❤ Andrew's Interviews: Some of my favorites (Thread Updated 3/02/23)

I’ve listened to most of Andrew’s dialogues over the past few years and have often bought the (audio) books by these folks after listening to their discussions. I thought it might be worthwhile to pick out a few of my favorites that relate to many of the threads that I believe are currently of general interest to many people here (or not). For newer members coming into the Night Club, the amount of material may be overwhelming, so perhaps a few recommendations would be helpful.

Some of his well-known, seminal guests such as Steven LaBerge, Claire Johnson, Ken Wilbur, Robert Thurman, Robert Waggoner and Alan B. Wallace are self-evidently worthwhile. The recent two-parter with David Bache is the current posting and well worth a listen to, and contemplation. I hope other Night clubbers will post a few of their favorites, as well.

For each of these dialogues, check out the linked blurb page for further info to help you decide if you want to listen. Listening time is an investment, so spend it wisely. Some of my choices are as follows:

Fr. Francis Tiso. Fascinating discussion with a Christian mystic (my term) about “Rainbow Bodies” left by enlightened beings, including those that he has investigated. It’s a phenomenon that has true heart quality. Andrew often cites this interview when mentioning The Shroud of Turin and the image burned in it, believed to be of divine origin. Brilliant scholar and folksy too.

Exploring The Nature Of Mind And Reality With Neuroscientist Ruben Laukkonen. Andrew quotes his line that “Staying in the present moment is annihilation” and has a very deep conversation about meditation and discusses his excellent research paper— “Meditation and the plasticity of predictive mind” downloadable on his website. The conversation reminded me of two chums discussing deep stuff on a park bench, eating hot dogs, or maybe sipping wine in a faculty lounge. Very enjoyable.

Charlie Morley Podcast One of the earliest interviews when they didn’t know each other. I had just finished an in-person week-long retreat with Charlie and was glad he and Andrew connected. Very detailed interview where Charlie comes across as almost all heart. He is deeply involved in shadow work and does amazing retreats with veterans and PTSD. There is also a second interview covering his new book, Wake up to Sleep, which is excellent, especially if you are a fan of sleep. :grinning:

Guest Interview With Ryan Hurd - Part 1 | Paleolithic Mind, Polyphasic Cultures, Lucid Nightmares, and Much More! andrewholecek.com The first of two interviews with him that delves into lucid nightmares and lucid sex too. Both interviews really deal with how to engage different states of lucidity (my term). I will go back and re-listen sooner rather than later.

Interview with James Kingsland | Hypnosis, Virtual Reality,
Psychedelics, Hallucination and
I listened to this one while commuting to a retreat and it goes deep, with two books I listened to afterwards, Siddhartha’s Brain and Am I Dreaming?: The New Science of Consciousness and How Altered States Reboot the Brain With current discussions about the use of psychedelic substances this dialogue has added significance.

Interview with clinical psychologist and iRest founder Richard Miller, Phd | Night Club Podcast This is Yoga Nidra in a non-spiritual vein, which interested me, having used iRest over the phone with hundreds of other veterans, offered by the Veteran’s administration to help vets with PTSD. You could hear snoring on the phone as the instructor finished up the journey. I like how Miller was able to sneak this in under the door, so to speak, and get the government to support iRest and meditation, as well.

Interview with author and professor Roger Walsh, MD, PhD | Night Club Podcast Been a while since I heard this but I believe there are threads in this dialogue about reverse meditation and how to deal with addiction. As an addict, I was very interested!

The Exciting Future of VR, “Virtual Lucidity”, why Deepak Chopra said VR will “Change the World” and Much More! | Interview with Jordan Quaglia I have an Oculus Quest and experience the power of virtual reality and really enjoyed this interview as a stakeholder. If you haven’t experienced VR, it’s good time to start (Christmas gift?)

Interview with Elizabeth Mattis Namgyel. Very interesting, elegant and inspiring dialogue with a real live Dakini. Andrew steers the conversation to openness, emptiness and deeper investigations of the empty fluid nature of who we are. Elizabeth discusses how her philosophy of emptiness has changed the way she thinks and lives. Terrific stream of conscious. Love the conversation about openness and near-enemies. Everything counts because of relationships. I love her take on meditation!

Interview with Dustin DiPerna A wow interview! I really liked his focus on the quartet of Waking Up, Growing Up, Cleaning Up and Showing Up! The best explanation of this that I’ve heard. One of the most entertaining dialogues— he and Andrew hit it off on the integral approach, “Truth, wherever we find it.” I liked Dustin’s discussion of “Golden Eyes.” It reminded me of a specific activity Charlie Morley uses during his “shadow” retreat called “Seeing The Buddha in Others.” I still can get teary thinking about it.

Interview #35 - Fariba Bogzaran Amazing interview. A real treasure. She’s given me the motivation to go back over my last two, three years of writing down dreams, most of which I can understand, despite my poor handwriting. I’ve never had a pre-cognitive dream, although I did have one that awakened me minutes before a disaster, so maybe that qualifies. Can’t believe how rich this dialogue is. “I try to have one highlight each day!” She even mentions the importance of dream sharing with family, which provides welcome reinforcement for the work of our excellent Dream Sharing Group. The only interview in this series that I have ever listened to again right after the first hearing.

A Heartfelt Journey into the World of Devotion with renowned Kirtan musician Krishna Das [#39] Loved the Kirtan he sings which combines Hindu devotional music with the Yardbirds’ “For Your Love.” I have this track on my iPhone. Concert pianist Andrew offers his own short classical piece for Krishna Das’ enjoyment. Ours too. Lovely, lovely interview.

Interview with Daniel Love Daniel has a non-spiritual perspective on lucid dreaming and has a very successful YouTube channel promoting all things connected with LDs. He’s a very charismatic presenter and reaches so many of the same conclusions as Andrew, but from a very different path. I know someone who works with him and I really like how that’s progressing.

A “State Of The Union” Look At Lucid Dreaming With Neuroscientist Benjamin Baird [#39]. Love the conversation and the directions it takes including a focus on consciousness and experimentation. I particularly liked the discussion about Galantamine, being a frequent user.

The Role Of Sound On The Path Of Healing And Spiritual Practice With Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary Andrew mentioned that mantras are protection for the mind and in this interview he has an interesting discussion with Kulreet about using sound for healing. Enjoyed her book too.

https://nightclub.andrewholecek.com/?s=Pema+Chodron. Andrew mentions Pema Chodron frequently because she speaks so well about so many facets of Dharma to western students. Her hyper-lucid dream experiences make fascinating listening, as does her encounter with “Richie’s Plank Experience” that Andrew sometimes references for show the power of virtual reality. “Bardo practice” pause power! Her description of Trungpa’s advice for Dream Yoga is worth the price of a listen, as is her pause practices. Her influence in Buddhist publishing makes an interesting read, as well.

https://community.nightclub.andrewholecek.com/t/swami-sarvapriyananda-and-the-world-of-advaita-vedanta/6472 Swami Sarvapriyananda and the world of Advaita Vedanta. Excellent dialogue with a Vedanta master. I first read “Autobiography of a Yogi” in the '60s and have always admired Vedanta practices and wisdon, so I was glad to listen to the give and take here with so much knowledge gap filling! At the bottom of the page I posted another video of The Swami discussing Knowing and Being. I loved his advice on how to master ones flickering mind in the spot called “The Razor’s Edge,” coincidentally the name of the book that first aroused my interest The Path.

12 Likes

Thanks a lot for this list. I am new to this community, but not new to lucid dreaming and this opens up new perspectives and worlds for me.

1 Like

Great list many that I still have not checked out.

So much wealth of resources on this site

1 Like

New person question. I am unable to view any of the links. I have a “12 Month Night Club Membership.” Do I need to upgrade to Premium to view them? Thank you.

1 Like

$99 year, I believe, but I hope Alissa will chime in.

A wonderful summary list - Thank you so much Barry; there is so much to choose from and it’s very helpful to have a Yogi like you give us some pointing out wrt so much wisdom :pray:t4:

2 Likes

@_Barry good pick, Barry. But… how could you have forgotten:

https://community.nightclub.andrewholecek.com/t/interview-with-b-alan-wallace/399

:wink:

2 Likes

Didn’t forget! Didn’t want to hog all the recommendations either. Why not encapsulate that interview for any folks unfamiliar with him? I wanted to highlight so many of the great conversations that many people new to the 'Club may not be aware of their contributions. In addition, Andrew references many interviews in his webinars and retreats, so I thought I’d highlight them as well.

2 Likes

I have warched his interview with Swami Sarvapriyananda close to a half dozen times, its one of my favorites and it gets in to some really deep topics.

I have a Dream journal, now Imgot to get an Andrew Journal and start taking notes during all of Andrews videos becuase they are saturated with so much deep knowledge and wisdom.

2 Likes

Did you watch the followup video I posted? If not, it’s amazing too.

1 Like

One of my favorite interviews that I have seen so far is this one:

Delson Armstrong gets into detail about the stages of meditation and just how deep the meditative practice can go.

Would highly recommend his 2 videos to anyone who is interested in advancing their meditation practices.

1 Like

N, did not see that one yet. Awesome! Thank you my firend will check that out tonight :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some of the new interviewees I like to hear are as follows:

• Lama Glenn Mullin Buddhist Author, Lecturer and Teacher. Glenn H. Mullin is a Tibetologist, Buddhist writer, translator of classical Tibetan literature, and teacher of Tantric Buddhist meditation. He teachings on The Six Yogas of Naropa/Naguma provide important preliminary practices for Dream Yoga, Sleep Yoga and Clear Light Yoga. He’s written books about all the Dali Lamas, female dieties and is quite a colorful speaker. Website: https://www.glennmullin.com

• Bruce Lipton Bruce H. Lipton, PhD is an internationally recognized leader in bridging science and spirit. His presentation at the recent Sleep Super Summit was the highlight of the seven day event. He declared, “We’re nothing but broadcasts.” Andrew often cites his book, The Biology of Belief, as an excellent one, particularly the chapter on raising children. Website: https://www.brucelipton.com

• Sergio Magaña the Mexico City-based founder of the Centro Energético Integral School, is a respected healer and the author of two books: The Dawn of the Sixth Sun and Caves of Power . Surrounded by time-honored Mexican spiritual practices since childhood and later initiated into the ancient Toltec lineage, Sergio directs a project with Club UNESCO for the protection/ preservation of ancient Toltec/Aztec knowledge and the ancient pyramids of Mexico and travels the world lecturing and teaching. He’s co-taught workshops with Charlie Morley and I would love to hear his approach to lucid dreaming which is spiritual, but non-Eastern and non-Western too! Website: https://sergiomagana.com

• David Nichtern David Nichtern is a senior Buddhist teacher who has been practicing and teaching meditation for over 40 years. He was one of the initial American students of renowned meditation master Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche and studied closely with him soon after his arrival in the United States in 1970. His book Awakening from the Daydream: Reimagining the Buddha’s Wheel of Life, in my opinion, is among the best at explaining how to use this amazing teaching tool for modern day practitioners. As a relative beginner this helped me understand and use the Wheel of Life as nothing else I’ve encountered. Website: David Nichtern

• Jade Shaw OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCE & ASTRAL PROJECTION EXPERT. Jade is an Out of Body Experience (OBE) researcher and Astral Projection teacher that advocates expanded states of consciousness for personal and collective change. I’d like to hear her perspectives on the OBE and how it relates to dreaming and illusory body practices. Website: About - Jade Shaw

• Richard Davidson Dr. Davidson is the William James and Vilas Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin–Madison and the Founder and Director of the Center for Healthy Minds. He is best known for his groundbreaking work studying emotion and the brain. A friend and confidante of the Dalai Lama, he is a highly sought after expert and speaker, leading conversations on well-being on international stages such as the World Economic Forum, where he serves on the Global Council on Mental Health. Time Magazine named Davidson one of “The 100 Most Influential People in the World” in 2006. I was alive in 2006.

• Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche Founder and spiritual director of Ligmincha International, Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is a respected and beloved teacher and meditation master in the Bön Buddhist tradition of Tibet. He has students in more than 25 countries, teaches around the world and reaches thousands of students through his online programs. Trained as a Bön monk, Rinpoche now lives as a householder, allowing him to more fully relate to the needs and concerns of his students. Known for the depth of his wisdom and his unshakeable commitment to helping students recognize their true nature, he is the author of many books and online courses. His book, The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep: Practices for Awakening has just been reissued. I believe Andrew will be interviewing him soon! Website Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche | Ligmincha

2 Likes

have not watched any of them yet, so many great videos, so little time!

Will try to view a few of those this weekend

1 Like

Looking forward to your reactions.

1 Like

I have been rewatching Andrews videos on Dreams of Light, and in them he brings up this interview with Fariba Bogzaran several times and Andrew also said it was one of the best interviews he did all year!

I would have to agree with you both. Fantastic! I was not expecting her to bring up and mention Premonition dreams, so that was a very nice surprise. She also said that her mother had a premonition dream that ended up helping Fariba. It is very meaningful for me to see how many people on here have mentioned these types of dreams.

I believe they are far more common place than people realize. I also believe that you @_Barry have had them, but they may be disguised in metaphors in your dream journal. Do some good detective work and analysis, and it would not shock me if you unearthed a few.

Things to look for would be dreams that were more vivid than usual, and or had or left you with a very powerful lingering emotion. These dreams have a unique texture and vibe that is difficult to put to words, but have the ‘i know it when i see it’ feel to them.

Last night I prayed and asked subconscious to send me a meaningful dream of something it wanted to communicate to me. aimwas shocked with the reply. Not sure if it was a premonition dream or not, but had similar texture, and also had another key feature: I woke up with a song playing in my head that I had not heard in years Beyonces Halo. I am not a big fan of hers, and have never jammed out to that song, but I think it is pretty good. In the past with premonition dreams, this has happened: Left with a strong emotion, meaningful song playing, and a very strong desire to find a pen and paper and write the dream down as fast as I can!

I also listened to part of B. Alan Wallaces Interview last night before bed. Forgot most of it, but I really liked what he said about meditation in the beginning. He also mentions having premonition dreams in this interview.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve had things in my life that I always “knew” would happen, either from dreams or dreamlike encounters during the waking dreams that came to pass. Pretty much everything that I visioned has happened and now I’ve turned my attention to “The dream at the end of time” as Andrew phrases it. Interesting about having songs in our mind when we wake, it’s almost like there is a separate audio track some where in there. Bruce Lipton, with one of his truly amazing takes, mentions that in a sense, we are all/all we are, are “broadcasts” from outside influences, but we mistake our existence for solid material reality (my interpretation of what I heard).

1 Like