Dark Retreat

Full-blown dark retreat is a big part of bardo yoga, but entry-level time in the dark can be fruitful. Aaron Rogers seems to think so. I know the director of the center where Aaron is going, great guy doing really good things. - Andrew

3 Likes
1 Like

There is a promo for guided meditations with Headspace.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’d love to be able to do a dark retreat sometime. I’ve done a DIY dark retreat at home with a facemask and earmuffs but my responsibilities only allow me to do it for about 4 hours at a time. Even that is transformative in it’s only little way. A good reboot from the constant stimulation that’s every day life today.

2 Likes

Great video, thought it was reallyncool how he commented on how vivid the colors were after. Kind of like what happens with taste after you fast.

1 Like

Buddhist teachings emphasize that for longer dark retreats preparatory exercises are strongly recommended and that one should have a knowledgable person checking up daily during the retreat. The opportunity of dark retreat is used for specific practices of dzogchen. As one lama once mentioned, otherwise it’s kind of like watching tv.

4 Likes

Andrew mentions his dark retreats as being much longer, but I like the idea of people thinking more about looking towards the dark and away from constant light, stimulation and distraction. Much like the T.M. explosion led to many exploring meditation in the '60s and beyond, perhaps some folks may go further into looking for less stimulation and pay more attention to engaging their minds.

2 Likes