Artistic representations of dreams (paintings, video etc)

My friend Elizabeth made an amazing video and painting of her very evocative Church - Graveyard dream.

Painting:

Link to video (1:45)

Her description:

I had this dream several years ago (the original drawing is first, swipe right for the VR paintings). I was with two other women in a church graveyard, standing around an open grave. The first woman pushed the second woman into the grave, and the second woman laughed up at us because she thought it was funny. We thought it was funny too, and laughed with each other. Then the first woman disappeared. I looked down into the grave again, and saw that the second woman had turned into a skeleton which was laying on a rusty metal grate. I peered through the earth into the grave next to hers, and saw endless skeletons on rusty grates stacked on top of each other, seeming to go down into the earth forever. The whole thing took place on a really nice sunny day, in the graveyard of a church that looked like a little jewel box in the distance.

I’m still trying to figure out what this dream was about. I think part of it is about recognizing the influence of past generations. I also recall having several dreams about death at the time, and most of them were filled with anxiety and fear. This dream was strikingly different in tone, which I have always found fascinating.

I did not dream about the interior of the church. But as I was recreating the scene in Tilt Brush, my conscious mind wanted to know what was inside. A standard church setting didn’t feel right, and eventually I landed on this mystical tree growing out of the same dirt from the gravesites. I’m honestly not sure whether this imagery belongs in the dream; it feels neither right nor wrong to me. I am interested in seeing how my conscious and subconscious visual material interact with each other as I work on 3D dream drawings. This was an interesting dream to work on… after I had constructed the grave, I would go into it and look up at the sky, which felt unnerving. But eventually, that feeling wore off. (Mostly.)

The ability of artists to use programs like Tilt Brush to recreate their dreams as a 3D environment that can either be displayed as a video or explored directly in virtual reality is quite an exciting development.

~ArthurG

4 Likes