Does quantum mechanics favor Buddhist philosophy?

The way I see it, pure awareness is totally non-dual as it occurs before perception. It takes 250 ms for the signal from our senses to be processed by our brain. That quarter second is enough time for dualism to take hold as our karmic conditioning creates a “perception” of that non-dual awareness.

Agreed…with the minor exception that I’d say that rigpa, i.e. pure empty awareness, is really only present before perception because perception is the process of identifying a phenomenon relative to our pre-conditioned data files.

I make a clear distinction between pure awareness and perception.

There is no independent reality. No thing has a true inherent self-nature. All things are fully dependent upon the conditions of their arising.

That said, all things exist in some form due to that on-going interdependence. We (and the bee) only see a form of that “existence” that is beneficial to our survival. Our minds “compress” the data into a form that we can process and use, as does the bee.

I am looking at a computer screen right now to type this. All I need to see is the screen with the characters appearing on it as I type. I do not need to see all of the electronics and such that make that screen what it is.

Definitely agree with that.

2 Likes

Yes! It must be conditioned perception that reifies dualistically.

Absolutely agree.
Nevertheless, if we use the term „exist“, aren‘t we falling back into the trap of reification, which implies that there is a thing (flower) out there?

There is an experience humans can agree on called „flower“. And there is an experience bees could agree on, which would be definitely different than the human experience of „flower“.
But, there is no object which could universally be called „flower“.
So, aren‘t we living in an illusion that there are objects out there which are just being interpreted differently?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I think there IS a “thing” out there. It just isn’t what we think it is. The “reification trap” is sprung when we decide that it is a “flower”. If we take the concern about reification too far we risk sliding into nihilism. Between nihilism and reification lies the middle way.

I think we definitely are living in the illusion that there are things called “flowers”. We gave them that label due to our conditioning. The bee just sees a shaped object that has the nectar that the bee needs. The bee does not have a metacognitive perspective…it just sees our “flower” as a nectar source. Perhaps the bee is experiencing pure awareness…bee rigpa. :sunglasses:

When we are not there to see a flower and the bee is not there to get nectar, that phenomenon that we each identify differently still exists…because it is being brought into existence by itsinterations with the dirt and the sun and the water and the wind. It has no name…it just is…suchness.

2 Likes

Hey Steve, I am truely enjoying this discussion!

Almost agreed, in the good spirit of debate allow me to friendly challenge some detail points:

When postulating that „there IS a thing out there, although it isn‘t what we think it is“ this is still a form of representationalism and dualism.
In order to define a thing out there, there needs to be some sort of boundary to be drawn around „it“ - making it an object, an „it“. By definition, it is identified by those attributes which are inside the boundary and by reverse logic segregated from that which does not share its attributes, that which is outside its boundaries.
We see the flower in a certain way and subconsciously segregate and reify it as an object and mentally classify it as „flower“.
Now, representationalism postulates that there really is something out there (i.e. outside of me) which we cannot perceive in the object’s entirety but can just be interpreted in different ways by the senses of different perceivers. Nevertheless, that is reification.
if one would probe deep with a powerful microscope into the matter of the flower, say its pedal, one would first perceive atoms, then subatomic particles, and in the end quantum foam, which - at that level of magnifcation - would not be different to the quantum foam to be found if one would have examined any other object or „empty“ space itself, instead of the flower.
So, where on the way has the flower lost its classification as an object?

One view is that it was never an object in the first place.

That does not mean that the experience of a flower is not real, it just means, that it is not an object.

Believing that experiencing a flower or anything else for that matter is not real, would be nihilism, and an extremism.

Yes, although I personally believe that all sentient beings reify to some sort, since as you say, it is useful in an evolutionary sense.

[quote=“Steve_Gleason, post:24, topic:5343”]
When we are not there to see a flower and the bee is not there to get nectar, that phenomenon that we each identify differently still exists…[/quote]

In my view: Yes and no.
No, the experience/perception of the formerly perceived phenomenon „flower“ does not exist without the perceiver being present.

Yes, the configuration of space and energy which we mentally reify and represent as „flower“ (from a specific framework of human perception) remains seemingly stable enough to be potentially perceived in this specific way by only this specific type of perceiver.
This potentiality does not disappear when the perceiver is not present.

But careful, it is not the reified flower which continues to exist, it is just the configuration of space/energy which potentially allows certain referential frameworks (e.g. humans) to perceive it as a stable phenomenon. This perception is then being reified as an „object“.

2 Likes

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I am enjoying this dialog.

Remember that we must exist in a dualistic state as well as a state of non-dualism. I could not be typing this without a dualistic, boundary-centric relationship with this keyboard. But I just stopped typing and did a two minute meditation where I dissolved those boundaries and let form become emptiness again. We need to be both at the same time to exist in this world.

I love boiling things down to quantum foam! But when you work back up the other way the flower becomes a self-organized entity. At every stage of that self-organization it exists relative to how it is being observed or experienced.

The use of the word “object” catches me up a bit as it implies some sort of specific physicality. I think the flower exists as an “entity” at every level of its self-organization process but it does not exist as a “flower” until I reach down and pick it. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

After reading Book VI of "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines " this morning I wanted to get back to this discussion, specifically as it relates to how quantum theory postulates that all matter is formed from the quantum foam that forms as a few particles escape from matter/anti-matter annihilation in the quantum vacuum and begin the process of self-organization.

Book VI speaks of the Path of the Five Wisdoms. The foundation wisdom is “the All Pervading Wisdom of Dharma-Dhatu (‘Seed, or Potentiality, of Truth’), or the Wisdom born of Dharma-Kaya (‘Divine Body of Truth’) in its aspects as the All-Pervading Voidness. The Dhrma-Dhatu is symbolized by the Aggregate of Matter, whence spring all physical forms, animate and inanimate, visible and invisible

This passage supports the idea that Buddhist philosophy may, in fact, be helping to support quantum mechanics.

2 Likes

And so it does not exist as such an object outside the frame of reference of observation/experience. Only within such a specific frame „exists“ the experience we call flower.

„Entity“ is for me just another word for „object“ which implies something self-standing, independent of subject.
How about:
„… the flower exists by convention as an “experience” (not an object) due to its temporal configuration of sensory-perceivable attributes“

The disruptive challenge to our conditioned mind is: „The flower does not exist, The experience we call „flower“ does exist.“

So, does the flower „disappear“ when we do not experience „it“?
Alert! Reification-Trap! The question implies that the answer fits into the question‘s underlying premises, that the question is posed validly…

The flower can not disappear since it was never there as an „object“ in the first place…

Practically, the experiential phenomenon we call flower is reproducable by similar types of referents. And yes, the causes and conditions for allowing a reproducable experience we call flower are not instantaneously disappearing when the observer withdraws his/her mode of perception. The experience does disappear instantaneously.

So, we have the perfect illusion that there is an „object“ out there.

Just like we nowadays perfectly accept that the perception of the sun moving through the sky is due to the earth‘s rotation… that is of course perfectly true from an wider inertial reference point of view.

Nevertheless, physics has no preference for this or that inertial frame of reference, thus, one could describe the observation of the sun‘s movements and all other celestial motions also from the inertial reference of a still standing earth planet, which was the common view centuries ago.

So, since the universe has no preference for one inertial reference system over another, both views are valid. For an outer observer, the earth rotates around its axis, but also for an inner observer which is rotating withe the earth the cosmos is rotating around the earth.

The point is, that there is no one single, perfect, only valid reference point from which phenomena can be described in their entirety and which could explain also observations made from other reference points.
The choice of reference point dictates and limits the experience of the phenomenon.
As a human, the flower will be experienced in the specific way, totally different from the bee‘s experience and even more different from the view of an elementary particle passing through the flower.

Isn’t any so-called „object“ a reified construct in our minds? Just like „Indian Summer“ or „Chocolate Chip Ice cream“ ? (check your inner eye if your mind just started to reify the ice cream! ;-] mine did. So what really is that? That is „flower“, „ice cream“, etcpp.

I actually just experienced „ice cream“ a couple of minutes ago… the „ice cream“ was a tasty sensory experience. Just experience, no object.

No object, no calories! :wink:
(just joking, cause and effect is sadly valid also for experiences…)

3 Likes

I’ll start with this…

One thing that always strikes me is the fact that what I am “seeing” right at this moment will never be seen by anyone else…ever. And…if you were standing right next to me looking at the exact same “thing”…we would each be “seeing” something completely different.

I create my world in the ceaseless unfolding of the infinite moment.

More later…been a long day in the office. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

But the question remains…does it exist at all outside of the framework of the observer? I would say that it does exist in some form due to other natural “measuring” conditions’

I believe that it did exist…but not as an entity that was being identified as a flower.

Absolutely. But…absent the mind of an observer that object still exists. I stand in an empty forest and turn 360 degrees in place. I reify as forest that which I observe. That which I have just observed but can no longer see has not become no-thing, though.

Our mind takes in the data that we observe and compresses it into a form that serves our survival. I need to see the trees (form) to know my place in the system. From my perspective, perhaps the mass of the forest recedes into a wave state (emptiness?) when I am no longer seeing it. After all…form is emptiness and vice versa, right?

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey Steve, first of all let me say that at least for me the arguments and counter arguments sharpen and deepen the intellectual understanding of emptiness. Greatly appreciated!

As synchronicities go, just a few days ago I listened to B. Alan Wallace’s recording of the Autum 2014 retreat, specifically session Sept 26pm @24:40 min, in which he describes the classical discussion which we seem to be leading here: it’s essentially metaphysical realism vs. Yogachara view (as I learned). As I remember @Andrew lectured on these two view’s in interviews as well.

Regarding your last post:

Metaphyscial realism postulates that there is such thing as an object.
Yogachara postulates that “object” is an illusion.

Here are the paradoxi at which I still bang my head against:

When we ask ourselves: „ …does it (the „object““) exist at all outside of the framework of the observer?“ we are unconsciously postulating two questionable dogmas, we hold as universally true:

a) it (the object) is an entity, which means effectively that it is something independent from a subject and is „out there“, being physically separated from other „objects“
b) exist - in a dualistic world the concept of existence or its counterpart „non-existence“ does make sense from that dualistic reference point. But does the term also make sense outside of a dualistic view? And is the dualistic view of reality really the most accurate view or perhaps only a crude but evolutionary useful mode of perceiving, interacting and surviving?

Regarding:
a) Is it possible to have an „object“ outside of the framework of the observer?

• I would argue that this is not possible because:
    An object is always defined by a system-boundary, which defines what belongs to the object and what does not and which is defined by the specific nature of the observer.
    E.g. The dualistic human perception draws an arbitrary, primarily visual system-boundary around the sensory phenomenon called „mountain“ . For a human, the mountain ends perhaps at the visual boundary between the flat plain and the first perceivable slopes and the peak and the surrounding air.

A tiny insect would draw the boundary of “objects” totally differently than a human being, depending on its sensory aggregates due to its small size and limited perception.

Depending on the observer‘s limited sensory perception field relative to the dimensions of the perceivable phenomenon, observer-specific system-boundaries will be drawn.

If there would be universally true system-boundaries independent of the type of observers. which possible criterion could be used to draw exactly these system-boundaries?
If universally true, these system-boundaries would always need to be the same for the „object“, so the same for a human as for a flea as for an elementary particle, etc.

Thus, there can be no universally valid system-boundary defining an object independently of the framework of the observer.
Conversely, objects can thus only be defined dependently of the framework of the observer.

But if that is true, then different frameworks of observers will perceive different realities.

and are mental constructs specific to the mind of the specific type of observer.

So, if there is no absolute, universal valid viewpoint from which a specific object can be defined, how can there be an independently existent object at all?

So, does this logic mean that for example the moon would disappear if there would be no one that would perceive it - not even a single tiny creature?

From the view of metaphyiscal realism: “No, the object would not disappear.”
From the view of Yogachara (as I understand it): "The question does not make sense, since it postulates that objects exist independently. Would the question be: "Do the specific conditions instantaneously disappear for a specific observer to have a very similar experience, when he/she returns his/her perception? The answer would also be “No, they don’t disappear”.

Yogachara would argue that “technically” speaking the moon is not an object because an object is just a mental construct, a mental model which is useful in mentally representing/modeling sensory phenomena which are specific to the type of observer. There is no such thing as objects (in that sense!) out-there. (Side bar: “out-there” is in that view also a mental construct and does not exist in that sense).

Since our languages are structured in a dualistic manner, the noun „moon“ signifies an object and - due to our mode of mental operation - effectively veils that experience is truncated into subject and object. Perhaps one could call it an oversimplification of the dynamics of reality.

As I understand it, Yogachara would argue that the view that there are “objects” is an illusion which still perfectly describes what we experience, but remains nevertheless an illusion.

2 Likes

I am struggling with the terms “object” and “entity” as they bring a great deal of specificity in to the discussion and they definitely imply a specific “subject”.

Perhaps the Heart Sutra can help us here. The idea of a boundary is important to my understanding of the form/emptiness relationship. I am taking some liberties in my view of those terms. In the spirit of this thread I am equating form to the particle state and emptiness to the wave state. When a wave is measured, boundaries are created and it becomes an object. The form that object appears as, however, is completely dependent on the perception of the subject. I see it as a tree…the bird sees it as something else.

But in this physical world it seems as though all physical manifestations are being constantly measured in one way or another…boundaries are constantly shifting and changing but they exist in some form. But…they remain illusory in nature because that form is fully dependent upon the conditioned perspective of the observer.

If we could observe the world from some sort of fully interdependent perspective…one where we were witnessing ALL subjective perspectives at once…perhaps it would appear as a blurred flux of constantly changing form that is all the while empty of true self nature. :wink:

This works for me.

2 Likes

I just read back through this entire discussion, including reading that super cool article from @_Barry about the quantumly entangled drums.

This kind of discussion is so difficult because we just do not have the language to get past where we already are with within the relationship between science and Buddhist philosophy, or specifically, as @KhyungMar spoke of, the principles of yogachara.

I have been listening to Donald Hoffman again this morning and he does not mince his words when he says that science only studies what we see in “the headset”. I would propose that the ancient wisdom in the old Buddhist texts gives us glimpses of the “code” behind what happens in the headset.

I would further propose that we have that code within us…with which we can challenge the very substance of reality as we currently know it. Perhaps though discussions such as this one we can start to access those hidden perspectives.

2 Likes

I agree with this, although I believe it is only part of the code—at one level—since there may well be levels of coding as we see in machine code versus DOS, MSDOS, OS, Android etc…

1 Like

Totally agree. The premise is that what we see is only a fraction of the depth of reality…just as much as we can handle.

The cool thing is that the other premise is that once we get down to those other levels of “code” we should be able to that new understanding to create some very cool new “realities”…new “headsets”.

In the spirit of this most excellent thread, a lot of the old Buddhist texts seem to intimate this same thing about “reality”.

2 Likes

Yes, I think they are very helpful. If one follows B.Alan Wallace’s teachings, then access to those hidden perspectives will be a result of practice… (e.g. Shamata and hopefully reaching first dhyana one day). Now that’s a challenge :wink:

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

In Brukner’s theory proposal, observers do not need to be conscious, they must merely be able to establish facts in the form of a measurement outcome. An inanimate detector would therefore be a valid observer. And textbook quantum mechanics gives us no reason to believe that a detector, which can be made as small as a few atoms, should not be described as a quantum object just like a photon.

This is something to ponder. If light can be “the observer” that causes apparent creation through wave collapse…then we could easily be creating our world continuously in the luminous emptiness of the self-aware non-conceptual mind.

2 Likes

…there must be more to reality than what quantum mechanics could describe.

This is something else to ponder. :sunglasses:

2 Likes