Does quantum mechanics favor Buddhist philosophy?

Reminds me of a verse from “Jobs Tears” by the Incredible String Band, (obscure Bardo musicians from the '60s)

Stranger than that we’re alive
Stranger than that
Stranger than that
Whatever you think
It’s more than that, more than that

2 Likes

yeah, on a sub-atomic level that might hold true, the article continues:
It may also be possible that standard quantum mechanics does not apply at large length scales, but testing that is a separate problem.

What puzzles me in these theories is:
If it’s a valid model that on a quantum level a wave function “collapses” by observation by a “detector” (without consciousness, as described) and takes on a destinctive state, how can this model then describe the formation and duration of large macroscopic objects, which should be then accordingly conglomarate clusters of quantum-level objects forming large scale objects?
What keeps the consistency of this macroscopic form together and works against entropy?
Even if the clusters are in flux and are constantly changing, the large scale observed properties show a certain continuity for the duration of the life of the macrosopic object, so which force or dynamic is securing this “order” versus entropy?
So, what’s going on on macrosopic level, that question is still completely unanswered (for me as lay person)?

2 Likes

Can it be a question of perspective? If we had a certain perspective on any level there might be no difference at any size of shape of what is observed.

2 Likes

Barry, I think perspective plays a major role. Let me chew on this a bit more…

1 Like

It does seem that the macrocosm and the microcosm are playing by different rules, right?

As I see it combining quantum mechanics with general relativity is one of the problems that have many cutting edge scientists convinced that the entire idea of spacetime is doomed. The consensus is that there has to be a different set of “rules” that we have yet to find that unifies the two.

I have just finished reading “Progressive Stages of Meditation On Emptiness” by Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche. One statement that struck me near the end was this:

“From The Shentong point of view, the luminous self-aware non-conceptual mind that is experienced in meditation, when mind is completely free from concepts, is Absolute Reality (bold added).

It seems to me that Absolute Reality…that which may exist and operate beyond the confines of spacetime, may be exactly what we are seeking here with this unifying theory. Perhaps it lies within us. :wink:

3 Likes

Please regard this as poem from intuition:

*I feel the key is that mind is taking form.

Mind taking form is „taking perspective“.

Mind taking form defines other forms and allows interaction with other forms.

The mind that takes larger form is not exactly the same as the fleeting, instable mind that takes on subtle mental forms.

But they are of the same nature, the latter is the temporary expression of the former.
As a single rain drop relates to the rain cloud.

The mind that takes large form is a stream flowing and changing, thereby defining its own time.

„Object“ only has meaning for mind that has taken form.*

Without really knowing anything myself, but I would bet that the day we understand the process of form dissolution leading to rainbow body, we would thereby understand the reverse process of how forms are constituted by mind.

3 Likes

Came upon this today. sounds like ‘no-self’ Independent arising to me:

4 Likes

I agree.

I wonder about that last quote, though:

"Reality, including ourselves, is nothing but a thin and fragile veil, beyond which … there is nothing.”

I might say something like this instead:

This reality, including ourselves, is nothing but a thin and fragile veil, beyond which … there is primordial energetic emptiness that is filled with the uncreated and unborn.

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

„ On this view, the world is an intricate web of interrelations, such that objects no longer have their own individual existence independent from other objects “

That is exactly the definition of „emptiness“.

And, I agree with the view that objects are illusions, as described.

But, the final conclusion the article makes is not conclusive, though:

This is just a new form of describing a nihilistic world view, in which „no-object“ is equated with „nothing“.

2 Likes

Yes!
Maybe the day quantum physicists will explore rigpa, we will be much closer to bridge the gap between quantum phenomena and macroscopic phenomena.

P.S.To the nihilist world-view: a mirror of „nothing“ relecting nothing would show nothing. But that is obviously not the case, otherwise why are we then able to observe phenomena at all?
So, what - if not rigpa - is the organizing principle of empty phenomena?

3 Likes

I just have to applaud all of you for helping me reach new levels of understanding through your incredible and thoughtful dialogue. I honestly consider myself blessed to be witness to you all :gift_heart::pray:

THANK YOU!!!

@KhyungMar @Steve_Gleason @_Barry

3 Likes

Here is a very concise expose of all things quantum. It is a clear and entertaining look at the quantum side of this discussion of the universe.

2 Likes

The diagram at 32:23 is particularly interesting. :grinning:

Definitely! I took a screen shot of that for further ponderation.

The idea that spacetime breaks down after 10-35 magnification is crucial to the understanding that spacetime and all of the physical rules that we live under have to have arisen from something deeper.

…that would, of course, be the primordial energetic emptiness. :sunglasses:

I am also quite intrigued by the idea of multiple parallel universes that could have completely different physical characteristics. Perhaps it is possible to cross between them in times of deep meditation and even in dreams or possibly the liminal spaces between them. That would explain a few things…like the siddhis accomplished by ancient (and modern day) mahasiddhas.

…and maybe unexplainable things like this: :wink:

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s that we have no way to measure deeper/shorter than that?

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the case. Donald Hoffman has said in a few of his various interviews that we have the tools to see deeper. He likes to use mathematical equations as proofs of theory and he is able to demonstrate that after that 10 -35 point theory is clear that spacetime falls apart.

I think it is important to note that our universe is incredibly precise at every level. It is so finely tuned in every aspect that even a slightest variation in the numerical values of the forces that hold things together and make everything function…would have made for a very different universe. It is as if it has been finely tuned for the evolution of life.

This from Stephen Hawking:

“The laws of science, as we know them at present, contain many fundamental numbers, like the size of the electric charge of the electron and the ratio of the masses of the proton and the electron. … The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life.”

Science is at a loss to explain this and it is considered to be somewhat metaphysical in nature.

I truly believe that many Buddhist practices such as Tummo, Trekcho and Trulkhor that use the gross body to develop and abide in the illusory body and the clear light mind are giving us access to a metaphysical path that can take us deeper than spacetime…deeper than light and beyond the dream. :wink:

2 Likes

I will absolutely watch this today or tomorrow. Thanks Steve!

1 Like

yes! You improved that conclusion …saved from nihilism!

1 Like

thanks for posting this vid. Will watch with pleasure.

1 Like

This just fits here: A rare photo of Schrödinger’s cat

3 Likes