Lucid dreaming / vr / biofeedback study seeks participants

Alexandra Kitson at Simon Fraser University is seeking participants for a study using biofeedback and virtual reality to attempt to train people to become lucid in dreams (details below). If I understand correctly it’s available to anyone who either lives near / can get to Vancouver BC or who have access to both an Oculus Quest + Muse 2 biofeedback device. The study takes about 90 minutes. If interested you can email Alexandra at akitson@sfu.ca

I have a Quest but I don’t currently have access to a Muse 2, otherwise I’d be all over this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How good is the Quest for VR? Is the Tai Chi app available?

2 Likes

The Quest is an amazing VR headset. Even though I have a much more powerful PC VR headset, I have almost exclusively been using the Quest for the past several months (probably averaging about an hour/day of use).

Yes, the Tai Chi app is available, and has become part of my daily practice. It’s a kind of moving meditation app, in a variety of beautiful environments, broken down into 5-minute sessions. I’m also using Tripp on a daily basis – that’s another kind of meditation app. I also play a couple of rhythm games (Beat Saber and Pistol Whip) daily; these are great for cultivating absorption and flow states.

~ArthurG

1 Like

Do you feel it has enhanced your lucid dreaming? If so, how?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say so, but then my lucid dreaming practice per se has been on the back burner for a fair while for various reasons. In general I’d say VR has probably influenced the content of my dreams in interesting ways but does not appear to have caused an increase in frequency of lucid dreaming.

~ArthurG

1 Like

Have you practiced Tai Chi before using this app? If so, comparisons?

1 Like

In the past I’ve spent periods of time taking Tai chi classes. I never got to the point where I could do an entire form on my own. I don’t think I could learn a long Tai chi form just from this app, at least not easily. It’s more challenging and interesting than I thought it would be, and well worth doing. I find it more useful to think of it as an app that gives me an opportunity to practice slow, mindful movement in beautiful “natural” environments, rather than to think of it as a Tai chi class. The app has an “arcade” mode where you are trying to get points – that does not interest me at all; a “flow” mode where you have forms that are about 5 minutes long – I usually do one of these per day; and a longer option where you would practice for 60 minutes (which I have not tried).

~ArthurG

1 Like

I used the Wii Fit to practice Yoga for a while. I found it to be really good. Looking forward to getting an Oculus this week.

1 Like

Cool, Barry. Oculus Quest? Feel free to friend me there if you want, username: Arthurji; email Arthur.V.Gillard@gmail.com

~ArthurG

Thanks. I do QiGong once a week and would like to have more frequent Qi practice.

1 Like

Have you used the Tripp app?

1 Like

Yes, I regularly use the Tripp app and quite enjoy it. :slight_smile:

~ArthurG

1 Like

It reminds me of shamanic journeys I’ve taken.

1 Like

This thread inspired me to pick up an oculus quest and it’s been a blast!

I expected it to be much more pixelated, the technology is already pretty far along.

2 Likes

What apps are you using?

1 Like

Hey, that’s the best news I’ve heard today, chris! Glad you’re enjoying your Quest; I love mine. I second Barry’s question, what apps are you using?

~ArthurG

1 Like

Hi! I love my Quest too… I’ve used the Tripp freebie and it’s pretty cool For anyone artistically inclined, my favorite is Tilt Brush. I can create my own environments for use with meditation - really amazing. And yes, it seems to already have had an effect on my lucid dreaming - last week I bounced out of a dream with a gray screen - it felt like it was mimicking how I exit some of my apps. Interesting.

3 Likes

Then, do you meditate with the Quest on? Isn’t the mask kind heavy for that?

1 Like

Sure - easier than sitting on a hard cushion with a straight back - ha! I forget about having the headset on pretty quickly as I get involved in the VR.

3 Likes

Interesting, I’ll give it a try.

2 Likes