Movie Night (Club) Movies [Partial List]

I’d like to get a list of the movies we’ve seen together on Saturday nights and perhaps we could have written discussions on those and/or for new ones going forward? In any case, the ones I remember are as follows:

• Mulholland Drive
  • My Octopus Teacher
  • Kubo and the Two Strings
  • The Matrix
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • The Waking Life
  • Seaspiricy
  • Krishna Daas

Please add any you remember. Since we spend a lot of time discussing them post-viewing, perhaps we can add the chats or have our evaluations listed with each movie. Just a thought.

4 Likes

Dreams, Kurasowa
Did we see Inception? :confused:

3 Likes

Yes Inception was a popular choice.

2 Likes

Hi all! Here’s a list of movies watched to date. We’ll find a good place to archive this list and keep updating it over time:

1. The Truman Show
  2. Waking Life
  3. The Nightmare Before Christmas
  4. The Matrix
  5. Cloud Atlas
  6. The Good Night
  7. Paprika
  8. The Science of Sleep
  9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  10. Groundhog Day
  11. Vanilla Sky
  12. Kubo and the Two Strings
  13. Aluna
  14. Avatar
  15. Dreams [Akira Kurosawa]
  16. Mulholland Drive
  17. Samsara
  18. Inception
  19. Kiss the Ground
  20. My Octopus Teacher
  21. David Attenborough: A Life on our Planet
  22. Seaspiracy
  23. Ram Dass, Going Home
  24. Wild Wild Country [Six Part Series]
2 Likes

My Ratings

• The Truman Show (pass)
  • Waking Life 10/10 Way better than I thought it would be
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas (10/10) Sandy Claws is coming to town!
  • The Matrix (10/10) The first is the best.
  • Cloud Atlas (Pass)
  • The Good Night (6.5/10) Sort of blah
  • Paprika (Pass)
  • The Science of Sleep (Pass)
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Pass)
  • Groundhog Day (10/10/10/10/10 . . ) Iconic movie
  • Vanilla Sky (2/10) On second viewing it loses almost everything good I remembered.
  • Kubo and the Two Strings (10/10) Loved the animation and the messages throughout the movie.
  • Aluna (10/10) Thanks to Dr. O’Malley for recommending this.
  • Avatar (9/10) Stands up after a few years. Looking forward to upcoming sequels.
  • Dreams [Akira Kurosawa] (10/10) Wow!
  • Mulholland Drive (Pass)
  • Samsara (.5/10) Glad I didn’t ask my wife to watch it with me.
  • Inception (10/10) My dreams should be that good.
  • Kiss the Ground (Pass)
  • My Octopus Teacher (10/10) Thanks to Glenn for recommending this one.
  • David Attenborough: A Life on our Planet (Pass)
  • Seaspiracy (10/10) One of the best made amateur documentaries I’ve ever seen, both for the subject and for the technical features of the movie.
  • Ram Dass, Going Home (9/10) Let’s all move to Hawaii.
  • Wild Wild Country [Six Part Series] (Pass)
3 Likes

Love your ratings (and helpful to see)! Groundhog Day has probably been my favorite to date too. Watching it in the group added a new appreciation for it. Does a “pass” mean you didn’t see it… or don’t want to rate it? :slight_smile: Excited to watch more movies together!

2 Likes

Just watched Seaspiracy. Heartbroken. But no regrets.

2 Likes

I personally found this film “The Cell” with Jennifer Lopez and Vince Vaughn to be an excellent depiction of what happens when we start to believe that “things” are real.

There’s a line in the film that goes:

“She’s lost, she thinks this is real”

I can’t help but think this applies to all of us. So many people are lost because they have forgotten what’s real and ultimately take the appearances in their consciousness as solid, lasting, and independent…I also feel the awakened ones have compassion and they’re the ones that “go in” to help wake us up. I feel the last four years of my life has been an act of grace and have felt guidance that has led me to these teachings. I’m waking up! Slowly… Haha

The movie also does such a great job of illustrating how the mind is indeed a dreamscape.

Here’s the trailer for anyone interested:

2 Likes

More thoughts about Pleasantville, the last viewing of the current series. I found this review from the legendary Siskel and Ebert from when it first came out. From a Buddhist perspective, I realized it could also be about relationships, since everything is co-dependent, and that this awareness is at the foundation of whatever, whomever, wherever we are.

…or was it just a dream? Either way, I recommend spending a couple of minutes watching How Inception Should Have Ended

3 Likes