Sogyal Rimpoche

I continue to find regular positive references to Sogyal Rimpoche’s “Tibetan Book of Living and Dying” in Andrew’s material, as well as other teachers (Pema Chodron).
I know that there is considerable controversy about his private behavior (abusing his followers in a variety of ways), and have seen at least one reference that claimed that he even lied about being trained as a lama.
Wondering if there is some sort of “semi-official” position about the value of his writings, in light of the material that has come about regarding his failings as a person.

3 Likes

I always check and judge by what others have to say about a book they’ve read, like on Amazon where there’s so many positive comments about Sogyal Rimpoche’s book “Tibetan Book of Living and Dying"

2 Likes

Andrew has mentioned a few times that he does not condone Sogyal Rimpoches behavior.

That being said, he has also mentioned that his book is more or less a masterpiece on the topic. Thats why I think he quotes him so much in Preparing to Die.

I have not read Sogyals book, but do plan to. The line “dont throw the baby out with the bath water” I think is fitting. If we as a society boycotted every 'product’we consume that is tied to a creator whose behavior was not perfect, there would be nothing left to consume. No one driving cars or wearing clothing or using smart phones.

One mans dirty laundry got aired for the world to see, most peoples dirty laundry will never see the light of day, including CEOs of nearly every product and seevice we use in our daily lives.

3 Likes

Here is what ChatGPT says about him:

Background: Sogyal Rinpoche was a respected Tibetan Dzogchen Lama of the Nyingma tradition. He was widely recognized for his book, “The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying,” which garnered significant acclaim for its insights into Tibetan Buddhism and its practices concerning death and dying.

Controversies:

1. Allegations of Abuse: In the later years of his life, Sogyal Rinpoche faced multiple accusations of physical, emotional, and sexual abuse from former students. These claims led to major discussions within the Buddhist community about teacher-student dynamics, consent, and the abuse of spiritual authority.

2. Questions on Authenticity of Teachings: Alongside personal misconduct, there were allegations concerning the authenticity of his role as a teacher, suggesting he might have misrepresented his qualifications and training. This called into question the legitimacy of his teachings and position within the Buddhist community.

Impact and Reactions:

1. Community Response: The allegations led to polarized responses. Some students and Buddhist figures defended Sogyal Rinpoche, attributing his actions to “crazy wisdom” — a controversial concept involving unconventional, shocking teaching methods. Others condemned his actions, considering them a violation of basic ethical standards.

2. Resignation: The controversy culminated in Sogyal Rinpoche’s resignation from the Rigpa organization, which he founded. This step was significant, as it represented a form of accountability prompted by the public and internal pressure within the Buddhist community.

3. Re-evaluation of Work: Post-allegations, there has been an ongoing debate regarding Sogyal Rinpoche’s literary and teaching contributions. Some individuals and institutions within the Buddhist community advocate for separating the teacher’s behavior from the value of his teachings, while others see the works as tainted by his alleged actions.

Legacy and Current Standing:

In the aftermath of his resignation and subsequent passing, the Buddhist community — both Western and traditional — has grappled with reassessing Sogyal Rinpoche’s legacy. For some, his writings remain valuable resources for understanding Tibetan Buddhist practices. For others, his alleged actions and the subsequent fallout overshadow his contributions, calling for a critical reassessment of how such works are approached and endorsed in teaching contexts.

As of now, there isn’t a universally accepted stance on this matter within the diverse and globally dispersed Buddhist community.

2 Likes