What are you reading?

Additional information about, The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa by T. Heruka (Chris Stagg translation). It’s all there! After reading this book I understand Andrew’s great affinity for this enlightened Yogi. It takes a while to get used to the information contained because it is not a story of his life, though a synopsis is included at the end of the book. The songs contain such profound details about the path to liberation and the place of our minds in the process. Advice on how to proceed on the path is simply amazing!

2 Likes

We go through liminal dreaming both when we go to sleep and when we wake up. In the former case it’s called the hypnagogic state, in the latter the hypnopompic state.

~ArthurG

2 Likes

Hey Moongate

I’ve not read those but am listening to Claire Johnson’s audiobook Dream therapy. It’s an interesting read although I feel It’s maybe not quite right for me yet. I need to improve my dream recall and stability before moving onto working with them. I admire Claire and her wonderful ability to lucid dream though.

Maybe someone could suggest a book for us all to read and then we could have a sort of book club talk after people have finished?

3 Likes

I love the sound of your sangha. Is it online or do you go somewhere in person?

2 Likes

Ok here are the books I have read and play to read since getting into lucid dreaming and meditation. Hope this helps anyone looking for books. I highly recommend the ones I’ve finished.

Reading:
Sleeping, dreaming and dying. Edited by Francisco j.varela
Dreaming Yourself Awake by Alan Wallace

Books yet to read:
Be as you are by David Godman, Sri Raman Maharishi
The attention Revolution by Alan Wallace
Dzogchen Teachings by Chogyal Namkhai norbu

Books I have read:

The ones mentioned in my previous post

Exploring the world of lucid dreaming by Stephen LaBerge and Howard Rheingold. This is a great book packed full of info on how to lucid dream.

The case against reality by Donald Hoffman. Super interesting and inspiring when getting into meditation/exploring the experience of consciousness.

Dream yoga and the practice of natural light by chogyal namkhai norbu
The Tibetan yogas of dream and sleep by tenzin wangyal rinpoche. Both these books were massive eye openers to the enormous world of what goes on when we sleep from a Tibetan Buddhists viewpoint. They have explored this area deeply and have learnt so much. I’m no where near ready to try out their techniques but it’s inspiring to read.

4 Likes

Does anyone here read fiction? I just discovered Paul Trembly’s The Little Sleep. In addition to referencing Chandler and the noir genre, his PI has narcolepsy, with lots of hypnogogic hallucinations. A lot of his detective work is trying to tell dream from waking reality.

Bazinga!

I only bought it yesterday, so I haven’t read it yet. It seems so spot on for lucid dreaming practice, I wondered if anyone else here has read it yet? Is Tremblay is even a member of this group? I did a couple searches, but found no other references to him.

2 Likes