😎 April 8, 2024

5 Likes

My wife and I are planning to see the eclipse in Texas, at her sister’s place in the hill country west of Austin. I saw the last full solar eclipse to pass through the U.S. in 2017 in Oregon. Awesome! Worth traveling to see.

3 Likes

Interesting portrayal of the solar eclipse as a plot element on the Navajo reservation in the AMC show “Dark Winds” season 2 episode 5 Black Hole Sun, where the entire population of the reservation was determined to stay inside during the eclipse. I thought this was interesting so I found this amongst several articles about it.

The Significance Of The Eclipse To The Navajo People | About Indian Country Extension

3 Likes

Buckle Up Buckaroo

Make your reservations and plans now if you havent.

3 Likes

@_Barry
I know some people from UK coming to US too see this Eclipse, who say its a huge lifetime Event thats going to change the Earth :woman_shrugging: I have no idea how! Do you?

3 Likes

Also make sure your event venue, actually falls on the path of the TOTAL eclipse shadow, otherwise you will not be able to see it.

3 Likes

My wife’s sister’s place is right smack dab in the middle of the eclipse zone in the hill country of West Texas. We plan to drive down as a road trip and arrive a couple of days early, so we don’t get stuck in traffic. It’s necessary to have good eclipse glasses to protect your eyes. You can take them off during the height of the eclipse but as it’s coming on and phasing out, have the glasses on . I saw the 2017 eclipse in Oregon and it was Awesome! (In the original meaning of Awesome. . . not like a hamburger is awesome. )
:joy:

3 Likes
1 Like

You are going to have such and awesome time.

You are 100% correct with the eclipse glasses, make sure you buy them from a reputable source! its a great pleasure watching the moon move across the sun slowly with these glasses.

Make sure you have a Weather plan in place my friend, your wife is probably already on top of this. Watch the cloud coverage like a hawk 48-24 hours going into it, and you can always drive to a different spot in unpredictable weather manifests.

3 Likes

Yes, although roads may be packed with traffic. We plan to arrive early to not get stuck in traffic snarls and hope for the best.

3 Likes

really glad you mentioned that, the traffic will be horrible. I camped and waited an extra day to leave, and the drive was still 50% longer than usual. And I was lucky, heard some early birds out were double or triple that.

2 Likes

These ok?

2 Likes

Not sure tbh.

I think this may be a question for @fenwizard s wife? If she doesnt know I will look up what materials to look for, and try to find out.

I got lucky, both my pairs came to me as gifts from reputible sources.

2 Likes

looks like you look for this on the product, my pair has it labeled on it:

“All of our glasses and viewers are ISO certified safe for direct solar viewing”

2 Likes
1 Like

Not far from, Springfield, looks pretty good at 93%, so I’ll save a few bucks by standing outside and watching it with my Amazon-purchased glasses. But, cloud cover chances at 60% . . . .

2 Likes

This will be the case for many people untless you are living in a desert or high mountain.

US monsoon season
April showers bring may flowers…: Except in DC where looks like Spring will start early:

2 Likes

Pretty big increase for Match

2 Likes

Like most people living in that zone, I’ve had some experiences with tornados. Green skies, hail, WIND, terror . . . . .

2 Likes

Hope the weather cooperates and the sky is clear so that you can see it !!!

3 Likes