Artistic representations of dreams (paintings, video etc)

Great. Can we see more of your dreamwork?

2 Likes

Here are two more. They are both illustrations of WILDs I had two years ago:
A golden Illusion and I am the Demon on my Chest.
I just realized last week that they belong together as I worked with the light and (golden)shadow energy that emerged in these dreams during a Zen-Integral and lucid dreaming retreat last week.

6 Likes

Beautiful! I’ve only had that paralysis once that I can recall, but I can relate to you depiction of it. Is that recurring or a one-time event? These are very evocative of the experiences. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

These are so good! Thanks for posting them.

3 Likes

You all are inspiring me! Marlise your work is fabulous :orange_heart: and I know Barry’s work is very cool-such a story in his art.
I haven’t had a lucid dream yet but will start with my regular dreams.
Last week in a dream I was driving in London and passed a school bus full of orangutans, sitting in the bus like school children and looking over at me. It may not be the easiest to start with, but I loved the visual of it.

5 Likes

I like that image—picturing a red double-decker bus, full of orangutans chugging down London streets. Could be a Curious George scenario.It’s a good vision to use in trying to incubate another, similar dream during a WBTB, where you recognize you’re dreaming and then “wake up.” I think the writing/painting and then visualising it before going back to sleep would be a good strategy to try.

2 Likes

Before I knew what it was, I had experienced a sleep paralysis only once or twice a decade. But during my WILD attempts they happen now and then, but only one time with a demon :wink: Each WILD is a different and ‘wild’ experience for me :star_struck: as the following painting shows:

A wonderful Flight through an Ice Tunnel

5 Likes

Are you doing any reality checks in your dreams?

I do reality checks as confirmation of my dream state in DILDs. Like I wrote above. Here is an illustration of some ‘dream body baublery’. Instead of trying to breath through my nose, I tried to throw my nose (and part of my eye came with it) out of a window three times :wink:

4 Likes

Here is something interesting. In the spring of this year I had been going through a period of very active dreaming coupled with strong nocturnal meditation sessions. Toward the end of that period I experienced some very powerful…metaphysical anomalies…in the wooded area that I typically walk in every morning and night. I posted about those anomalies in another thread.

But at that same time, very early on a Sunday morning, I came across this painting leaning against the base of a tree. I photographed it and left it there. I invite a very close inspection of this piece to discover an interesting and very dream-like story line.

5 Likes

See this thread for more insight.

1 Like

Really wild! Reminded me of the dream where I saw that the pinky fingers on each hand were missing and instead of “waking up” I thought to myself, “I can live with that.” Even when “reality” hits us in the face, we can still remain asleep :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I’m not sure this exactly fits the “representation of dreams” category, but it is definitely artistic and connected to Awakening.

This is a completely silent video game that was published about 9 years ago, called “Journey”. It touched many players deeply, and I’m not the only one who found it to be both beautiful and ineffable. It tells of the story of a mysterious character, wearing a long red robe (somehow making me think of Sufism and Dervish dancers), lost in the desert. Apparently, “it” came from the summit of a mountain, from which a light is being emitted skywards. “It” is now lost in the desert and must find its way back to the Summit of the Moutain, from which it came… There’s an incredible feeling of Longing one can hear in the music and feel throughout the game…

So, the whole game is about travelling alone (sometimes occasionally and randomly meeting another anonymous player, with whom one can’t communicate except from emitting “sounds” or notes of music) through different places, along beautiful themes and landscapes, to finally to come back “Home” (I’m calling it this way).

I sense a deep metaphorical meaning behind it all. Very little was said about the game. It remains mysterious. But the way I see it, it’s about Awakening, going back to the Source, the “world” being just a dream or illusion. Going through many phases such as confusion, entertainment… leading to a “downfall” so to speak, suffering and Remembering… and a final hardship before finally breaking free, and returning to the Light.

I may interpret it a lot, but that’s how I’ve experienced it…

The soundtrack is absolutely stunning and expresses the story by itself.

I’m rarely playing video games nowadays. I used to be addicted to them! But this one has left a mark on me like no other. So… In a way, it is a representation of dreaming … and waking up.

The whole game is about 2 hours long if one takes the time to play it… It can be watched like a movie in its entirety (1h15) here Journey - Gameplay / Playthrough (No Commentary) - YouTube

4 Likes

Watching the replay of the ‘lucid dreaming a deeper dive’ Videos, I tried the ‘red marble’ visualization technique in a WBTB. As I don’t know why it has to be red and not light blue (the color I associate with the throat chakra), I preferred to visualize a dark red, rather purple marble.
Then, in my next dream, as I realized I’m dreaming, the scene changed into a kitschy, Disney like environment. Everything is colored dark red and the main dream figure is a woman with intense make up, high heels like in my painting. I ask: “Why am I in this dream scene?” She touches my nose and answers: “Because you wanted it like this!”
Even inside the dream, I immediately knew that it happened because of my meditation.
At least I had fun with it, but as I still don’t understand the ‘deeper’ purpose of that meditation, I don’t do it again.

1. List item
5 Likes

1 Like

Never had anything that vibrant without “assistants.”

2 Likes

Walking(or floating) Zen Meditation in Lucid Dreams (kinshin) is my current approach to explore the ‘stuff dreams are made of’. And I would like to explore Dream Yoga Stage 6 with it.

2 Likes

This is really interesting work. Also, I had never heard of Tilt Brush, I’m glad I found this entry!

2 Likes

Here’s a digital piece that I created from a dream (not a lucid dream)

NON OMNIS MORIAR: “It is the end of the world. Volcanoes and fire are evident in the distance. I see refuges trudging along seeking safety, carrying all of their worldly possessions on their backs. I realize that I will have to escape too. I am looking for something appropriate to wear for this survival, but all that I can find are a shiny silk cobalt blue cocktail dress and some very high heels. I continue to search, but realize that these are going to be my survival clothes.”
See: www.carolelindberg.com. for more dream art and dream inspired surrealism

4 Likes

That’s about as pleasurable an hour I’ve spent looking at art online that I’ve had in a long time. I love creative institutions and your work offers value added inspirations. Remarkably diverse and engrossing (Animation Sketches :heart:). If you do anything with any of the Quest tools—and there are many—I hope you create a gallery for us to walk through.

3 Likes