🪷 "Buddha Didn't Teach That?" All paths of Buddhism — Theravada, Mahayana, and

167470042_743539446332287_1336374229715267572_n

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing about this. Now I understand why monks cut their hair.
There are also other traditions where cutting off the hair helps releasing memories from the past.

In the shamanic tradition, the perspective is different. In other traditions this is also done:

"Why Native Americans kept the hair long

---------Who grows their hair? ----------

Both men and women are encouraged to grow their hair.

There are often special ceremonies for the first haircut, but after that they let it grow.

There is significance in the way the hair is worn.

There is a way to wear the hair for many ceremonies and dances.

"For many Native Americans, braided hair signifies unity with the infinite, and allowing the hair to flow freely signifies the free flow of life.

--------------Why grow long hair?----------

Their beliefs around long hair, as many of their beliefs, are tied to the earth and nature.

The long hair has symbolic significance tying them to mother earth whose hair is long grasses.

Many Native Americans believe their hair is a physical manifestation of the growth of the spirit, and some say it allows for extrasensory perception, and connection to all things.

--------What does cutting the hair signify?--------

Many tribes cut their hair when there is a death in the immediate family.

Its an outward symbol of the deep sadness and a physical reminder of the loss.

The cut hair represents the time with their loved one, which is over and gone, and the new growth is the life after.

The cutting of hair can also signify separating from past actions or thoughts.

When a Native American cuts their hair, the hair is often treated with respect.

It can be placed into a flowing river, buried, or burned.

Native American tribes even believe that the hair is connected to the nervous system.

That long hair reaches out like tentacles, and pulls energy and information from the world around us similar to a cat’s whiskers.

It’s certainly true each hair creates a contact point with your scalp.

And with long hair, those are thousands of extended touch points bringing in tactile sensory information from your surrounding environment"

2 Likes

Sikhs, Rastafarians also come to mind . . . . . . . . , ,

2 Likes

yes :brown_heart:
I was curious about the Rastafarians…

" History of Dreadlocks

Dreadlocks are not unique to Jamaica and Rastafarians. The dreadlocks hairstyle originated in Africa and was worn by various tribes there.

The earliest tribe this hairstyle can be attributed to is the Masai tribesmen of Kenya. Many of the warriors of this tribe wore this hairstyle. These men sometimes dyed their hair red with root extracts.

Dreadlocks in Jamaica

The dreadlocks hairstyle first appeared in Jamaica during post emancipation. It was a means of defiance for ex-slaves to rebel against Euro-centrism that was forced on them.

The hairstyle was originally referred to as a “dreadful” hairstyle by the Euro centric Jamaican society. It later evolved to the term now used: Dreadlocks. Jamaicans also use the term Natty Dreadlock.
Dreadlocks and Rastafari

Rastafarians grow their hair into dreadlocks because it is a part of the Nazarite Vow. (Also their dietary rules are part of the law) All Rastafarians take this vow and claim it is commanded by the Bible (Leviticus 21:5 “They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard nor make any cuttings in their flesh”).

Samson is believed to be a Nazarite with dreadlocks. Many Rastafarians believe that like Samson, their hair is their strength and also their weakness if it is cut off ."

source: The Origins of The Dreadlocks Hairstyle & Rastafarianism in Jamaica

did not know this.
Also took a look at the Sikhs…
"

A lot of people freeze when asked this by their friends, perpetuating the wrong answer of “because god said so”. Please give some actual reasons that can be understood by non Sikhs.

1. Firstly, as much as every Sikh should strive to keep hair, Only amritdhari Sikhs who are subject to a more strict maryada are compelled to keep hair, this is voluntary and it doesn’t say anywhere in SGGS that a non sikh with uncut hair can’t achieve mukti. This is VERY important to remember, as some arguments these people make is that we keep our hair so we don’t go to hell or anger god, first of all we don’t really have a full concept of hell, secondly god is nirvair(without anger), thirdly Sikhs don’t have straight up rules about what achieves mukti and what doesn’t, it’s all about a persons union with waheguru, whatever path they take, if it works it works. We have guidelines set by SGGS and Dasam Granth, but it’s important to remember even before Sikhi arrived true sants we’re achieving mukti. And guru ji always wanted Muslims to be better Muslims, Hindus to be better Hindus etc
  2. It is a physical projection of the acceptance of wahegurus hukam. It is an outward way of showing that we accept the will of the supreme reality. This is in my opinion, the most important one.
  3. To make Sikhs more identifiable when others are in need of help (I REALLY LIKED THIS ONE :brown_heart: )
  4. Cutting hair is mostly done to “improve” outward appearance and align yourself with societies norms, a true sant which the guru wanted all Sikhs to be shouldn’t care about such things
  5. Ask them back “why do you cut your hair” and see their response, it is vanity purposes most the time. If it is about what’s easier to maintain, remind them that Sikhs are meant to have a high amount of discipline so this should be a non issue for Sikhs.
  6. Historically many saints especially in Asia have kept long hair and beards, the guru wanted all Sikhs to be Saint soldiers, this is part of the uniform of a saint, then Sikhs should also strive to have the kirpan which is the uniform of a soldier.

Edit: I believe kes is essential to Sikhi, I don’t believe kes is essential for mukti as whole for non Sikhs. It is about what the kes represents, in the same way reading gurbani is much different to understanding it. Although doing it at all is a good start.
"
Source: Reddit - Dive into anything

2 Likes

I took the Nazirite vow for 5 years. No alcohol, no grapes, no cutting the hair. You are also supposed to avoid contact with death such as corpses and graveyards. Can’t remember if I did that or not…

As to the general position of “the buddha didn’t teach that”… that’s something you come across quite often of course. I saw a comment like that in the comment section of AH’s book Preparing to Die. Well, maybe the historical Buddha didn’t teach that. But if Buddhism is a set of teachings that point to an ultimate truth and a way to realize it, then any teaching that does that within the milieu of the tradition Buddha started is Buddhism too. Buddha after all is that ultimate reality, so any teachings that provide a way to realize that is Buddha too.

This emphasis on the “original teachings of Buddha” is very similar to the emphasis on the “original teachings of Jesus” in Christianity- the perspective some Christians have to reject everything within Christianity that was not taught by Jesus or the apostles. It doesn’t take into account how religions grow, how they develop and find more skillful means to teach in the centuries after they were founded. Sure a lot of bad stuff gets introduced along the way, but so does a lot of good stuff. Christianity itself was vastly enriched by neoplatonic philosophy, which is the basis of Christian myticism. If you throw all that away to get to what you believe is the “core” of what Jesus and the apostles actually taught, then you are basically throwing away the whole mystical tradition. Which many Christians have done…

4 Likes

How was this experience for you? (if you wanna share…) :rose: Did you feel closer to God?

Judaism is also based on that… I LOVE many of their practices as an inspiration to my daily habits… :brown_heart:

2 Likes

Ah well this is a little embarrassing but I was in a totally conceptual headspace back then and really into “performing” holiness, having long hair, walking barefoot, that type of stuff. Showing off how holy I was :sweat_smile:. So unfortunately I didn’t really benefit from it all. Since I came to the practice with entirely the wrong attitude. So no, can’t recall feeling any closer to God.

Islamic mysticism as well :green_heart:. All of the Abrahamic religions share that common trait… heavy influence from neoplatonism. Let’s Talk Religion has some videos on that.

Don’t think he’s made one on Neoplatonism and Judaism yet. I’m sure it’s in the works.

What kind of practices in Judaism do you love? Not too familiar with Judaism or it’s mystical branch tbh.

3 Likes

thank you for sharing. I know what it is to be embarrassed… it happens a lot to me… because… I’m alive! :feather: after some time, the embarrassment becomes connection and understanding… :slight_smile:

I think you did… you got that experience! now you know “better” :star_struck:

didn’t know about this!
So interesting…

I had contact with the Judaism practices in person - 1. when I lived in a community with people from all over the world (in 2005/06), also some people from Israel, and we would meet every Friday evening to celebrate the Sabbath with singing, praying and being together in a deeply loving ambience, my heart would sing with deep joy and bliss (in our case, with no sex, but in the Jewish tradition this is the time where they have sex, after studying the Kabbala the whole week and/or working); 2. when living on a kibbutz in Israel for three weeks. What I got from them is: 1. to have practices that give me divine pleasure once a week, such as eating sugar, or creating a special art piece, or a music. And the rest of the week I can long for it, with a smile in my heart. the feeling is that in the right moment, it’s gonna happen and I can feel and savor it all the week long - when it happens, it’s like experiencing it for the first time :heart_eyes: ; 2. to sing everyday and especially to the Archangels every Friday (I have waves in life where I do this every Friday, and others when I do it only when I feel like it).

I learned with a Jewish ancient practitioner that the Kabbala traditions are based on the Neo-platonic philosophy, where all is in relation with all. When they do sex every Friday, they are a micro representation of the Eros that is present in all that exists. I find that highly inspiring. Also this idea that it’s us humans who have the power to set the Divine Realms into motion.

I have learned to be patient and keep the fire burning in a more homeopathic way. Also to looking into the subtle things of life, being aware of synchronicities and the mysteries that happen when you transcend desires.

2 Likes