Muse S Hypnogram - sleep/dream report

I’ve had my Muse S [previously posted about here] for several days, and I’m enjoying it so far. It’s very comfortable to sleep with and accurately tracks your sleep stages using EEG sensors. When you wake up in the morning you have a detailed sleep analysis, starting like this:

Just knowing exactly how much time I spent asleep is very useful information, but there’s a LOT more information, including how much time (and when) I was in various sleep stages. Information graphed includes:

• sleep stages
  • deep sleep intensity
  • sleep position
  • heart rate
  • stillness

While that was going on in the physical world, I had the following dream:

I’m exploring a vast VR simulation with friends. At one point I tell a friend about the movie eXistenz; at another point I jokingly suggest the simulation is so complex, perhaps it contains the so-called ‘real world’ as well

Note: it is very unusual for me to get this much sleep in a night, but hopefully this is the start of an exciting new trend. At any rate, I can now track how I’m doing over time.

~ArthurG

2 Likes

Has this helped to promote restful sleep and lucidity, or is it more of a monitoring device? I had the earlier version but didn’t find it useful enough to continue.

1 Like

I’ve only had it for a few days, but I’m finding getting a precise reading of my sleep patterns useful feedback. I don’t think it will directly promote lucidity.

I had considered getting a Muse device for years, but only now has it become sufficiently useful for me, so I finally got one.

1 Like

Lucid dreaming, virtual reality, and other altered state experiences raise questions about the nature of reality. :slight_smile: Not sure anyone has a definitive answer on this. It is virtually certain that reality is not as it appears to naive perception. It also appears to be the case that humans are spectacularly good at convincing themselves of the truth of all kinds of fanciful notions

~ArthurG

2 Likes

@ArthurG Hey Arthur, thanks for your first feedback on the muse s.

Can you switch off the bluetooth transmission during useage (and turn it back on later) ?

best regards

1 Like

Bluetooth is required to be on continuously while using it; that’s how the data gets from the device to the app in your smartphone.

2 Likes

For years now I’ve been using https://sleep.urbandroid.org/ to monitor my sleep
Their LD features include an in-app audio cue triggering during REM and there’s an optional LED sleep mask for visual cues

2 Likes

Have you used these? Do they work?

Never used the mask and the audio cues either wake me up or I just don’t hear them. That said I first bought the app more than 5 years ago based on a personal recommendation from a guy who’s been successful learning to LD just by using the audio and when we talked recently he’s been telling me more “success stories” from other people he recommended it to. I’m using it for smart wake up (detects light sleep and wakes you up without disturbing deep sleep) and voice recording (records any night-time noises such as sleep-talking (or snoring) - lets me be sure I’m not having nightmares and just forget them). Some people also use it for quick dream journal voice-notes.

2 Likes

not sure if I get your point. Are you looking for a way to influence or measure your brain waves? After answering @_Barry above I remembered that the same developer is also working on another app called Mindroid - might be what you’re interested in. Personally, when it comes to my sleep, I try not to rely on apps more than I rely on my pillow and less than a mattress :wink:

2 Likes