New book: TheTibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep: Practices for Awakening

We can always create posts and arrange zoom meetings if there’s interest, why not? I know that I always gain important new perspectives when I hear other people’s take on a book or subject, and learn about their experiences and favorite resources. For now we can just continue here in this post :slight_smile: .

p.s. The B. Allan Wallace book mentioned in another post on this site (“Dreaming Yourself Awake: Lucid Dreaming and Tibetan Dream Yoga for Insight and Transformation”) also looks really good, it also includes detailed shamatha meditation instructions which look very valuable (especially in helping to fall asleep at night!).

2 Likes

Posted this about All Day Awareness a while back, and I’m aware that it might be of interest to some though not all. It came from Reddit, and I’ve found it generally in sync with TWR’s writing on the subject.

Note: I don’t know who the author is.

1 Like

Good point, putting together zoom meetings might be more of a hassle then it is worth. I prefer witing in the forums too. Interesting synchronicity about B Allan Wallaces book, I have not read it, but the other day I was reading this article, and adding these 9 books to my reading list, 3 of which are currently in my room:

I partially read Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self by Robert Waggoner 3 years ago when I began my journey of attempting to have lucid dreams. Also partially read A Field Guide to Lucid Dreaming: Mastering the Art of Oneironautics by Dylan Tuccillo, Jared Zeizel and Thomas Peisel. Both were very good.

1 Like

That was very helpful, very smart. Never occured to me if you achieve all day awareness, then through habit, it would translate into lucid dreams, great read. The links at the end are helpful as well.

1 Like

Yes, I know the author, “Mars,” we’re on several discord LD servers together, and have discussed similar topics together. One of the articles linked at the end is mine, the last one :slight_smile: (“FryingMan’s Unified Theory of Lucid Dreaming”). It’s a pretty good guide, I agree with pretty much everything. I think, though, that TYoDaS provides the most cogent presentation of the topic and goes far beyond the level of “guide” into offering a rich, complete, lifetime practice, focused on liberation as the end goal and not just lucidity in dream.

1 Like

Totally agree. . . . .

1 Like

Not sure if people have mentioned this before innthis thread, but has anyone read the back cover of the newest edition???

TWR got 2 great reviews from 2 rock stars!

2 Likes

Andrew announced at tonight’s Q&A that he’s interviewing TWR this week for a podcast to be posted later. The sooner the better, eh?

3 Likes

most definitely :slightly_smiling_face:

Been looking forward to this one for a while

2 Likes

I reread this the other day, lots of valuble information in it.

Really liked the part about how gravity is different in dreams, often on a very subtle level. I noticed this when I had a dream a few weeks ago where I was running. The running did not hurt, and Imeven had that thought in the dream, “im surprized this feels so good”, normally the bodies aches and pains make running a tedious labor.

Also loved the comment about lifelong lucid dreamers, who seem to be so sensitive to the subtle differences in the dream vs wake state, and this autimatically prompts lucidity.

1 Like

Hello, fellow practitioners!

After some time away, focusing on waking life activities, I’ve returned to LD practice via The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep [2022 edition, I STRONGLY recommend this edition!] with a very strong resolve to integrate it (and several more of TWR’s teachings) into the rest of my life. In Fall 2022 I had began what I figured would be a 4-year journey at least. I also revived the practice in summer of 2023. Both times I had some initial successes, but life situations pulled me away and my habit of laziness, of not sticking with a practice even as wonderful as this one, reared its head yet again and yet again I gave in and stopped.

Well, no more. I’ve declared to the world that I’ve quit quitting! I’ve gathered some wonderful motivational quotes, including this one from David Goggins:

There is no more time to waste. Hours and days evaporate like creeks in the desert.

I feel the advancement of time more acutely now, as this year sees a birthday anniversary that puts me, IMO, squarely in “old guy” territory. I’m feeling the strong desire to really turn my life away from a perpetual roller coaster ride of reacting to experience non-lucidly via unconscious conditioning.

I’m ready to…

… finally give up the turmoil of being driven by hope and fear, desire and aversion … [to] rest in presence.

I started just over a month ago, again basing the core of my day practice on The Four Foundational Practices chapter, which is a goldmine of wisdom and mini-practices to do. I’ve had two short moments of lucidity in dreams, and some nights with very high presence, very vivid non-lucid dreams. Generally a couple of times every week after the initial two, I’ve had some notable dream moments, where I state tested, felt increased lucidity, or just had ver present and vivid dreams.

I’m not giving myself any sort of time table. I do hope to have significant results within a couple of years, but I’m going with TWR’s recommendation of:

Just let the practice be part of your life.

It helps to make this journey with others also following this path. If anybody wants a LD/Dream Yoga pen pal, feel free to send me a message :).

6 Likes

UAU! :heart_eyes: wonderful to read this!

yes, that’s it.

indeed. I love NCC :heart_eyes:
deeply grateful doing this with others.
we are together!

3 Likes

Respect, @Dream_Hacker - great insights which resonate.

What are your ideas on the pen pal thing? A kind of regular buddy communication helping one another to keep up practice and motivation?

4 Likes

@Dream_Hacker

Welcome back to the Sangha my friend. It has helped me with many LDs. I hope it continues to help you and many others as well.

4 Likes