New Lucid Dreamer looking for help

Cool, Adam1. The Shadows is the next novel I plan to read – it came to my attention after Andrew recommended it recently. I am currently reading his earlier novel The Whisper Man, having been intrigued to learn (in an interview on the book’s Amazon page) that a minor character in The Whisper Man is a major character in The Shadows.

From the same interview:

Lucid dreams play a major role in your new book. What is your experience with lucid dreaming?

Lucid dreams are when you ‘wake up’ in a dream while remaining asleep. I was obsessed with them as a teenager, and have remained so to an extent as an adult. The appeal was always the idea of escape: of being in control of the world and able to do anything you want.

One of the key things is keeping a dream diary, which I have done intermittently over the years, but which is ultimately a bit more work than I’m prepared to put in. These days, having a lucid dream is a nice surprise once in a while, but I don’t chase them anymore. That said, I thought they were fertile ground to explore — that isolated teenage boys in a drab community might seize on them as means of escape. And that things could become sinister very quickly, especially if one of them began manipulating the others. (LINK)

I’m enjoying The Whisper Man and looking forward to The Shadows.

3 Likes