😳 REM Sleep Behavior Disorder

Imagine my surprise when I was sleeping the other night and all of a sudden, in the dream, while I was chasing a blue and white balloon that got out of my hand and then started going down the hill–I ran to chase it when thump, I hit the bedroom floor where I had landed from this dream. This had never happened to me before, and I thought maybe I was sleepwalking, but then I realized I wasn’t in sleep paralysis during the REM stage, but rather I was actually acting out the dream. I thought about this a lot in the hospital as I was being treated for a broken collarbone.

I’ve heard Andrew talk about one of the reasons for sleep paralysis being protecting us from acting out those dreams and hurting ourselves. Yep! I’m glad that Doctor Ed addressed this during his invaluable monthly webinar recently, so I saw that I wasn’t crazy, but there were others experiencing the same type of dream disturbance. I found a research article on it and I thought I would share it. Doctor Ed also referenced a recent journal article about it as well, which should be posted shortly. Anyone else experience this?

From the guide:
Movement during REM sleep is controlled by two systems: one controls the input to spinal cord motoneurons to generate muscle atonia (extrapyramidal), and the other controls motor cortex activation to suppress locomotor activity (pyramidal). The main generator of REM-sleep is the predominantly-glutamatergic Subcoeruleus/Pre-Locus Coeruleus complex [SubC/PC- analogous to the rat/mouse sublaterodorsal nucleus (SLD)], which is anatomically situated just below the noradrenergic locus coeruleus in the pons (11). As well as projecting to many subcortical brain regions to promote and maintain REM sleep, the SubC/PC projects caudally to control the REM atonia neural network (12). Preceding and during REM sleep, the REM-active SubC/PC excites the inhibitory ventromedial medulla (VMM) and glycinergic neurons of the spinal ventral horn, which in turn tonically hyperpolarize spinal motor neurons (12, 13). This results in a temporary paralysis of skeletal muscles and thus significantly reduced REM muscle tone.

Disruption to this process results in abnormal motor behaviors during REM sleep

2 Likes

I have had this happen to me in the past when I was young. I think it was mainly the ages 4-6ish years old. I would act out my nightmares and my surrounding environment became the dreamscape. I asked my mom how she helped me get though that time in my life and this is her responce:

Best wishes hope you have a speedy healing process.

I did not read the article fully but ran this through AI to see what it recommended to prevent this type of event from happening again:

Create a sleep-friendly environment: Ensure that your bedroom is free of any potential hazards that could cause injuries. Keep the space tidy and remove any objects that could be tripped over or stumbled upon during sleep.

Stick to a consistent sleep schedule: Establishing a regular sleep routine can help promote healthier sleep patterns. Aim for consistent bedtimes and wake-up times to regulate your body’s internal clock.

Manage stress and anxiety: Stress and anxiety can disrupt sleep and increase the likelihood of vivid dreams or sleep disturbances. Practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing exercises, meditation, or engaging in calming activities before bed to promote a more peaceful sleep.

Avoid stimulating substances: Certain substances can interfere with sleep and increase the chances of acting out dreams. Avoid consuming caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol close to bedtime, as they can disrupt the quality of your sleep.

Seek medical advice: If you continue to experience episodes of acting out dreams or have concerns about your sleep, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare professional. They can provide a thorough evaluation and offer personalized advice or recommend further treatment options.

Consider a sleep study: If acting out dreams or sleep disturbances persist or significantly impact your quality of life, a sleep study (polysomnography) may be beneficial. It can help identify any underlying sleep disorders that could contribute to your experiences.

Manage your sleep position: Some sleep positions may increase the chances of acting out dreams or experiencing sleep disturbances. Experiment with different sleeping positions to find one that reduces the likelihood of physical movements during sleep.

Engage in regular exercise: Regular physical activity can contribute to better sleep quality and overall well-being. However, it’s important to avoid intense exercise close to bedtime, as it may stimulate the body and make it harder to fall asleep peacefully.

Keep a sleep journal: Keep a record of your sleep patterns, dreams, and any incidents of acting out dreams. This can help you identify potential triggers or patterns and provide valuable information to share with healthcare professionals if needed.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing.
yes, I had this when I was a child.
fortunately, not anymore.
from what i discovered its really good not to have this experience.
in some people it’s associated with Parkinson.
so please, take care.
neurofeedback can be highly successful in these cases.

all the best.

3 Likes

Just heard your Q&A question to Andrew, really sorry to hear about the broken collar bone. How long will it take to heal?

Its my understanding that only 8lbs of pressure applied at the right angle can break the collarbone.

You say this has never happened to you before, but I remember you sharing something similar happing to you many years ago on the military base, where the guy had killed himself and you performed a ritual to clear the room of his spirit. You said the only other time you fell out of bed in your life was when there was an earthquake at another location.

Not sure if it is a physicial sleep disorder, or possibily you were picking up something in the ether, like with the ghost on the military base and the earthquake?

Wishing you a speedy recovery my friend!

2 Likes

Actually it relates to a dream I had about a month ago and I’m still sorting it out but its just a lucky break. The world has slowed down for me.

2 Likes

Love to hear about the dream it relates to if you are interested in sharing?

Happy fathers day my friend! Hurry slowly, festina lente. Sometimes s slow down can be exactly what is needed.

Will pray for a quick recovery.

2 Likes