Lucid dreaming and Avoidant Personality Disorder / Borderline

I’m hoping someone can point me to research (or personal experience) on AVPD (or personality disorders in general) and LD.

I’ve never been lucid (as in aware I’m dreaming) so far, and over the last 2 months have gotten into consistent practice with (mostly) LD Workbook by @Andrew Holecek.

I’m coupling wake-and-back-to-bed with MILD (seems designed for wake-and-back), and the furthest I’m going with this is being able to continue the same dream I’ve had before and/or point the dream in the direction intended while being awake (the same used to happen for me for years). I’m nowhere near realizing I’m dreaming or being able to influence the dream while asleep.

State checks and dream signs seem not to do anything for me: I’m perfectly able to accept that I’m back at school and being an adult at the same time, that aliens attacked my city, or that I’ve actually changed cities I live in (three most common recurring themes for me). After waking up I remember being surprised and having “wow that’s so strange” feeling, But never guessing it’s a dream.

I’m quite keen on Eastern techniques (meditation, illusory form) and somehow neither these nor having around 30 “It’s a dream” reminders per day on my smartwatch for the last month seem to cross over into my dreams.

I’m wondering whether this could be related to my AVPD and BPD (borderline personality disorder). I used to (therapy helped) meet the DSM-5 criteria for both, with AVPD being a kind of coping mechanism for BPD - I seem to “compensate” for insufficient emotional regulation (possibly related to amygdala & hippocampus under-performance :wink: by avoidance of triggers and exerting over-controlling behaviors (to the point of benefiting more from RO-DBT than from “classic” DBT).

Also I’ve just started listening to the audio version of LD Plain and Simple (Wagoner, McCready) and they talk about LD being used in PTSD therapy - what’s the protocol for that?

3 Likes

Hi krzwierz, this table briefly summarizing papers on treating nightmares/PTSD may be useful.

It’s from the brief 2019 Frontiers in Psychology paper My Dream, My Rules: Can Lucid Dreaming Treat Nightmares?, available in its entirety online.

2 Likes