The Dalai Lama's Sleep and Dream Yoga practices

Dan Harris does a podcast called “10 Percent Happier” where he interviews various Buddhist teachers. He recently spent 5 days with the Dalai Lama interviewing him on various topics. Here he asks the Dalai Lama about his meditation practices and also discusses this with a neuropsychologist and Buddhist practitioner who has been studying the Dalai Lama’s meditation practices for many years. He touches on his use of sleep and dream yoga as preparation for death. This is the 5th of a serioes of interviews but you can hear all of them at the website or by downloading the podcasts. #542. The Enlightened Mind | Part 5 of The Dalai Lama’s Guide to Happiness — Ten Percent Happier

6 Likes

Listened to the beginning of it, I really like his line of “the willing suspension of Disbelief”

A few years ago it was this philosophy that really helped my spiritual practice grow exponetionally.

Will try to listen to the rest of it later tonight.

3 Likes

Yes! I liked that statement.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed the series

2 Likes

Great interview and very good explanations.
26:00 “people dream every night, … most people in the morning don’t report their dreams, and they don’t report them because they have forgotten them, and they have forgotten them because they are not aware at the time they are dreaming…”
“What his Holiness is pointing to is that we can cultivate the awareness that persists during
our sleep…”
… worth to ponder that a couple of minutes…

4 Likes

Loved this recoding @fenwizard , so much great stuff within it. I listened to it 3 times, and will probabily do much more in the future. So much wisdom.

I especially liked the part about “using reason to go beyond reason” in the analytical meditations.

My favorite was the anaology of Awareness being like a lit candle in a room, and how you dont need a flashlight to see the candle. That was really deep, and very brilliant.

Thank you for sharing this!

3 Likes

Its really amazing how powerful that process is.

I think equally powerful, if not more so, is using a critical lense like a scapal to many of our stubbornly held beliefs, and seeing what survives. Kind of like the analytical meditations.

Think to a time in your life when you stubbornly held onto a belief that was maladaptive, and how ‘right’ you thought you were at the time, only to be painfully proven wrong down the line. Now ask yourself, are there any other beliefs I cling to similarly just as stubornly? Could they be wrong, or half right as well?

2 Likes