THE UNDER PRESENTS - VR experience that's like a shared dream

I’m really enjoying a surreal multiplayer VR experience called “The Under Presents” that came out a few days ago for the Oculus Quest. It’s a cross between virtual reality and immersive theater – live actors will show up at random times and interact with players (though it can sometimes be hard to tell for sure if you’re interacting with an actor or with a computer-generated character). The environment is strange and seems weirder the more time you spend in it. You see and interact with (if you want to) other players, but all the avatars look the same and players can’t speak – you have to communicate via gestures or interacting with objects, like charades. You can practice transformational magic, and there is an area where you can manipulate the flow of time.

I find the experience like being in a shared dreamspace. I’ve definitely had elements of the game influence some (vaguely recalled) dreams.

Here’s an article about it that describes it aptly as “a victory for uncompromising oddity and all the weirdos who love it.”

Here’s another article that talks in some detail about how they made it: Improv, Interactivity and Immersion: Entering ‘The Under Presents’ Innovative XR Cabaret. That article also includes this interesting 20-minute video with three of the creators talking about it.

It’s a fascinating development in VR and I highly recommend it!

~ArthurG

3 Likes

Found wonderful new VR experience available on Steam: Consciousness Within. Finally vr is getting “mind-y.”

2 Likes

Whoops! That’s “Conscious Existence.”

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, Richard. I’ll check out Conscious Existence: A Journey Within at some point.

~ArthurG

1 Like

Are you still using “The Under Presents?”

1 Like

Barry, not using The Under Presents much of late, but may go back to it at some point. My time with it has been great and well worth the asking price.

~ArthurG

p.s. In case this is your next question, my VR time lately has consisted mostly of Beat Saber, Tai Chi, Journey of the Gods (which has an interesting mechanic where you transform into a God form at certain times), Pistol Whip, and the Museum of Other Realities.

1 Like

I can’t seem to get the hand of the Tai Chi app. Seems awkward. How do you use it? Can you see your hands in the program using the updated system software?

1 Like

I find the Tai Chi app challenging but I am getting better at using it. I can see a representation of the position of my hands in the form of spheres, with audio feedback telling me if my hand positions are in the general ballpark of where they are supposed to be, and haptic feedback when they are exactly where they should be. In addition I can take cues from the figures in front and to either side of me to see what way my hands (and feet) ought to be oriented and positioned.

Thinking of it as a 5-minute mindful, relaxing movement exercise in a beautiful environment is helpful for me. But maybe it’s not your cup of tea?

I forgot to mention that I am also using the Tripp experience a lot lately.

~ArthurG

1 Like

I try to follow the hand but keep messing up and the error message is very annoying. I don’t see anyone else practicing. I like the Tripp exercises as well.

1 Like

Yes! Arthur, another Home run recommendation. Thanks

1 Like

Glad you like it, Richard!

~ArthurG

1 Like

Have you tried Richie’s Plank Experience? It’s like the VR experience that Andrew set up for Pema Chodren that he talks about when discussing how close VR is to lucid dreaming.

1 Like

Barry, I love Richie’s Plank Experience! I’ve made a fair number of friends walk the plank. :slight_smile: I also enjoy the flying modes. It’s particularly good on the Oculus Quest, since there is no distracting wire – makes it more immersive.

~ArthurG

1 Like

First time I tried the flying mode I fell back and hit my head. Did it “seed” flying in your dreams?

1 Like

Did not seed flying dreams as far as I recall (NOTE: my dream recall has been spotty at best.) I have had that happen with other VR experiences for sure, though (e.g. Birdly).

~ArthurG

1 Like

UPDATE:

1. The Under: Presents is now a free app.
  2. If you have a Quest, I highly recommend The Under Presents: Tempest, which is a version of the Shakespeare play with audience participation, guided by a live actor. It’s doing a limited run from Nov. 5-15. More details here. (Tempest is, of course, a very dreamlike play, so it’s a very appropriate and cool choice.)