Covid Connecting in Virtual Reality

We are all using technology to reach out to people around the world using Zoom and I like it. I am also using Virtual Reality to travel from my current environment (a major snowstorm in the eastern portion of the USA) to meditate somewhere in the Himalayas using the Oculus Quest VR headset.

In this VR scenario there is a Buddhist Temple and Stupa in the mountains and I circumnavigate (Kora) the Stupa several times before we are called to meditate. For this, I go into the temple and there is a golden Buddha framed on either side with several Manjushri Thangkas along the front wall.

Although I am alone and meditating, a couple of hackers come in and try to disturb me. It’s like a lucid dream! I don’t react. I’m not bothered by what’s happening. It was good practice, I think. Later, outside, the teacher asks people to share their meditation experience. One woman mentions that the sound of the bells reminds her of the music she is listening to now during her isolated days and nights. Later, I ask her what she is listening to for warmth. It’s Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas #4 & #6—and it’s #4 I am listening to as I write. I wonder if Andrew plays these? I like #4, but I like #6 better.

I had a dream the other night where part of it seemed to be in a virtual reality setting, so maybe there is something to be said for spending time this way.

2 Likes

Hi Barry, what is this VR scenario of which you speak?

curiously,
ArthurG

2 Likes

It’s the AltspaceVR meditations. Upcoming they have Introduction to Deep Relaxation and other meditative practices. Interesting to hear folks from around the world discuss their practices and how meditation is helping them. They also have flexible scheduling in the afternoon and evenings, so you can check their offerings and drop in. You sign up for the App and then create an Avatar. They use portals to transport your avatar to wherever. They also have flying instructions that I aim to take after we move next month and I have more space because it seems like fun.

2 Likes

I am in turn reminded of my favorite scene from Immortal Beloved, about the life of Beethoven, where Ode to Joy is gradually “unfolded.”

1 Like

Thanks, Barry. I’ll see if some of those meditations fit my schedule and try it out at some point.

1 Like

AltSpaceVR is quite a resource. Here are some “photos” of one of the meditation sites. There is also a Zen world that seems ripe for meditation.

2 Likes