😍 Theta brainwaves in meditation for health and cognition benefits, and how to achieve through mindfulness, repetition, sound, visualization, mantra

I currently use Muse 6 hours/week (on a good week) for meditation, and find it useful to create an environment for meditation (lately a lot of this is done with box breathing). Not sure if the brainwave biofeedback is helpful per se, but it definitely helps me keep meditating.

I have not been using it for sleep monitoring lately, and not sure how accurate that aspect is – Night Club sleep expert Ed O’Malley had this to say about that in another thread a while back:

Like you Arthur G I was very interested in the MUSE-S given it’s sleep tracking hype. Unfortunately, as of right now, it is still mostly hype. It has not been validated against the gold standard sleep study. I’ve been trying to work with them (since last winter) because I was deciding between the MUSE-S and the DREEM headband for a research study we are conducting. The DREEM headband is the closest to the gold standard, and it’s sleep staging algorithm is as accurate as human staging. The MUSE-S on the other hand is neither validated by the gold standard sleep study nor assessed against human sleep staging. I had bought one to test (which I always do anyway as I have patients/clients asking for recommendations all the time) and find it incredibly inaccurate. At this stage (4 frustrating months) I cannot even state whether I have a faulty headband, their algorithm doesn’t work well, or their algorithm doesn’t work well for the elderly, or anything specific except it doesn’t work for me. (Ed O’Malley)

I consider the Muse S useful for my current purposes. However, I originally bought it for sleep-tracking purposes and based on Ed’s comments have doubts about its accuracy for that purpose.

~ArthurG (they/them)

1 Like