VRx How Virtual Therapeutics Will Revolutionize Medicine

This new book by Brennan Spiegal sounds interesting:

A leading doctor unveils the groundbreaking potential of virtual medicine.

Brennan Spiegel has spent years studying the medical power of the mind, and in VRx he reveals a revolutionary new kind of care: virtual medicine. It offers the possibility of treating illnesses without solely relying on intrusive surgeries or addictive opioids.

Virtual medicine works by convincing your body that it’s somewhere, or something, it isn’t. It’s affordable, widely available, and has already proved effective against everything from burn injuries to stroke to PTSD. Spiegel shows how a simple VR headset lets a patient with schizophrenia confront the demon in his head, how dementia patients regain function in a life-size virtual town, and how vivid simulations of patients’ experiences are making doctors more empathic.

VRx is a revelatory account of the connection between our bodies and ourselves. In an age of overmedication and depersonalized care, it offers no less than a new way to heal.

You could just as easily say “We are all dreaming all the time…”

Another excerpt describes Tripp, one of my favorite VR apps, and makes clear how dreamlike and surreal VR can be:

The book releases early in October. Ugh – I think my to-read list just got even longer :crazy_face:

Hey @Andrew, @AndyK, Spiegal might make a very interesting guest on Night Club…

Details and preorder information here

~ArthurG

2 Likes

Thanks Arthur! One of the great things about Tripp is the “game” where you have to navigate between the objects, the gaps, that she describes as the “space between thoughts where we can find peace.”

1 Like

Thanks for the info Arthur…pre-ordered! The only thing better would be to listen to it inside my Quest :heart_eyes: Speaking of Tripp-like things…I was able to see “Samskara” in VR during the Burning Man 2020 Festival in AltspaceVR. It was quite beautiful - watched it 3 times.

2 Likes

Hey steppo, I also saw (most of) Samskara, and it was quite excellent. Unfortunately I tried to find it again the next day and was unable to do so. It was fun flying around the virtual playa looking at art :slight_smile:

1 Like