Women in Buddhism: Profiles, Conversations, and Teachings (Lion's Roar)

Women in Buddhism: Profiles, Conversations, and Teachings (Lion’s Roar)

My wife’s auntie was a famous Nun in the Everest region which always interested me. I met her several years ago and it was wonderful. Thought this article was a valuable resource about a lot of things I didn’t know or haven’t thought about.

4 Likes

@_Barry Love this share. Thank you. I decided to become celibate in 2011. I was wanting to become a nun to serve. I searched and found I was right on the cusp of the age to do it. I did not meet all the requirements to enter the convent, so I took my search to become a nun on my own.

I met a Hindu priest along the way. I remember something he told me, “If you’re lucky, you’ll come back as a man in your next life so you can complete the path and liberate.” Ouch.

The search is really the journey to lose the attachment and identification to the little self, which I think is what is referred to as the illusory body. Is that about right? And turn the drive into service to others. I have the intention but am not always sure of the motivation.

I recently moved to where my mom is at to take care of her in her final years. After that, I’ll look into a retreat, as I’m actually planning on how to do that. Anyway, I, I, I. LOL

Thanks for the post. Edifying. :pray:

4 Likes

Reviving an old topic with a new take:

Here is a beautiful author. Lama Tsultrim Allione. This is the Amazon description of her book Women Rising

Women of Wisdom explores and celebrates the spiritual potential of all women, as exemplified by the lives of six Tibetan female mystics. These stories of great women who have achieved full illumination—overcoming cultural prejudices and a host of other problems which male practitioners do not encounter—offer a wealth of inspiration to everyone on the spiritual path.

In this revised and expanded edition, Tsultrim Allione’s extensive autobiographical preface and introduction speak directly to the difficulties and triumphs of women in the West who pursue a spiritual life, as she shares her own stories and experiences.”

I’ll need to change my login name. Didn’t occur to me that it would appear as my name.

3 Likes

Thanks for this introduction @MarcusDolphin . I have learned more about her now here .

And here is a Lama I have been spending some quality time with recently as well:

3 Likes

30 seconds in and I’m already hooked by her silly faces haha :rofl::raised_hands:

3 Likes