XR. Extinction Rebellion movement

Andrew has recently expressed a lot of interest in David Loy and Ecodharma. I just learned that XR, the Extinction Rebellion movement of environmental activists that started in London 3 years ago and is rapidly spreading globally, now has a presence in America. I don’t know how to post their website, but if someone can look it up and post it here, I think it’s important. You can read their principles and join a local chapter if there’s one near you. It’s an international, non-political movement using non-violent direct action and civil disobedience to persuade governments to act justly on the Climate and Ecological Emergency. There are materials in several languages and a great FAQ that should answer most of our questions.

5 Likes
1 Like

Thanks for providing the link.

1 Like

I connected with this group on face book after hearing David Loy say he was interested in what they were doing in London. Even though it’s non-violent civil disobedience in the spirit of Ghandi and MLK, they can be verbally aggressive and engage in activities that will piss some people off rather than enlist their support, such as causing traffic jams or spray painting buildings. Apparently anyone can start a RT group and run it anyway they choose as long as they stay within the stated principles. It would be nice to see one with a more Buddhist perspective, which could have access to join meaningful protest campaigns, but perhaps with a more thoughtful rhetoric.

1 Like