Beginnings

Recently I have begun to realise when I am dreaming, not all of the time but more and more. Unfortunately, the realisation seems to tip me back into the dream (secondary delusion). Progress for sure but still a fair way off of lucid dreaming.

I have been reading several books on emptiness/openness/ultimate reality

• Francesca Fremantle - Luminous Emptiness: A Guide to the Tibetan Book of the Dead (Understanding the Tibetan Book of the Dead)

• Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche - Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness

• Andrew Holecek - Dreams of Light: The Profound Daytime Practice of Lucid Dreaming

• David R Loy - Nonduality: In Buddhism and Beyond

• Jay L Garfied (Translator) - The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nagarjuna’s Mulamadhyamakakarika

• Andrew Holecek - Reverse Meditation: How to Use Your Pain and Most Difficult Emotions as the Doorway to Inner Freedom (just started it)

I have managed to get to an intellectual understanding of emptiness/openness/ultimate reality. I can clearly see that my car doesn’t exist and things are a relationship to other things. The people who have truly realised this talk about them being the mountain, a tree, an animal etc. Working on it though.

4 Likes

David Loy? . . . . . . . . . . . . .

3 Likes

@Steve_H … that’s awesome you are experiencing being aware you’re dreaming whilst asleep. Personally i find the more you’re relaxed about it, the easier it gets.
That’s a great list of books!

3 Likes

Such an awesome book!

If you havent viewed video 11 of Book Club D.O.L, check it out, so good and so deep!

Heres a great quote from it:

“Non-lucidity (Samsara/suffering) arises when we lose the essense (emptyness) of the mind in the display of the mind.”“When we lose the empy nature of the mind, in the display of the mind” “When we go non lucid weve lost our minds, or at least half of it”- A.H. 12:12 DOL Video 11

Of the other books you listed, which one has been your favorite read?

3 Likes

Hi @_Barry correct, my bad, oops

Steve

1 Like

Thank @Bianca_Aga, I’m kind of growing into it, if that makes sense? It seems to regress once I realise it’s a dream but it is better than a year ago :slight_smile:

Thanks Steve

3 Likes

Hi @NightHawk999, to be honest it’s more the books I didn’t get on so well with. The David R Loy book was very academic and I believe it originally came from his thesis so that would explain it. Jay L Garfield was not a great read to be honest.

So to you question, I loved

Francesca Freemantle - Luminous Emptiness
Andrew’s books (I might be biased here :-)) Dreams of Light, I haven’t finished Reverse Meditation but I’m loving it
Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso is wonderful, Shenpen Hookham does a brilliant job translating it

Thanks Steve

3 Likes

Both those books of Andrews I really like, will add the others to my book list, thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes