😆 Eastern philosophy says there is no "self." Science agrees

From the article:
While various neuroscientists have made the claim that the self resides in this or that neural location, there is no real agreement among the scientific community about where to find it — not even whether it might be in the left or the right side of the brain. Perhaps the reason we can’t find the self in the brain is because it isn’t there

and . . .
Gazzaniga determined that the left side of the brain creates explanations and reasons to help make sense of what is going on around us. The left brain acts as an “interpreter” for reality. Furthermore, Gazzaniga found that this interpreter, as in the examples mentioned, is often completely and totally wrong . This finding should have rocked the world, but most people haven’t even heard of it.

4 Likes

I wonder what a human would look like if it were alive and that thing they are searching for was removed from the body.

Maybe this:

Or this:

:smiling_face::smiling_face:

2 Likes

Someone call PETA

2 Likes

Really great article, lots of good stuff, I especially like this line:

“Put another way, it is the process of thinking that creates the self, rather than there being a self having any independent existence separate from thought. The self is more like a verb than a noun. To take it a step further, the implication is that without thought, the self does not, in fact, exist. In the same way that walking only exists while one is walking, the self only exists while there are thoughts about it. As a neuropsychologist, I can say that in my view, science is just now catching up with what Buddhist, Taoist, and Advaita Vedanta Hinduism have been teaching for over 2,500 years”

The article comments on howmthis scientific discovery should have made a bigger splash, can you imagine how crippling it would have been to the US and global economys if this news and information had gone viral. :open_mouth:

2 Likes