Frozen light

I was trying to iron out sources for some thoughts that have been floating around in my head about matter being frozen light. On Google, I am able to find a few posts about physicists claiming that all matter is frozen or slowly moving light.

I think I remember Andrew talking about this a while ago and comparing it to some of the beliefs in Buddhism but I cannot find anything about the two online. I’m trying to find what he may have been discussing in Buddhism that is linked to this idea.

Maybe he never mentioned it, but I wanted to ask before leaving this theory to scientists alone. I thought I remembered him discussing this at one point or another.

This is the best I could extract from AI about this topic:

Just as light can be understood as a form of energy or vibration, matter in Buddhist philosophy is seen as a manifestation of energy or subtle elements. This understanding is closely related to the concept of emptiness, which teaches that all phenomena lack inherent or independent existence. Matter, in this view, can be seen as a relatively solid or frozen form of energy or light.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Andrew does indeed talk about this and references it in a few places in his Dreams of Light book. Do you have it?

2 Likes

Yes, have it in physical and audible form. Thanks for the tip I’ll search for it :+1:.

Found it. Page 76, 79 and 173.

Precisely what I was looking for, thank you :slightly_smiling_face:.

“The illusion of solidity is further challenged by both Vajrayana Buddhism and modern
physics. According to the former, the world isn’t made of matter. It’s made of light. This
“light” is not the same as physical light, nor is it different. Quantum physicist David Bohm
expresses this view from a scientific perspective:
Mass is a phenomenon of connecting light rays which go back and forth, sort of freezing
them into a pattern. So matter, as it were, is condensed or frozen light. Even Einstein had
some hint of that idea. You could say that when we come to light we are coming to the fundamental activity in which existence has its ground. Light in its generalized sense (not just
ordinary light) is the means by which the entire universe unfolds into itself. . . . [Particles]
are ripples on this vast ocean of light.”

1 Like