Histamine Receptors in brain - sleep, wake, behavior

Histamine receptors in mice’s brains effect sleep (and I presume behavior results from that).

NO CLUE how to turn off the “preview” of web links, sorry! See below for comments/experience.

I don’t understand ANYTHING about this, will have to read 15 more times. but it relates to humans, so worth sharing.

I ran across it looking up “mast cells.” I’m taking Ketotifin from a compounding pharmacy as a “mast cell regulator”.

To me, “mast cell” are 2 words you hear as a dog owner and your heart dies on the spot - it’s an aggressive cancer, right? Apparently not these mast cells. I’m no doc, I know nothing!!

But if it helps someone, or many someones with sleep issues, yay!

The blood test I had is for “prostaglandin D2” and when high in the blood stream, it’s off the charts in the brain. It is “treated” off-label via compounding pharmacy while ‘they’ are researching it means.

A “Histamine” test also exits. I was in the normal range so didn’t research that one. I presume they are related (and why my doc is so stumped w/ me).

So could Histamine-related tests also point to issues around proper deep sleep?

I was about to stop taking the Ketotifin as it’s ~$60/mo (1mg/day x 30) and my last test was in range. It’s linked to mold and cyanobacteria water bloom exposure, and I’m in a mold-free environment right now. But then I noticed when I get tired, all the ‘mast cell symptoms’ come back with a vengeance.

Granted I’m always exhausted, but I sleep lighter when supplementing/detoxing for MTHFR (more on that soon), even though I sleep the same hours-ish. The near-fainting, red feet, water retention, burning/itching skin, etc associated with mast cells gets bad.

Is it the histamine receptor stuff that tweaks the sleep, or is it the poor sleep that ups the histamine receptors? Chicken or egg? Or something bigger?

The above research may have it backwards. :face_with_monocle: They’re starting with mice bred to have histamine issues. Regardless, it could be a usable marker.

Edit: The research DOES have it backwards. They started with “broken mice.”
Take that how you will. :heart:

1 Like