Howdy and Happy Holidays!

Happy winter holidays to all!

The ‘warm introductions’ topic was looking a little unwieldy in its length, so I thought I’d start a new ‘hello’ thread. Hope that’s OK. :slight_smile:

I’m brand new to Night Club, still learning the ropes, figuring out what everything does.

A little background – I became interested in dreaming as a kiddo, when I had a spontaneously lucid dream in which I told a dream monster to go away – and it did! Later, when I was about 10, I read in the Whole Kids Future Catalog that some people keep dream journals. I was hooked, and started recording my dreams in my diary. (I wish I had those diaries no – alas, they’re lost to the mists of time.) Throughout my adulthood, I’ve given my dreams good attention, but a few months ago, I decided I was ready to make lucid dreaming a sadhana. I’ve read/am studying Clare Johnson’s Complete Book of Lucid Dreaming, and am eager to supplement my practice with the info on Night Club.

I live in the southern United States with my husband. I’m a fan of literature and the arts, a walker/hiker, and a devotee of our beautiful moon.

Looking forward to exploring and connecting further.

5 Likes

Welcome fellow dreamer! I’m enjoyed Clare’s interview with Andrew on here, she seems like a really cool teacher. Looking at the title of her book, are you most interested in LD for creativity? Any dream related literature you recommend? (Lately I’m a fan of Ursula K. Leguin’s Earthsea series, but not sure if it counts as proper literature in the way you might be using the term.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the greeting, Spiderchlome!

Clare’s book does focus a great deal on creativity, but more than that, I feel like it’s a great survey of lucid dreaming, generally. (And, yes, creativity and LD of special interest to me. Always glad to chat about the novel as fictive dream!)

As for books – oh, yeah, Leguin is absolutely literature in my book! Regarding other dream-related lit, I highly recommend Sara Gran’s ‘Clare de Witt’ mystery series. De Witt is a detective-mystic who uses (non-lucid) dreaming and other altered states to solve crimes. Dark at times, but ultimately life-affirming, it’s some of the most skillfully crafted fiction I’ve read in a long while. There’s a review of the first book here, fyi:

I’m also about to dive into novelist Diana Paxon’s non-fiction book Trance-Portation. While it deals mainly with shamanic techniques, there are a couple chapters I’m hoping will open some doors for lucid dreaming – in particular, ‘Mapping the inner worlds’ and ‘Getting along in the culture [of the shamanic/dream realm]’.

Would love to hear about other LD dreaming resources you love…

4 Likes

I will check those out! The mystery mystic thing looks really cool. Reminds of Dirk Gently’s holistic detective agency.

I have just read one of Alan wallace’s books about LD and Andrew’s “Dream Yoga”. In terms of fiction, Philip K. Dick has a lot of interesting self and world bending ideas. “Ubik” was one of those. A lot of his stuff has been made into movies and television: Minority report, bladerunner, man in the high castle. Chronicles of Narnia and The golden compass have multiple universe things going on.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of Philip Dick, too. A lot of the books (including his) that interest me most tend to fall into a category I’d call ‘spiritual fantasy.’ Certainly Narnia does, too. (A lot of children’s books, actually…)

I have Andrew’s Dream Yoga on order and am eagerly awaiting it. I only just heard about Alan Wallace, as he’s mentioned in the Night Club webinars. If you don’t mind, is the Wallace book you read Dreaming Yourself Awake? Was it helpful to you?

3 Likes