Huperzine dose and timing?

I am going to give galantamine a rest and am wondering about dose and timing for huperzine. Any advice?

4 Likes

Hey @Richard, eager to hear how this goes for you. What made you decide to pause Galantamine?

4 Likes

I can’t speak for Richard, but I’ve had nothing but bad experiences with Galantamine. Generally I end up irritable, buzzing, and unable to fall back asleep for hours, and feel weird the next morning. Actually, writing this out, perhaps my dosage has always been too high…

I remember Charlie Morley also writes in Dreams of Awakening about how he tried galantamine once, had a dream that implied it was sacrilegious in some way, and never took it again.

5 Likes

What’s the story with huperzine? I haven’t see this mentioned with other supplements such as Gaba, Galantamine and 5-HTP. So how is this supposed to be used, supposed to work?

4 Likes

I got curious and did some searching. (Aside: Hey @kristenlamarca, do you know anything about this topic?)

Galantamine and Huperzine A are apparently both acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, so they would both increase levels of acetylcholine, which would boost REM/dreaming. At first glance there doesn’t seem to be as much research or detailed information on the use of Huperzine A for lucid dreaming compared to galantamine, but it’s definitely being used for that purpose and it seems like they would have similar effects on dreaming.

The discussion Alternating Galantamine and Huperzine-A? in another lucid dreaming forum talks about switching-off between the two as a means of avoiding becoming too resistant to the effects of one of them (personally I don’t generally think it’s a good idea to overuse anything like this, but to each her own). One post mentions dosage:

I have been using Galantamine and Huperzine A for a few years now and they made all the difference in the world. I went from having lucid dreams that were less than 5 minutes long to having 20 to 40 minutes long dreams. I also combine them with 600mg of Alpha GPC that really helps prolonging the dreams (This often produces dream chaining where I am kicked out of one lucid dream, only to enter another immediately after). Galantamine is difficult to get in Canada, which is why I started to use Huperzine A, which is also less expensive. I found that 400 mcg of Huperzine A does the same for me as 8 mg of Galantamine. I only use them on the weekend as to not create any resistance.

(That post also brings up two additional motivations: easier to get for some people, less expensive.)

I also did a quick search on academic articles in my college library database, but did not find any scholarly articles on using Huperzine A for lucid dreaming; in comparison I found 4 articles on galantamine and lucid dreaming. It would be interesting if someone did a study comparing the two (and placebo) and see what similarities and differences there are on dreaming/lucid dreaming.

~ArthurG

6 Likes

Coming in way late on this one, but some one I trust extremely well when it comes to lucid dreaming recently said this medicine is better than Galantamine. In this video he rates Galantamine as a C- and huperzine A as a B+ when it comes to benefits for lucid dreaming.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of huperzine A. I ordered some off Amazon, it is very cheap compared to Galantamine so if what he says is true it could change the game for a lot of people trying to use supplements to aid in their lucid dreaming.

I asked ChatGPT-4 to search the web for information about it in regards to lucid dreaming and this is what it came back with:

Huperzine A, a supplement derived from Chinese club moss, is increasingly popular in lucid dreaming communities due to its impact on dream recall and awareness. This is attributed to its action as an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, which increases levels of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter linked to memory and cognitive function. This increase in acetylcholine is believed to enhance dream vividness and the likelihood of lucid dreaming, a state where the dreamer is aware they are dreaming and may even control the dream [âťž] [âťž] [âťž] [âťž].

While huperzine A is primarily used for conditions like Alzheimer’s disease due to its cognitive benefits, its role in lucid dreaming has garnered attention. Users have reported increased dream stability and the ability to extend lucid dreams to their full potential. However, there are side effects to consider, such as nausea, stomach ache, restlessness, and loss of appetite, particularly when used excessively.

For those interested in exploring lucid dreaming, huperzine A may offer a beneficial supplement, especially for those with some experience in lucid dreaming. The recommended dosage varies, with some sources suggesting 200mg per day, while others recommend 300 or 400mg for full effectiveness.

In comparison to other lucid dreaming supplements like galantamine, huperzine A is noted for fewer side effects like muscle twitches and nausea. Additionally, it is legal and widely available in various regions, including Europe where galantamine is restricted.

It’s important to note that while huperzine A can be a powerful tool for enhancing lucid dreaming experiences, it should be used responsibly and in moderation to avoid potential adverse effects. As with any supplement, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare provider before beginning use, particularly for individuals with pre-existing health conditions or those taking other medications.

It is important to ask a doctor before taking this one though because it interacts with quite a few medicines.

Here is a link to the best option I could find on Amazon.

https://a.co/d/hQYSFn8

1 Like

Yes

I got this suppliment last year. 200mg per pill.

this book recomended it:

2 Likes

I have seen it recommended along with these other suppliments in that same book I posted:

3 Likes