Marco from Southern Brazil here - interested in dreams and films

Hey folks, cheers from Southern Brazil.
Came across an article written by Andrew Holecek on lionsroar.com titled “What Is Dream Yoga and How Do You Do It?” and this is how I found this community.
I’m a filmmaker investing my time and energy on images and sounds and how they can become good stories when combined. Mainly for ficcional purposes.
Lately I’ve been researching about neuroscience and dreams. More specifically about dreams of minority and indigenous groups across the globe (Amazon forest, Siberia, Iceland etc), present and past. Even more specifically I’m interest in how one inducts lucid dreams.
So I hope to find minds interested in exchanging thoughts and experiences about dreams and screenwriting.
Be all well.
Cheers!

3 Likes

Great to see you here Marco. We recently viewed Aluna for our Saturday Night Movie, which may interest you given your location and research. Lots of information about lucid dream induction in Andrew’s many books and NightClub webinars. How about your own experiences with lucid dreaming, care to share any?

1 Like

Thanks for the note, Barry. Aluna seems to be interesting. First time I heard of it and I think I just found it on youtube. Will definitely watch it. At the moment I cannot recall my lucid dreaming experience since I have no memories about identifying it. Maybe I haven’t had one yet. Maybe I have. Actually my interest in lucid dreams came after I read Sidarta Ribeiro’s “The Oracle of Night: The History and Science of Dreams” which will be soon available in English.

3 Likes

hey @Marco welcome to Night Club!

If the timing works out - perhaps you can join us for #movie-night - this weekend (Saturday, July 3rd at 9pm ET) we’re watching, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”.

There’s so much to explore and learn here in Night Club - and it’s a wonderful community of folks to connect with from around the world!

Happy to meet you and looking forward to seeing you around The Club

1 Like

Thanks, Andy. I will consider the movie night too.
Be well.

2 Likes

@Barry I had the chance to watch Aluna last night. It is incredible how similar the Kogi people are to the Yanomami people in Brazilian-Venezuelan Amazon. These too are trying to tell the white people (“the merchandise people” they say) what should be avoided in order to live well in this world. It is the same message. Yanomami people have a long history of defending themselves against the Brazilian government as well as the agriculture-meat business. I just hope that the audiovisual medium could make us skin jump more drastically into these issues so we could better understand the messages coming from the people in the forest as well as their dreams.

2 Likes

Oi Marco, bem-vindo ao clube dos sonhadores! :grin:

I’m reading Sidarta’s book with a Brazilian buddy of mine. Sidarta’s personal story of his childhood nightmares and the eventual resolution within dreams was a truly beautiful and powerful testament to the potential of dreams to heal and transform us. I’m hoping Andrew will interview Sidarta one day as part of his interview series!

Awesome research topic, by the way - are you making a film on indigenous dreaming? We Merchandise People have a lot to learn from peoples like the Pirahã and Yanomamo.

2 Likes

Oi oi, @alovegren! Bom dia! Thanks for the note. Indeed, Sidarta’s adventures (both personal and scientific) with dreams are pretty interesting. As far as I know he joins the group of scientists who are pushing and investing their lives in brain research here in Brazil. It’s also incredibly awesome to listen to him. Your suggestion to @Andrew for an interview with Sidarta is much appreciated.
At the moment I’m brainstorming and collecting stories that come from the indigenous mind through dreaming. With these stories I hope to start screenwriting soon. But the story for the film as well as its format (short, feature etc) itself is still unknown to me.

1 Like