🎵 Music That Moves You

On a lighter note. Check out the TV series “Reservation Dogs” on Hulu. About contemporary Native kids growing up on a rez in Oklahoma. The first series directed, acted and written by Native folks.

2 Likes

Never heard it before, really good. It speaks truth.

Yes you are right. There were a number peoples.

The reason its especially disturbing is the Cherokee had won rights to stay on their land by the Supreme Court.

Goes to show you the power of the Executive branch.

2 Likes

OK thanks, I didn’t know those details.
I know that Andrew Jackson was involved in a lot of those Indian wars in the Southeast that drove a lot of those tribes out of their traditional territories. Apparently this had a lot to do with his popularity and getting elected as President.

And as for this song, and the band “Paul Revere and the Raiders” - as a kid growing up in L.A. and listening to top 40 hit radio, this song was right up there with the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, etc in terms of the kind of airplay it was getting. They had some other hits too. They often dressed as American Revolutionary War soldiers with those 3 corner hats and blue and white American Revolutionary War outfits. But then they kind of just disappeared sometime in the late 60’s, never to be heard of again. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

One more side note on America’s history from the Indian perspective (and most of them do prefer to be called Indians, btw, not Native American):
My wife had a good friend who passed into Spirit last year who was half Mohawk on her Father’s side and grew up in upstate New York going to ceremonies in the longhouse on the Res. Her take on the Revolutionary War history was quite different than what we learned in American history classes. The Mohawks actually joined with the British to fight the American colonists. She said the reason that they joined the British side is that King George wasn’t actually that happy with the American colonists taking all of that land from the Indians and he was also an abolitionist who was upset with slavery in America.

3 Likes

Glad you mentioned this, I heard something similar, that the majority prefer Indian, but have met at least 1 member of a tribe who prefer NA.

NA scouts helped the American army in the revolutionary war.

The Shawnee helped Canada fight the US in 1812 war I think.

2 Likes

Yeah various tribes lined up either for or against the U.S. government over the years for various reasons. In Montana, the Crow tribe often worked as scouts for the U.S. Cavalry and often fought with the Cavalry against rival tribes. I guess they could see where the tide of history was headed and decided to join the side that was winning. Not sure if it got them any advantages in the end.

2 Likes

Immortality of their culture and beliefs, so it was not lost to the sands of time

Did not no this, very interesting.

Have you heard about this guy and his relationship to the native tribes?

If you want to understand Jacksons hatred, this might help.

Cant blame the natives for thinking Jogues cursed them. I don’t know the full extent of the torture, but guessing I dont want to know either.

1 Like

Beloved @BlessingsDeers

You are awesome :star_struck:

just listed to this one for the fist time, so good.

Even more so the very many synchronicities of the cover art, thank you my friend <3

@Bianca_Aga :sunny: + :first_quarter_moon_with_face:

3 Likes

Yes indeed! Great song and great album!

3 Likes

@Nighthawk999.
Yes, this history is tragic. The Mohawk were terrified of all of these new strange diseases that accompanied these white people. And then you have this strange guy doing strange magic rituals showing up, so he must be the guy bringing the bad medicine. And in a way he was helping to bring these diseases, even though he thought that he was bringing the true religion. It’s all very tragic. Such is the sad history of the Americas and of the human race.

2 Likes

Amen,

Just listened to this gem:

The River

4 Likes

Really like the intro of this one

All My Love

4 Likes

More Bruce Cockburn. That’s Jackson Browne singing harmony.

If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody hear?

2 Likes

Excellent series, “Dark Winds” The show was created by Chickasaw Nation member Graham Roland and directed by Chris Eyre (Smoke Signals , Skins , Skinwalkers , Edge of America , Hide Away), an enrolled member of theCheyenne and Arapaho Tribes. The show is executive produced by two well-known New Mexico residents: George R. R. Martin (Game of Thrones) and Robert Redford*.* Not music, but sorta goes with some of the later themes. Two seasons

2 Likes

Really good first episode.

Did they take the movie Thunder Heart (1992) and turn it into a Series? :wink::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

No, totally different. That was a good movie, but this is based on the Tony Hillerman books and all the production is done by Diné (Navajo). Two seasons. I am a Zahn McClarnon fan, the lead actor, but all the actors with only obvious exceptions are Diné. Diné culture weaves through the series taking place in the 1970s.

2 Likes

I meant more so the themes and characters of the pilot episode were very similar to those of Thunderheart.

I really liked the pilot, are the rest of the episodes that good, or do they start to decline?

1 Like

@fenwizard did not realize you had posted All My Love before. Great minds think a like.

@_Barry did not realize you posted a clip of TS- Love Story back in december. Great minds think a like

2 Likes