4 Likes

Relatively thugs rje

4 Likes

This is truly amazing stuff!

I love your style.

3 Likes

Not ngo bo…
… not… ngo bo , “essence”, oneness or emptiness

I interpret this beautiful picture as the display of encapsulation in encapsulation in encapsulation… The illusion of demarkations…

Almost kun gzhi

Almost… kun gzhi , “the base of all” or storehouse consciousness…
… I interpret a containment, but open at the top, containing but not segregating

Virtually … stong pa nyid …

Virtually … emptiness, virtually ‘free from permanence and non-existence’
I interpret, the room exists and exists not at the same time…

Essentially ka dag

Essentially … “primordially pure” …
primordial purity to be found in the experience of empty nature of phenomena

I try to stay in the experience of allowing the earthy strong colors stir my mind… relax and stay… what might be found when the swell subsides?

Approximately rang bzhin

Approximately … rang bzhin , “nature”, luminosity, lucidity or clarity, said to be the second quality of Buddha-nature

… forms are being illuminated… beautiful

Like gsal ba

Like… gsal ba … clarity
LIke a water drop… clear of impurities…

Substantially lhun sgrub

Substantially … lhun sgrub … spontaneous presence or primordially existent
… like a seesaw… stillness of body, energy and mind…reveals _ _ _

Typically dyber med
dyber med … don’t know that word…

Relatively thugs rje
Relatively …thugs rje …“power”, universal, compassionate energy, the third quality of buddha-nature
… out of inseparability of emptiness and clear luminosity arises spontaneously… thugs rje …
… the picture beautifully transports the power of the “sun”…

@naupegos Amazing and powerful expression in your art ! Thanks again for sharing!

4 Likes

i was deep into tenzin wangyal’s ‘wonders of the natural mind’ and night before last my dream yoga visualizations kept being supplanted with the images in these paintings. had no lucid dreams because of these flashing images fragmenting rem and deep sleep alike. you and steve and barry et al. have such an eloquent grasp of dzogchen (and a ready wit, besides) but i can only understand these concepts in dream-paintings. i woke up yesterday and painted all nine paintings in a rush one after the other in a 14 hour period of symbolic understanding i am unable to put into words. i am very happy you guys and others in this forum bare your unguarded minds in such a stimulating repartee that so greatly informs less verbal minds.

3 Likes

Not sure where it comes in, but the title Not finding the yak reminded me of once finding a Dzo on the trail. Probably not what you’re describing in your terrific illustrations, but maybe it’s the same search?

4 Likes

wow. what a long strange trip it’s been for you, barry. i think your autobiography would be a fantastic read. in tenzin wangyal’s ‘wonders of the natural mind’ he mentions the “tibetan example of losing a yak and going out to look for it and not finding it. not finding the yak is what we find.” so it is with my searching for true comprehension of kun gzhi or gsal ba. not finding true comprehension of them is what i find. instead, what i find are images that resonate nonverbally in me. but i like those images. i see them in sleep and meditation and rest in contemplation of them. perhaps that is enough.

3 Likes

@naupegos Wow, seems to me that this art is an amazing creative expression of your wisdom mind communicating non-verbally with the „upper“ parts of your consciousness.
Since you are reading TWR‘s book, allow me to bring to your attention something he said several times on different retreats just in case you have not heard it before.
He pointed out that that it is not the conceptual mind which „understands“ rigpa. It is experienced by practice of naked awareness (i.e. not thinking or analyzing about something intellectually but by naked awareness).
In the Yungdrung Bön dzogchen traditions there is thus a saying „The more one talks about it (rigpa), the farther one is away from it.“
So, any intellectual verbalisation is - according to this view - only the „finger pointing at the moon“ but not the moon itself. Thus, one cannot understand the moon by focussing on the finger.
It is like the difference of actually being lucid in a dream compared to talking/thinking about this experience the next morning.
In fact it is even possible of leading oneself astray in intellectualising (verbalising) the dzogchen teachings and grasping onto those mental concepts totally missing dzogchen itself, which is beyond concepts.

As I heard TWR say on different occasions, several fully realized dzogchen masters of the lineage which achieved rainbow body were „simple“ yak herders, totally unlearned. But by dedicated yogic practice they achieved full realization.
No sophisticated intellectualisation needed…

Since you are reading Wonders of the Natural Mind - which is an amazing book - have you already met Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche?

Why do we even need to remember if we were lucid?

1 Like

You mean, why one would need to remember if one had had a lucid dream?

1 Like

Yes . . . . . . . . . . . . . (sorry, need enough characters for a response :grinning:)

Got it! Will read that book starting tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed the two week Dream/Sleep Yoga retreats and look forward to the next, deeper retreat next week. I will say that Yak (Swiss) cheese is delicious, even if we could’t find the animal,

I haven’t met TWR although I did just finish his week long dream yoga retreat and the following week of sleep yoga on Zoom. I recently found out that Serenity Ridge - one of his retreat centers - is a ten minute drive from my house; so, I guess i’ll go meet him in person when comes back this way.

2 Likes