Sharing Dharma Through Music

I’ve been listening to this video/audio below for about a week and sending it to friends to enjoy as well. Listening to it has been instructive and uplifting. It’s a concert version of the 100-Syllable Mantra that I promised my wife I’d learn, one the most profound mantras in Tibetan Buddhism. Luckily, there is a short version, so I’m covered. Thought I’d share it here too.

I knew that to learn the Mantra musically was the only way I could learn the 98 out of the 100 unknown (to me) syllables. I do know two. The short version kicks in around 6:25 and I’ve already learned that. All four syllables. Progress. I liked the way the vocalist had the audience participate and recite the short version, which can be a great benefit for them when they learn about it. More about the 100 Syllable Mantra.

6 Likes

Getting old . . . . . . . . . .

No, I just forgot. Staying up too late reading all these Dharma books. Assuming nothing.

Sometimes I try to search for simple stuff that I know how to do but purposefully to relearn how to do it, or do it differently. I don’t like it when I assume that I should be doing everything by habit. So, I will often brush my teeth with my non-dominant hand or drink tea out of a soup bowl or wear suspenders instead of a belt. It’s so easy to get stuck and changing routines can be beneficial or just fun (most of the time). In a ridiculous sense, the NOW gets longer.

3 Likes

Yep…getting old. :sunglasses:

Listening on my studio headphones. This is wonderful.

2 Likes

Thank you this is lovely

1 Like

I love her versions of these mantras. She has a few albums out and does a lot of the major ones - Chenrezig, Tara, etc. Sometimes I just listen to the Tara one on repeat!

2 Likes

I edited it to just the short version on my phone which is a good one to have in an emergency.

That technique of reversing brain currents or whatever by throwing your brain’s expectations off balance is total hard core Mahamudra, I think. I’ve heard it recommended in addiction medicine.

Beautiful!

Here is one of our travel mantras that I loop in the car on motor trips:

3 Likes

Divine :heart_eyes: Thank you so much, Barry :pray:

2 Likes

Here is one of my personal favorites—of all things a Rap Chant. Have a couple statues of him in the Shrine room and around the house. This “chant” was used in the “Chair Yoga” class I took at the local YMCA.

1st verse
Ganesh is so fresh chillin on his throne / surrounded by incense fruit and gold
with a heap of sweets piled in his bowl / he guards the gate and protects the threshold
when your blessed by Ganesh than you can travel / on a sacred journey to an inner temple
he paves the path that leads to the soul / & he’s known for removing all obstacles
now some may think it’s illogical / a myth or it’s just philosophical
but Ganesh makes everything possible / because elephant power’s unstoppable

Jaya Ganesha, Jaya Ganesha, Jaya Ganesha Om

2nd verse
To the god of all wisdom loved by all children / known for blessing homes that we live in
to the lord of all creatures with divine features / inspiring the minds of all truth seekers
to the son of Shiva and Parvati / with an elephants head and a fat belly
with a snake for a belt to hold up his pants / he rides on a mouse and he loves to dance
with a lotus unfolding inside one of his of his hands / & an axe to attack all ignorance
a broom to remove all hindrance / and a noose to reduce all selfishness
he writes the pages that the sages chant / droppin ancient vedic science so we can
comprehend / all the many ways that we can transcend
singin Jai to Ganesh he’s a yogi’s best friend

Jaya Ganesha Jaya Ganesha Jaya Ganesha Om

3rd verse
I pray to Ganesh to take away the stress / and pave the way into a place that’s blessed
centered in the chest where the breath is felt / when your blessed by Ganesh than the
stress can melt / he destroys the knots that confine your thoughts / he dissolves the walls
& he breaks the blocks / he unlocks the door to the sacred core / & he guards the gate
at the pelvic floor / the benevolent elephant who’s super intelligent / at the base of the
spine he’s the earth element / he’s the ruler of the muladhara chakra / his brother rides
a peacock and his names is Skanda / to the son of Uma and Mahadeva we offer this puja
to Shri Ganesha / to the son of Parvati and Mahesh dedicated to Ganesh cuz he’s so fresh

Jaya Ganesha Jaya Ganesha Jaya Ganesha Om

2 Likes

Really! :star_struck:

1 Like

Do you the song from his last album, “Stuck Inside a Cloud”? Like most of his best songs, it seems to fluctuate between contemplating divine and human love – and the merging of the two.

1 Like

First I heard of it. Thanks for the pointer. Loved the Beatles. The last group I followed was The Eagles.

I would say that the popular love song and its lethal promise of complete fulfillment through romantic love propelled me into dharma as much as anything!

1 Like

Stopped listening to popular music in the 1970s. People still buy into that?

Good Sleep Yoga course upcoming from Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. Just finished a two week course with him and he really is a special teacher and has helped me sleep better.

Peace

1 Like