Sharing Dharma Through Music

I’ve been listening to this video/audio below for about a week and sending it to friends to enjoy as well. Listening to it has been instructive and uplifting. It’s a concert version of the 100-Syllable Mantra that I promised my wife I’d learn, one the most profound mantras in Tibetan Buddhism. Luckily, there is a short version, so I’m covered. Thought I’d share it here too.

I knew that to learn the Mantra musically was the only way I could learn the 98 out of the 100 unknown (to me) syllables. I do know two. The short version kicks in around 6:25 and I’ve already learned that. All four syllables. Progress. I liked the way the vocalist had the audience participate and recite the short version, which can be a great benefit for them when they learn about it. More about the 100 Syllable Mantra.

5 Likes

The soft music is beautiful Barry! Love her voice too!

Yup you can embed the video…just copy the link and paste it… the video gets embedded

2 Likes

Getting old . . . . . . . . . .

Nope! Just gotta learn the new techniques… it’s the same for anyone irrespective of age :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No, I just forgot. Staying up too late reading all these Dharma books. Assuming nothing.

Ah! Okay :slightly_smiling_face: Didn’t get the “assuming nothing” part

1 Like

Sometimes I try to search for simple stuff that I know how to do but purposefully to relearn how to do it, or do it differently. I don’t like it when I assume that I should be doing everything by habit. So, I will often brush my teeth with my non-dominant hand or drink tea out of a soup bowl or wear suspenders instead of a belt. It’s so easy to get stuck and changing routines can be beneficial or just fun (most of the time). In a ridiculous sense, the NOW gets longer.

3 Likes

Like that! Wow! You know this is what I mean by it’s gonna take me a long time to catch up! :grinning:

:+1:

1 Like

And speaking of mantras, this is the one am doing these days :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The syllables I seemed to have learned and that keep playing in my head

:notes: Ha ha ha ha ho bhagavan :grinning:

1 Like

Yep…getting old. :sunglasses:

Listening on my studio headphones. This is wonderful.

2 Likes

Thank you this is lovely

1 Like

I love her versions of these mantras. She has a few albums out and does a lot of the major ones - Chenrezig, Tara, etc. Sometimes I just listen to the Tara one on repeat!

2 Likes

I edited it to just the short version on my phone which is a good one to have in an emergency.

In the meantime, impressed by the benefits accrued in recitation of the mantra, learnt the Sanskrit version of the 100 syllable Vajrasattva mantra by heart…

oṃ
vajrasattva samaya manupālaya
vajrasattva tvenopatiṣṭha
dṛḍho me bhava
sutoṣyo me bhava
supoṣyo me bhava
anurakto me bhava
sarvasiddhiṃ me prayaccha
sarvakarma su ca me cittaṃ śreyaḥ kuru
hūṃ
ha ha ha ha hoḥ
bhagavan sarvatathāgata vajra mā me muñca
vajrībhava mahāsamayasattva
āḥ hum phat

1 Like

That technique of reversing brain currents or whatever by throwing your brain’s expectations off balance is total hard core Mahamudra, I think. I’ve heard it recommended in addiction medicine.

Not Buddha but Krishna, still Dharma :slightly_smiling_face:

#BhaktiYoga

2 Likes

Beautiful!

Here is one of our travel mantras that I loop in the car on motor trips:

2 Likes

Divine :heart_eyes: Thank you so much, Barry :pray:

2 Likes

A cool coincidence :slightly_smiling_face: both have Harrison for their last names! :grinning:

2 Likes