Spirituality and Science.....In Search of a New Fundamental Reality

I wonder if the model of „collapsing wave function“ is actually a slightly wrong view:
It implies that potentiality collapses into one „real“ state (I.e. one reality) depending on the method of observation.
Subjectively that seems to describe the observation at least on subatomic level.
But, I find it more logically consistent to consider that potentiality does not „collapse“ as such but is interpreted as a subjective observation.
The same ultimate reality is being interpreted in multiple (partially similar) ways, and thus appears different to different frames of reference.

Think of a rainbow.
For a rainbow to appear, several conditions must be simultaneously in place: rain drops, position of the sun, eyes which can pick up the relevant light spectrum and the specific position of the oberserver. Only if all come together, then there will be a :rainbow:.
Change only the position of the observer or angle of view, and the „object“ rainbow does not exist.

So, for two humans at different positions, one seeing the rainbow and one does not… which one is the correct reality? :wink:
Has the first observer „collapsed“ potentially to see the rainbow and the other has not?

Or was the same infinite potentialty simply viewed from two different angles, like viewing one or the other side if a coin?

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

Agree completely. That is, for me, the most exciting part.

How about into many “real” states at the same time…depending upon perspective? According to Godel’s Incompleteness Theorem there should be an infinite number of “realities”.

This is my favorite explanatory metaphor.

2 Likes

Blockquote

Possible.
But what if „collapsing“ itself is the subjective illusion?

3 Likes

Well, in light of @_Barry 's perspective of Western science kind of catching up with things, the scenario of a “collapsing wave” is the best image we have, illusory or not, right?

We “Westerners” seem to always need some sort of imagery to create our theories that explain spirituality based “realities” that feel so right but have yet to be mathematically proven.

3 Likes

I love it! Perspectives, it’s all perspectives . . . maybe.

I’m reminded of a Veteran I met a couple of years ago at the Warriors Art Room, a place where Vets use art for PTSD therapy, who told me about a story he told his daughter about the rainbow and how it stays together the way it just is.

All the colors started to gripe after purple saw that the king used purple as his royal color, giving purple a swelled feeling of pride and first place amongst the colors of the beautiful lightbright display. After all, he kept them all together as the first, foundational color. Slowly, one by one, the other colors broke off until purple was left all alone and as the colors went their own way, the weight actually got heavier and heavier until he/she/it could no longer bear the weight. H/S/I’s perspective had changed and she apologized to the other colors and begged them to return. And to this day they exist in harmony.

3 Likes