A Glitch in the Matrix - Sundance Film

Hey, just a heads-up that the Sundance Film Festival – accessible online only this year – is featuring a film called A Glitch in the Matrix; the premiere will have a Q&A afterwards. I think it might be of great interest to some people here. Description:

A Glitch in the Matrix / U.S.A. (Director: Rodney Ascher, Producer: Ross M. Dinerstein) — A multi-media exploration of simulation theory – an idea as old as Plato’s Republic and as current as Elon Musk’s Twitter feed – through the eyes of those who suspect our world isn’t real. Part sci-fi mind-scrambler, part horror story, this is a digital journey to the limits of radical doubt. World Premiere

Obviously the view “our world isn’t real” is a central aspect of dream yoga (although it’s one of the parts I have mixed thoughts/feelings about :thinking:). “Simulation theory” seems like the “world is illusory” concept gussied up in modern sci/tech lingo.

Tickets are $15 and are still available at this exact moment. Premiere of this one with Q&A is 9 p.m. PT, Saturday, Jan 30th. I’m planning to be watching. I believe film tickets are only available in the USA.

https://festival.sundance.org/

~ArthurG

3 Likes

p.s. of related interest: Sundance this year also has a New Frontier program that includes VR/AR/computer stuff (some items require a VR headset, some use a phone or computer browser).

A $25 Explorer pass is required to view New Frontier stuff, which also gives access to all the shorts and the Indie pieces.

Details here.

Some of the stuff may be of interest to Night Club members, e.g. Namoo:

This evocative, immersive experience follows the journey of a man from birth to the end of his life, with the entire journey taking place on a grassy knoll next to a seed that grows into a sapling and, eventually, a fully mature tree. Namoo , which means “tree” in Korean, collects meaningful memories in its branches—from pacifiers, stuffed animals, books, and favorite scarves, to broken glasses and objects from times the man would rather forget.

~ArthurG

1 Like

Another movie I’m seeing is Strawberry Mansion

Strawberry Mansion / U.S.A. (Directors and Screenwriters: Albert Birney, Kentucker Audley, Producers: Taylor Shung, Sarah Winshall, Emma Hannaway, Matisse Rifai) In a world where the government records and taxes dreams, an unassuming dream auditor gets swept up in a cosmic journey through the life and dreams of an aging eccentric named Bella. Together, they must find a way back home. *Cast: Penny Fuller, Kentucker Audley, Grace Glowicki, Reed Birney, Linas Phillips, Consta

nce Shulman. World Premiere*

3 Likes

Strawberry Mansion looks like a really good one for Movie Night. I didn’t see it available on Amazon Prime. Where are you watching it? @ArthurG

1 Like

It’s at the Sundance Film Festival, which is available online. I’ve got a ticket for the showing of Strawberry Mansion at 6 p.m. tonight (PT). Unfortunately that film is now sold out. Hopefully it will become available for streaming post-festival.

On the plus side, A Glitch in the Matrix will be available for streaming Feb. 5th 2021: https://www.aglitchinthematrixfilm.com/

1 Like

I tried last night to get a ticket for Strawberry Mansion and everything was sold out - then this morning it was available again at 6pm Pacific. I got a ticket and then noticed that it was sold out again - guess I got lucky! They do say in their notes to keep trying back because they might add more show times.

1 Like