Alien Abductions

Thank you Alyssa @AlyssaModerator . For your labors as moderator. For helping sustain this platform for our inquiries. One of the interlocutors here has been in touch regarding a question I had about books – for better and for worse, I am a bookish fellow. I thought there might be a place for a section/topic devoted to books. My intuition here would be a section devoted to book reviews (read by community members and reviewed by them) that would answer several pertinent questions: (1) in what way does this book shed light on lucid the discussion of dreaming, dream yoga, slope yoga, bardo yoga as presented by Andrew Holecek’s books, and books related to these? (2) in what way does this book contribute to the practice of dream yoga, lucid dreaming … as discussed in Andrew Holecek’s books, and books related to these? (3) in what ways do you think this book can be useful to members of this community? (4) what has changed in your understanding and practice as a consequence of reading this book? Why would I circumscribe the reviews in this way? Because, in my limited experiences and understandings, these universes of dreams are related to everything, or at least we can construe them as such. It is easy to get carried away and to lose focus. Let us present the book by focusing the discussion on the context, the work of Andrew Holecek, and from there to the wider discussion of these yogas of waking, sleeping, dreaming, and such. I’m not saying these are the best questions or the only questions. I appreciate that by circumscribing matters in this way some might feel too constrained. But we have to make some choices and this is one suggestion on how to make them. I’d limit reviews to 800 words, that is probably less than two single spaced type written pages, usually the length of an editorial. Probably less than my ramblings here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is a fantastic suggestions! We are currently working on a section devoted to all of the books Andrew mentions/recommends. I love the idea of opening a section for all members to discuss book reviews! I will see what I can get worked out for this.
Thank you for such an amazing contribution.

4 Likes

Yes I think that is a really great idea as well!

3 Likes

Is reading stealing? Or is writing sharing?

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on these questions?

2 Likes

I think of writing as a gift being offered up for sharing. In writing, a person offers up through words, something of their mental life. In reading, some of that mental material transfers to the reader’s mind. Is it stealing if it was offered as a gift? I think it would only be stealing if, by reading, you claimed the ideas from those words to be yours and yours alone. But reading itself, and allowing yourself to be affected by the words of the writer, doesn’t equate to me as stealing something away… It was written to be shared, it was written with the hope of being witnessed…

3 Likes

I agree, it certainly can be. Basically, I look at writing as communication—a form of thinking and visible speech, which can be a gift or many other things, as well. Writing (and rewriting) is a way to refine one’s thinking which can be an examination of one’s experiences and values or it can have less good purposes. Reading is also a form of communication where purposes and consequences are open-ended. Do readers get the author’s messages or do they construct their own meanings? Interesting to think about.

3 Likes

I think that with any form of communication, no matter how clear the sender has been, the recipient will filter the message from the sender through their own biases/habits/states of mind and construct their own meaning which may or may not be what was intended. The same is true of the sender though, their intended message will be filtered through their own biases, and may or may not come out as a good match of their internal world… So there is always the risk that the original meaning of the message gets lost in translation… It’s a risk we take in expressing ourselves, (and the reason that “wise speech” is… well… wise).
…and as a side note, I feel kind of sad considering the “less good purposes” you mention about writing!

3 Likes