ARTICLE: Near-death experiences, a survival strategy?

An interesting hypothesis. Near-death experiences, a survival strategy?: A study in the journal Brain Communications by Danish and Belgian researchers attributes for the first time a biological purpose to near-death experiences (NDEs)

Near-death experiences are known from all parts of the world, various times and numerous cultural backgrounds. This universality suggests they may have a biological origin and purpose, but exactly what this could be has been largely unexplored.

A new study conducted jointly by the University of Copenhagen (Denmark) and the University of Liege (Belgium) and published in Brain Communications shows how near-death experiences in humans may have arisen from evolutionary mechanisms.

ā€œAdhering to a preregistered protocol, we investigated the hypothesis that thanatosis is the evolutionary origin of near-death experiencesā€, says Daniel Kondziella, a neurologist from Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital.

When attacked by a predator, as a last resort defense mechanism, animals can feign death to improve their chances of survival, one example being the opossum. This phenomenon is termed thanatosis, also known as death-feigning or tonic immobility. ā€œAs a survival strategy,ā€ Daniel Kondziella adds, ā€œthanatosis is probably as old as the fight-or-flight response.ā€

Charlotte Martial, neuropsychologist from the Coma Science Group at ULiĆØge explains: ā€œWe first show that thanatosis is a highly preserved survival strategy occurring at all major nodes in a cladogram ranging from insects to fish, reptiles, birds and mammals, including humans. We then show that humans under attack by big animals such as lions or grizzly bears, human predators such as sexual offenders, and ā€˜modernā€™ predators such as cars in traffic accidents can experience both thanatosis and near-death experiences. Furthermore, we show that the phenomenology and the effects of thanatosis and near-death experiences overlap.ā€

LINK

5 Likes

That whole thanatosis thing aside, I suspect that when we have a near death experience our long held and well established reification of the world around us may fall apart leaving us to slip into what Joanna Macy refers to in her book, Mutual Causality in Buddhism and General Systems Theory as ā€œimmaculate perceptionā€.

4 Likes

Interesting article, which tries to approach the phenomenon of near death experiences from a evolutionary, functional point of view.
Perhaps there really is a functional aspect to the phenomenon but I doubt that that is all to it.
A friend of mine who had a near death experience after a motorcycle accident, described his experience as leaving the body, hovering a couple of meters above the scene and resting in a blissful state before being pulled back into the body.
Some parts of this could be functionally explained as a pain-avoidance strategy at time of trauma.
But why do so many report blissful states (a neutral state would suffice for pain avoidance), why do so many hover above the scene and can later report details of things said by others or visual details although they were ā€žknocked outā€œ or even brain dead?
Why do so many report a bright light and the wish to follow it but then having to return to their bodies?
How do these things fit into a mere survival mechanism which only would have the purpose to make sure that their bodies seem to be dead for several minutes? Why not just black out like in stage 4 NREM sleep - that would be simple and effective?

4 Likes

There are reasonable answers to all of your questions, but for now Iā€™ll just point out that among other things the human mind is an excellent sense-making process (think about how good we are at finding patterns in pure chaos), that bodies and components of same are often used for multiple purposes, and that evolution elaborates on mechanisms that already exist, rather than starting from scratch all the time.

If I continue to exist in a post-mortal state Iā€™ll be delighted, but Iā€™m not going to count on it. Although I suspect awareness or consciousness is an intrinsic aspect of existence like gravity or magnetism, I also suspect that my ā€œindividual,ā€ ā€œseparateā€ (illusions, both) consciousness will probably melt into nothing/everythingness when I die.

ā€œI wonder what form Iā€™ll be reincarnated into,ā€ thought the snowflake as it dissolved blissfully into the ocean of awareness and completely and forever ceased to exist as a temporarily/seemingly separate entity.

3 Likes

From my understanding of the Bardo state that doesnā€™t necessarily happen right away.

2 Likes

I came across this passage in Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines by W. E. Evans-Wentz that seems germane to this discussion.

"According to the esoteric symbology of the Tibetan gurus, the process of death is compared to that of a lamp dying for lack of oil. By similar symbolism, they explain esoterically the various apparitional phenomena, such as the radiances, sounds, and forms, perceived by the by the one dying and in the after death state.

2 Likes

:cold_face:

• Near-death experiences have been reported for thousands of years.
  • One possible explanation is that our brains are flooded with a hallucinogenic, DMT, as we approach the moment of death.
  • Researchers observed a spike of DMT in the brains of rats that suffered a cardiac arrest.
3 Likes

I read all of the Big Think articles and it seems to me that most, if not all, are written from a very definite materialist perspective. Within that perspective, the brain produces consciousness and thus when the brain stops functioningā€¦consciousness ceases as well.

I just picked up a copy of ā€œConsciousness Unboundā€ and the first chapter, which I will be getting into today, is entitled, ā€œNear-Death Experiencesā€. Iā€™ll report back on any insights. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Perhaps materialistic, but there is an interesting point here, that when taking psychedelic drugs people sometime report religious-type experiences and thus an explanation for a possible link of these naturally occurring drugs to NDEs is an interesting one.

1 Like

I agree. Here is a quote on this exact subject from the above referenced book where the author had just basically said just what you did:

However, the author noted that these similarities did not establish a neurochemical cause of NDEā€™s

3 Likes

Proof?

3 Likes

Indeed.

Scientism, on the other hand, is just metaphysics, and there are lots and lots of metaphysical beliefs.

Science, according to this philosophy, revealed to us the ā€œreal world,ā€ which was the world independent of us.

It really does amaze me that real world scientists can still live completely in a totally human-centric worldā€¦as if humans were what the universe centers on.

That is definitely changing, however, as philosophy begins to merge with science.

2 Likes

Settled

2 Likes

This does not explain all of the phenomena of near death experiences. For instance there are cases where people died in hospitals (and were later revived) and could see things sitting on top of shelves that they couldnā€™t see from the perspective of the hospital bed where they were lying. They could accurately tell people what was on top of those shelves.

1 Like

Iā€™ve read such claims and Iā€™ve read convincing skeptical debunking of such claims, so

1 Like

I was particularly intrigued by the statement ā€œā€˜modernā€™ predators such as cars in traffic accidentsā€ having experienced one recently. The experience was peculiar in that i felt time had split in one i saw the moment it occurred when i thought i had a choice to follow any one of the numerous time lines. In other i had no choice but to suffer the trauma of a damaged car but physically be intact. Then as i continued the replay i stepped back to the moments prior to the accident. I am not sure if i blacked out or fell asleep and reified the incident in a waking dream. I remain grateful to my karma that no other vehicle was involved.

1 Like

What a synchronicity ā€¦ just typed this comment and saw todayā€™s Whisper a quote by Jonathan Bricklin

1 Like

When you cant fight, flight, or fuck the threat, Sometimes the most powerful response is to FREEZE.

It puts the ball in the threats court, and knowing it has no one to create friction or tango with, sometimes causes it to lose interest.

this womans death was recently in the news, it created a very big outcry.

Its kind of related to the article. Kind of not.

But I think of the death of Jesus. He chose to FREEZE

I think the members of the Civil Rights movement that organized non violent sit ins, they also chose to FREEZE.

Sometimes, sacrificing your body and or ego to a threat, sends shockwaves through the hearts and minds of millions.

A true freeze response is not a choice. The conscious mind doesnā€™t chose it. Itā€™s a response of the autonomic nervous system to a threat that appears to be too big to fight or run from (the fight or flight response of the sympathetic nervous system). The dorsal branch of the vagus nerve will then instigate the freeze response. If you are not moving, or appear dead, a predator will often loose interest. Also I donā€™t think this has anything to do with near death experiences as these occur during a period when the body shows all of the signs of death. There will be no heart beat or respiration, etc. If you find a oppossum who has gone into freeze mode, you can still measure a heart rate and respiration, even if it is slowed down considerably.