Best dream journal app - does it exist?

Hello.

I’m wondering if y’all have your fav dream journal app. I’ve played around with two of them and it was nice to use speech to text feature. Saves a lot of time. But after a while I found all of these apps are discontinued. Unfortunately. Maybe it’s just me that I can’t find the perfect app or maybe there is no perfect app around? What are your experiences? Did you find anything you could recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Mark

4 Likes

I use Easy Voice Recorder to record my dream reports, then email the file to myself and transcribe it later. It’s not a dream diary app per se, but this way I don’t have to worry about apps being discontinued or whatever.

~ArthurG

2 Likes

Hi Mark,
I use the Notes app on my phone/iPad, in which I can type or dictate. It’s definitely not a great way to do it, but I haven’t found anything else I like, including old fashioned hand-writing.
Lisa

2 Likes

This is such a great discussion area, @niraham! The age old question - how does one journal?

The basics work best for me. I scribble down keywords all night (in the dark!) and then transcribe them into full dreams throughout the day or next few days into a Google doc using the app while I’m on the go and the desktop if Im in my office. I also keep detailed records of data and stats to accompany the entries in a spreadsheet - all in the cloud to ensure that the data is safe and can be accessed from multiple devices.

I also like to have physical copies to go through, so I plan to print them from docs as well.

This system has worked better than any app that I’ve tried and I feel fairly confident that Google’s suite of products will be around for at least a little while.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your answers. Right now I decided to use third app in my life. It’s called Licidity Level. You have to pay $2 for it but I thought - maybe if it’s not free - it will exist a bit longer. You can export your dream journal to a TXT file so you can be sure your dreams are safe. It’s got som cool features too like a daily quote about dreams and reminders: Are you dreaming? :slight_smile:
I have it for maybe 3 weeks and I’m quite satisfied.

4 Likes

I use a version of what the first comments here mention, which is use the dictation function on my iPhone. I have a dream journal now set up in my iPhone “Pages” app. Each entry is simple, beginning w the day and date in bold and then text underneath.

Dictation has turned out to be a critical factor. I dictate into my iPhone as soon as I wake up on my way to the bathroom, because I take a blood pressure medication that causes me to get up to piss several times a night. This medication facilitates my dream work!

Decades ago when I was in Jungian therapy, my therapist had to write down and type Out dreams. That process was tedious and took what was essentially an extremely plastic and diffuse dream and forced it through a logic that it didn’t originally have. In contrast, dictation upon Immediately arising captures ambivalent and extraordinarily contradictory And complex material. I go over what I have dictated later in the day to incorrect spellings and do some editing, This whole process is quick and relatively effortless. Every day or whenever it is that I remember my dreams, I add the new one onto the document, which is now becoming a big dream journal. Each day is dictated onto a new, fresh last page.

1 Like

I use Just Record on my Apple Watch and later go back and listen to record my dreams. I’ll check out Lucidity Level to see if the transcription accuracy makes it useful enough for me. Thanks for recommending.

2 Likes

We have a Dream Sharing category here on Discourse: https://community.nightclub.andrewholecek.com/c/dream-sharing/19

Some members have started their own threads for journaling their dreams.

Just another fun way to use the Night Club Community! :slight_smile:

I have been toying with the idea of creating a Dream Journal app for Night Club.

1 Like

Hey @AndyK, are there any upcoming Dream Sharing Zoom groups? The only one currently listed in the “Upcoming” Schedule is May 3 (6 days ago). Also, is there a way to be notified by email of newly scheduled sharing sessions, so I don’t miss any?

I would recommend these video chat dream sharing sessions to NC members – I quite enjoy them

~ArthurG

2 Likes

I also enjoy them and learn a lot. I have another Zoom meeting on Sundays that conflicts, so I hope they get moved to an hour later, but not for me, only is it is good for other participants as well.

2 Likes

Hey @ArthurG + @_Barry thank you for the feedback!!

I am going to create a new category in Discourse called Dream Sharing Group where I will post the upcoming schedule (and I’ll update the webpage as well).

As of now we’re doing 3-meetups per month. 1st and 3rd Sunday’s and 4th Tuesday of every month (to be precise).

There has been suggestions to record the Dream Sharing Group meet-ups and post them for replay… do you think that would be beneficial?

3 Likes

I’d like to see recordings if people feel good about that. Wouldn’t went it to inhibit sharing because of it. Also, maybe adjust meeting times an hour or two (+/-) depending upon participants. Some folks from other countries might benefit from that.

1 Like

@AndyK, I almost certainly wouldn’t share dreams if they were being recorded and posted. Other people might feel differently.

One thing that’s been bothering me a little is people coming in late. I’m willing to go along with it, but I feel like it somewhat disrupts the group field that forms. I’d prefer if there was a rule that after the first 5 or 10 minutes after start time the doors are closed.

~ArthurG

1 Like