Dying Sister in Play Recites Bardo of Becoming - April 9 2018 (non-lucid)

I had this dream not long after my sister died of cancer in early 2018.

Watching a play with Liz about two sisters, one dying of cancer. Her friend is interviewing her and she starts reciting the “Bardo of Becoming,” starting with “Soon I will be dead…” She describes the phenomenology of dying, what it’s like for her. Several other characters appear (male if I recall correctly), one growling, one making a droning sound—creating the atmosphere of a Buddhist ceremony; the speech at this point has subtitles . I find this riveting. Then I’m on a full school bus traveling in the area in which I grew up. I’m talking to a guy I used to work with at a library who had a glass eye from a botched operation, asking him if he’s a Buddhist, if he’s studied that or meditated, and telling him about the play, especially the Bardo of Becoming scene. I comment that Liz probably hated that scene, but I love it.

I am open to comments, questions, interpretation suggestions (I prefer the format “If this was my dream…” but I’ll assume you are implicitly saying that in any case).

~ArthurG

10 Likes

@ArthurG Thank you for sharing this dream with us. It would be interesting to hear more from you about your own thoughts and observations on this dream after you had it and even today?

3 Likes

@Allison thanks for your interest, and you’re welcome. I will endeavor to get back to this soon (feel free to remind me - very distracted at the moment).

~ArthurG

3 Likes