💛 Golden Light Sutra: The Sovereign King of Sutras, the Sublime Golden Light

Golden Light Sutra

The Sovereign King of Sutras, the Sublime Golden Light

I just recently heard about this Golden Light Sutra.

I am very interested in learning more about it.

Does anyone know any good resources of it online?

Anyone know where to find full text version of it in English?

I found this, but not sure if it is the correct, or full text:

(I read the first 20 pages and was very impreessed)

Here is a reading in English of this text of chapters 1-7:

3 Likes

Thank you for the link. The channel that has that video also has readings up to chapter 21. Here is the playlist:

Also I found this one:

Very cool that Lapis plays an important part in it. One of my favorite stones and I remember you saying you were fond of it also.

1 Like

Wanted to add at the end of the audio reading for chapters 1-7 there was a sentence or two left out. Here is the last quote to complete chapter 7:

“O Venerable Transcendent Victor, in order to protect and care for the bhikshu who expounds the Dharma, we the four great kings, each with five hundred yakshas, will always follow after him.”

Also, the entire audio recording totals ~3.5 hours.

1 Like

Awesome, I was trying to find the other videos, thank you for posting them. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes very cool synchronicity. A few years ago when I bought my first Lapis stone, I also bought Stephen Leberges book on LD. That was the only LD book the new age shop had for sale.

1 Like

Just finished listening to this. Thought it was well worth the time.

One thing I noticed is that they mention dreams a couple times throughout the reading. Especially chapter 18.

Being new to listening to this type of thing I asked AI how one is supposedto work with this type of teaching. Thought I’d share. Hopefully it helps some one else too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Click here

Remembering and practicing the teachings of the Golden Light Sutra is a deep and personal journey that is unique to each practitioner. Here are some broad guidelines to help you start this process:

1. Study the Sutra: The first step is to familiarize yourself with the King of Glorious Sutras, the Sublime Golden Light. Read it slowly, understand its context, and make notes about the significant teachings that resonate with you.

2. Meditation: Spend some quiet time each day reflecting on these teachings. This can be in form of meditation or any quiet contemplation.

3. Expression of Intent: Make a sincere commitment to remember and practice the sutra’s teachings. Express your intent to Samjnaya and the other yaksha generals as the protectors of the teachings in your thoughts, prayers or meditations.

4. Remember the Bodhisattvas and Tathagatas: Actively remember and contemplate on the bodhisattvas, tathagatas, and yaksha generals mentioned in the sutra.

The King of Glorious Sutras, the Sublime Golden Light (Suvarṇaprabhāsa Sūtra), also known as the Golden Light Sutra, is quite a lengthy sutra and mentions numerous bodhisattvas, tathagatas (another term for a Buddha), and yaksha generals. Here are a few of the better-known ones:

1. Bodhisattvas - Bodhisattvas are enlightened beings who have postponed their own nirvana to assist others on their journey to enlightenment. Some bodhisattvas mentioned in the Golden Light Sutra include:
  • Akasagarbha
  • Ksitigarbha
  • Samantabhadra
  • Manjushri
  • Avalokiteshvara
  1. Tathagatas - The term Tathagata is often used to refer to the historical Buddha, Gautama Buddha, but it can also refer to other Buddhas or enlightened beings. Some tathagatas mentioned in the Golden Light Sutra include:
  • Shakyamuni Buddha (Gautama Buddha)
  • Tathagata Glorious One Complete with Lustre
  • Tathagata Glorious Sandalwood Fragrance
  • Tathagata Melodious Ocean of Proclaimed Dharma

Please remember, the given names of Tathagatas, Bodhisattvas, and Yaksha Generals may vary according to different translations of the scripture.

As per Step 4 in remembering and practicing the teachings, it is not just about recalling the names but more about understanding the qualities, characteristics, and teachings associated with these enlightened beings and implementing them in your day-to-day life.

Given the extensive nature of the King of Glorious Sutras, the Sublime Golden Light, it does not provide a full list of all the tathagatas, bodhisattvas, or yaksha generals. However, it’s essential to note that the texts encourage dedicating thoughts and mindfulness towards the recognition and veneration of these enlightened beings to imbibe their qualities within oneself.

1. Yaksha Generals - Yakshas, in Buddhism, are often considered guardian spirits of the natural world. The sutra mentions Samjnaya, the great general of the yakshas, along with the other twenty-eight great generals of the yakshas, as protectors of those who uphold and remember the sutra.

They mention specifically remembering 28 Yakshas. Here is a list of the 28 Yaksha Generals - Click here

• Maha Kaala - Guardian of the East.

• Yakshini - Guardian of the Southeast.

• Purna Maitrayani - Guardian of the South.

• Sarvadarsana - Guardian of the Southwest.

• Manibhadra - Guardian of the West.

• Pancika - Guardian of the Northwest.

• Kubera - Guardian of the North.

• Vaisravana - Guardian of the Northeast.

• Durjaya - Guardian of the Nadir (Downwards).

• Rakshasa - Guardian of the Zenith (Upwards).

• Vikarala - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Vighasa - Guardian of the Corners.

• Ajita - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Aparajita - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Gagana - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Maha Vyala - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Maha Kala - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Maha Kala - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Pancanana - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Rahu - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Saptabuddhya - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Asitanga - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Manonmani - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Yaksharaja - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Bhutadamara - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Lakulisa - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Vaisravana - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

• Virupaksha - Guardian of the Intermediate Directions.

In this way, the veneration of these beings is potentially twofold: one is the recognition and practice of their teachings, and the other is the seeking of their protection and guidance on the path to enlightenment.

Due to cultural, geographical and lineage-based differences across Buddhism globally, practices about how these beings are remembered and invoked can vary. Therefore, while this gives you a guide, it is always useful to seek advice from a teacher within your specific Buddhist tradition to ensure accurate practice.

1. Apply the Teachings: Try to apply the teachings of the sutra in your everyday life. This could be through conscious acts of kindness, compassion, ethical behaviour, and mindfulness.

6.Prayers and Mantras: There are likely specific prayers, mantras or verses associated with the King of Glorious Sutras, the Sublime Golden Light as well as with the bodhisattvas, tathagatas, and yaksha generals named therein. Learn these and recite them regularly as part of your spiritual practice which would help you remember and internalize their teachings.

1. Seek Guidance: If possible, seek guidance from a knowledgeable teacher or mentor who is familiar with the sutra who can provide you with deeper insights and practical advice on how to better incorporate its teachings into your life.

Remember, this is a long process that requires patience, sincerity, and diligence. Every step you take on this path can lead to greater understanding and fulfillment.

2 Likes

thank you so much for sharing this precious piece of gold :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was really helpful! Appreciate you taking the time to do this. Thank you my friend :slightly_smiling_face:

I did not know this. Talk about a heroic act!

I like this.

This is so cool, like Jedi Knights of the spiritual world. :star_struck:

“Guardian of the Intermediate Directions”, this title is repeated several times, I wonder if it is becuase there was a computer glitch in the AI? Or what it means?

2 Likes

Love this!

AMEN.

I need to ask Andrew about this text. I bet he has some really great advice and wisdom to share about it. :slightly_smiling_face:

last Wednesday I went to one of my favorite restaurants in Lisbon - “Os Tibetanos” (The Tibetans) and I saw a new symbol there, on the wall:

Asked what it was about, and they told me it’s the representation of the Kalachakra Teaching.
Today I researched and found this:

If you ever know of another Kalachakra Initiation by the Dalai lama, would you please let me know?
Or if you know anything interesting about this, can you please share it?

Thank you and joyous blessings :dolphin:

2 Likes

Not much came up but here is some information about it.

"The Kalachakra Initiation is an important event in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, often presided over by His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama. The Kalachakra (which translates as “Wheel of Time”) teachings are complex and comprehensive, and they encompass a wide array of topics such as philosophy, meditation, yoga, and astrology.

Below are some interesting facts about the Kalachakra Initiation:

1. A Historical Tradition - The Kalachakra Tantra is thousands of years old. It’s believed to have been taught directly by Buddha Shakyamuni.

2. Massive Gatherings - The initiation often draws thousands of people from all over the world. It’s a major event in the Buddhist calendar.

3. The Mandala - An essential part of the ceremony is the creation of an intricate and beautiful sand mandala, symbolizing the entire universe in its divine form. It’s later dismantled to signify the impermanence of existence.

4. The Kalachakra Tantra - The main text covers various topics such as cosmology, astronomy, mathematics, meditation techniques, and the subtle body’s physical aspects. It’s complex and requires in-depth study.

5. The Kalachakra deity - The deity associated with Kalachakra has multiple arms, faces, and legs, along with several consorts. The deity symbolizes the non- dual nature of enlightenment and is used as a meditative practice.

6. Importance of Initiation - It’s believed that merely being present during the Empowerment (or Initiation) ceremony plants positive seeds in the mind that will one day lead to enlightenment.

7. Frequency - The Dalai Lama has given the Kalachakra Initiation more than 30 times in various parts of the world.

8. Public Teaching - Though many Tibetan tantric teachings are considered secret, the Dalai Lama has chosen to make Kalachakra Initiations public events to promote peace and harmony.

9. Constructing Peace - The Kalachakra Initiation is believed to counteract conflict, aggression, and other societal and individual problems. It is seen as a ceremony that constructs peace.

10. Worldwide Participation - The initiations conducted by the Dalai Lama have taken place in various countries, including India, Tibet, Switzerland, Australia, the USA, and more.

11. Significance of the Name - Kalachakra, or “Wheel of Time,” signifies the cycles of human existence in Buddhist philosophy.

Please note that each Kalachakra Initiation is unique and depends on various factors, including location, timing, and the guidance of the Dalai Lama or the teacher facilitating the initiation. Future events are usually announced by the Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Regarding the question about upcoming Kalachakra Initiations, I’m an artificial intelligence and analyze data in real time. Unfortunately, at this moment, I don’t have the capability to predict or access real-time information about future events. For the most accurate information, I recommend regularly checking the official website of the Dalai Lama."

Have to be honest not familiar with what your asking but hopefully AI understands.

2 Likes

That symbol is really beautiful. I have never heard of this teaching before, will try to do some research this weekend and see what I can find. I am very curious to know what AI has to say about it, @mbready can you ask for us please?

It is amazing how informative AI can be, almost like having a monk teacher, or more like a monk teachers assistant.

2 Likes

Omg @mbready you beat me to the punch, lol

2 Likes

Gotta love when the universe plays synchronicities with us over the internet :smiling_face:
:alien::feather:

2 Likes

wonderful. thank you.

2 Likes

Very cool, glad you mentioned this, it sounds like she had a premonition dream:

Sounds like the dream came before the earth quake.

I thought it was really cool that they were practicing Astrology so long ago, seems like it was held in high regard:

“Learned in writting, numerology, palm reading, and Astrology”

1 Like

I found chapter 16 to be very meaningful, it definitely resonated deeply with me:

Chapter 16
(page 78)

1 Like

I found page 83-84 to be very meaningful too:

“Thus due to ignorance…great aggregate of suffering”:

1 Like

I wondered the same question. I should have looked it up and included it in the initial post. The one that makes most sense to me is that the intermediate directions act as a space of transition, requiring more attention and guardians to assist a practitioner.

"The 28 Yaksha Generals are part of Mahayana Buddhist cosmology and represent specific aspects of enlightenment. They are positioned in the four cardinal directions (North, South, East, and West), and the four intermediate directions (Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, and Southwest).

The reason for multiple guardians in the intermediate directions is not explicitly stated in the texts, but it could be for several reasons.

Firstly, it might reflect the idea of a balanced universe in Buddhism, and the symmetry and order of the world. The intermediate directions could be seen as the “between” spaces where transitional or transformative experiences can occur - thus requiring more guardians to provide guidance and protection.

Secondly, the intermediate directions can also represent more subtle aspects of the spiritual path, which might require a diversity of guardians to manage. Each of the 28 Yaksha Generals has a unique ability or power that aids the practitioner on their path to enlightenment, and multiple guardians allow for a greater range of those abilities.

Lastly, the use of multiple guardians might also be due to cultural influences. The concept of the Yaksha Generals originated in India and evolved in Chinese Buddhism. The incorporation of local deities and spirits into Buddhism as protectors or guardians is common in Buddhist cultures, reflecting a syncretic blending of Buddhist teachings with local beliefs. It is possible that multiple guardians in the intermediate directions were incorporated into the Yaksha Generals as a way to acknowledge and include these various indigenous spiritual beings.

In addition, the exact number and names of the Yaksha Generals can vary between different Buddhist traditions and texts. Some lists include more than 28 Yaksha Generals, or name different beings as the guardians of the directions. This also suggests that the arrangement and number of the Yaksha Generals may have been influenced by cultural, historical, and doctrinal factors that varied between different Buddhist communities."

I went one step further and was curious what kind of transitions would take place within these intermediate directions and this was the reply:

"In the Buddhist cosmological map, the intermediate directions often symbolize liminal or transitional spaces. These are the ‘in-between’ directions - not quite north, south, east, or west but somewhere in between.

In spiritual cultivation, these transitional spaces could represent a variety of potential transformations by serving as points of change or moments of insight on the practitioner’s path.

For example, they may represent the spiritual growth a practitioner undergoes as they navigate their path toward enlightenment, moving from ignorance to wisdom, from attachment to non-attachment, or from suffering to liberation.

They could also symbolize the intermediate stages in the process of meditation or mindfulness, where the practitioner moves from an initial state of confusion or distraction to a space of increased focus and awareness.

In addition, they might signify transitions between different states of consciousness or levels of reality in Buddhist cosmology, from the more mundane levels of existence to the sublime realms of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

In all these senses, the guardians of these directions play a crucial role in providing protection, guidance, and support to practitioners as they navigate their spiritual journey through these transformative spaces."

1 Like

This makes the most sense to me.

I wonder if some of them are gauardians of inner world directions, like traveling through the 6 different Bardos, or to subtler deeper states of meditation?

1 Like

Dear Nighthawk
This sutra has a special place among Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s students. He was committed to spreading this sutra widely. One of his most senior students has written about the impact of distributing a copy of this sutra to every household in Darkhan, Mongolia, where I lived for two years. I will try to find the article for you.
In the meantime here is a website with extensive information about this sutra.

2 Likes