đŸŽ” Music That Moves You

One of the greatest singers you’ve never heard of, Ivan Rebroff—The Gypsy Drinking Song. No idea what the words mean, he’s German, the lyrics are Russian but the voice is pure music.

@_Barry
Jajaja, a tribute to just “getting down” with friends, shared merging in euphoria

2 Likes

Art and music reach deep into our conscious and unconscious minds. What can be better than sitting around the campfire, singing songs, listening to music and sharing? I often wake up with a song in my mind and wonder if and how it has affected my dreams.

1 Like

You can also think of a song that pops up in one’s mind as part of the dreaming process that is going on 24/7. The Mind is always dreaming whether awake or asleep, and communicating deeper meanings and messages, whether through songs, synchronicities, things that catch your eyes or ears, or through dreams. The goal I strive towards is 24/7 lucid dreaming, although I’m still a long ways from being that awake all of the time.

1 Like

Here’s the Jai Uttal Ganesh song that MC Yogi sampled:

Jai Uttal was part of the original group of young people that followed Ram Dass to India to meet his guru Neem Karoli Baba. He ended up staying in India for a time and immersing himself in the Kirtan devotional Bhakti yoga tradition. Krishna Das is another one who took this path following Ram Dass.

2 Likes

Here’s a song that started with a recurring dream. Canadian singer-songwriter Bruce Cockburn had dreams about lions showing up at his door and wrote this song about it. It was his greatest hit.

Had another dream about lions at the door
but it weren’t as frightening as it were before
now I’m thinkin’ about eternity
Some kind of ecstasy’s got a hold on me
and I’m wondering where the lions are.

2 Likes

Indeed! I like another song about Ganesh’s origin from M.C. Yogi, “Son of Shiva”

2 Likes

Amazing! So good, really liked the violen, especially in the intro.

1 Like

I have actually never watched the show before, will see if I can find the episode on Van Gogh. His painting Starry night over the Rhone is one of my favorite works of art:

“This spot proved ideal for Van Gogh, as he had grown increasingly interested in the effects of light—particularly, the artificial illumination of gas lamps—at night. To evoke the movement of the stars’ energetic twinkling and glimmering reflections, he employed his characteristically energetic brushstrokes.”

Might have been a Buddhist in a past life

3 Likes

Yeah it is, can hit the low notes better than most

Amen

1 Like

Might be a bit far-out for you but what the heck!

1 Like

So true. Both I think communicate something deeper that often words alone can not do.

I have had a few very memorable dreams where music was playing, sometimes songs I had never heard before, but still very pleasing, only to forget them by the time I am awake.

Great point. When I wake and a song sticks with me from dream, it can take me a few hours of thoughtful detective work to figure out wehre it came from.

In HS, had a pleasant dream, with the song at the 3min mark of this movie (the video is really violent, so be forewarned), the dream was nothing like the video, Quintin’s got a pretty good ear:

Another song from the movie:

The visuals are so good, cinematic gold:

1 Like

@_Barry

" There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.

Vincent van Gogh"

Love that line!

Will check it out, thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ever see Kubo and the Two Strings? One of the best! Must stay for the credits, as well.

Note: BTW, Doctor Who is Tibetan Buddhist-like, sort of a Tulku, in that he transforms/reincarnates into a new doctor with a different body and personality but is the same Doctor. The Doctor in this episode is the 11th. Too involved to go into, you have to be there.

1 Like

Van Gogh paintings come to life through animation:

Check out the film “Loving Vincent” : The story of Van Gogh filmed in live action and then painted over frame by frame with oil paint in his style of painting:

The whole film is available to rent or buy on youtube.

2 Likes
1 Like

Love the intro to this one, A++, but I think it kinda faulters on the refrain, then gets good again when old dominion starts up:

I cant caitlyn smith old dominion

1 Like

@mbready shared this one with me, really love meditating to it, and joining along:

1 Like

@fenwizard I saw Kubo a few years ago and loved it, interesting that @_Barry also recommended me to watch it last year, great minds think alike

Was wondering how the images were created for that movie, found this clip, pretty cool:

The Van Gogh clips made my jaw drop, really amazing. Have not checked out the movie yet, but looking forward to watching it.

2 Likes

More Heart Sutra. Here’s a great version by Wah!
In the background you can hear some great overtone singing. This is a method of singing more than one note simultaneously by amplifying hidden overtones in the voice by working with the shape of the mouth and throat. The high flute-like tones that you hear are vocal overtones. This is from her album Savasana 2. The whole album is amazing! Savasana 1 is great as well.

Wah! was one of the first singers to popularize kirtan songs (devotional mantra chanting). Back in the 80’s she left the Ashram that she was living in and started singing kirtan in L.A. Clubs, even opening for Courtney Love! I’ve seen her perform live. She plays electric bass while she sings.

Over 3 hours of Heart Sutra chanting by a Japanese Zen monk with beautiful scenery. Great to have on in the background during the day or put it on at night to carry you into dreamland.

3 Likes