đŸŽ” Music That Moves You

A Western overtone singer, Nestor Kornblum singing with some traditional Tibetan monks doing traditional Tibetan overtone chanting. You can hear rich overtones (multiple tones at harmonic frequencies) in their changing;

Tuva is a region of Russia bordering Mongolia. The people there are a horse herding culture who practice a mix of Tibetan Buddhism and their own Native Shamanism. They are also masters of their own style of overtone singing. (There is a similar style in Mongolia). Huun Huur Tu are amazing performers of this type of singing multiple tones simultaneously:

David Hykes and the Harmonic Choir: this is all done with the human voice with no electronic distortion or synthesizers. It’s all done with harmonic overtones. Reminds me of a Galactic Choir of Singing Stars:

Sound healer and overtone singer, Jonathan Goldman, demonstrates the overtones in the Hebrew Divine Name “Yahweh.” You can hear a descending and then ascending overtone sequence when the Divine Name is sung in such a way that the overtones are amplified:

2 Likes

Her voice is heavenly, very angelic

“and you are me”

1 Like

Love this movie trailer, never watched the show wondering if it was any good? The song is pretty unique, by itself kind of chaotic, but edited in the trailer is very beautiful:

Normal People Trailer

Great title:

The Fountain of Consciousnes

1 Like

@fenwizard

The monks chanting is so good, and so hypnotic!

The only beef I have with it is that one rogue monk doing a random moan/ shout sporadically, like he keeps stubing hos toe, lol! Wish the sound team could have edited it out :upside_down_face: Or maybe that is thrown in as a test to see how impervious ones meditation is to random noise?

Hmmm
 I didn’t initially notice that but went back and listened and I think I know what you’re referring to. I suspect that it’s part of this chanting tradition but not sure.

1 Like

Prefer Cash’s version, but over the years the NIN version has grown on me, still really hate the cacophony at the end though:

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Listened to this the other day and was wondering what the meaning of the last lines of the song meant. Did a google search and found this post in a forum that I think is spot on:

"Everyone, this is a song about regret and remorse about the damage and things he did throughout his life that he wish he could take back.

When he says, ‘I would keep myself’, he’s saying that if he could do it all over again he wouldn’t lose who he was, the goodness in him, he wouldn’t change a thing except for that. And he wouldn’t have hurt all the people that he did."

I think years ago when Johnnys version came out I came to the same conclusion of the poster by negating the "keep myself line, to decipher the meaning. Interesting how I forgot this. :upside_down_face:

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt Lyrics Video

2 Likes

All I See Is You

2 Likes

For Johnny Cash I like this one, he mentions my neighbor town, Chicopee, MA

1 Like

Trusha Adeshara, an amazing classical Indian singer sings “Suddhosi Buddhosi”, a song sung by an enlightend mother to her son. Make sure the English subtitles are turned on. Powerful!

1 Like

I love Cash’s last album. Soulful!

2 Likes

John McLoughlin, the great jazz-rock guitarist, famous for his “Mahavishnu Orchestra” project of the 60’s & 70’s, is here with his other project, Shakti, with Indian tabla player Zakir Hussein and a brilliant young Indian electric mandolin player. McLoughlin is a serious student of Classical Indian music:

The current incarnation of Shakti will be touring in September, along with the extraordinary banjo player, Bela Fleck:

Possibly coming to a city near you!

2 Likes

Krishna Das offered this tune to Andrew during his interview a couple of years ago. Andrew responded with playing a classical tune for his guest. It was an excellent dialogue, one of Andrew’s best, and I put this Kirtan on my iPhone music playlist.

2 Likes

Listened to this version of Hare Krishna for hours in the '60s (hour long). Visited Krishna’s birthplace in India a few years ago. He was born in a jail cell in Mathura, on the road to the modern Taj Mahal, and there are several Krishna temples in the city, though all but one closed from 2-5 pm daily.

2 Likes

I love Krishna Das! I’ve been in Kirtan with him a number of times. He was part of that group of young hippies who followed Ram Dass to India to meet his guru Neem Karoli Baba. Jai Uttal was also part of that group.

2 Likes

My favorite Eagles song:

Neil Diamonds’s best:

If you’ve never heard “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” by Meatloaf, you’ll be amazed. (Watch it on YouTube to see the lyrics)

2 Likes

@_Barry had not heard that Niel Diamond song before, I really liked it.

This one is my favorite song of his, but I dont know much of his work:

Neil Diamond - Forever in Blue Jeans

1 Like

I always liked Jackson Browne’s version of “Take it Easy”. He’s the guy who wrote it. Here’s a recent country fried version on Austin City Limits"

2 Likes

Here’s the new generation of Krishna Devotees. The Kirtaniyas are young people who were raised in the Krishna Consciousness movement and are carrying on the tradition of Krishna Kirtan. Here they are at Bhakti Fest: KIRTANIYAS - Radha Ramana & Krsna Jinka Nām hai - LIVE at Bhakti Fest 2016 - YouTube

Bhakti Fest is happening again in September in the Joshua Tree Desert in California. I plan to be there. 3 days of top name kirtan performers, yoga and meditation teachers.

2 Likes

This Michael Jackson song always makes me cry. It’s so beautifully written and shows how we can use our inherent nature of love to heal the lives of those around us and our world.

3 Likes