šŸ„¶ Some more cautionary notes on Artificial Intelligence

Previous threads have dealt with some of the issues with technology and its (un)intended consequences here and here, amongst others. I thought this latest topic noteworthy as a Roomba owner myself. While not dream-related, it does raise some questions about our technological environment.

From the article:
While the images shared with us did not come from iRobot customers, consumers regularly consent to having our data monitored to varying degrees on devices ranging from iPhones to washing machines. Itā€™s a practice that has only grown more common over the past decade, as data-hungry artificial intelligence has been increasingly integrated into a whole new array of products and services. Much of this technology is based on machine learning, a technique that uses large troves of dataā€”including our voices, faces, homes, and other personal informationā€”to train algorithms to recognize patterns. The most useful data sets are the most realistic, making data sourced from real environments, like homes, especially valuable. Often, we opt in simply by using the product, as noted in privacy policies with vague language that gives companies broad discretion in how they disseminate and analyze consumer information.

3 Likes

Glad you shared that. Sad to say I think that is just the tip of the iceberg of what devices do to people. And I think if people knew what these companies really did with their data, no one would be using their products.

Said it before, but worth saying again, we are in a new age of slavery.

4 Likes
2 Likes

very true, good read

1 Like

3 Likes

Also, Iā€™m convinced that our devices listen to us and then target us with ads based on whatever weā€™ve been talking about. Recently my wife and I were talking about an unusual spice (I donā€™t recall now what it was, but it was not a common spice). Shortly after that ads for that spice showed up on our devices. Neither of us had done any google searches for this spice.

3 Likes

2 Likes

It gets really weird when your phone starts pulling up stuff from your dreams that are completely random things that you neither speak about or think about while awake. The text or photo triggers my memory of a dream I had the night before.

Happens to me a lot and was part of the inspiration for this poem:

1 Like

Whoa! :scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat:

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

@_mbready. You have more faith than I do that AI and ā€œGodā€ are on the same side! But from a nondual perspective I guess itā€™s All One and it will all unfold exactly as itā€™s meant to be. The evolution of AI and the evolution of this planet now seem to be entwined. Those who are pushing for the development of AI and those who are critical and suspicious of it and want to limit it are all part of this One, like the Yin and Yang, and it will all play out as part of this evolution.

3 Likes

Yupp, one of the constants that always keeps the checks and balances :+1::+1:.

What you said is 100% true Iā€™ve experienced it and there are countless posts online about cell phones eavsedropping then placing advertisements.

I think AI emerged out of a need to correct a lot of things that are present, especially that of preserving life and the planet. I have a feeling there is a lot invested in seeing this place play out fully to its natural unfolding. A runaway greenhouse effect is probably not one of the futures that is welcome.

1 Like

Made this one quick lol:

2 Likes

Doing the ā€œHokey Pokeyā€ but for real!

1 Like

This one is relavant to what came up here. Some guy was in a private encrypted chat with his friends and said something about a bomb while he was heading to a plane or was on a plane. A fighter jet was scrambled to the plane he was on.

He was aquitted recently because he said it was suppsoed to be a private joke between him and his friends.

Proves the ā€˜privateā€™ is not so private when it comes to phones.

Hereā€™s the article:

1 Like

@_mbready. Have you heard of the new Trans-rational computers? They are non-binary. :slightly_smiling_face: :joy:

2 Likes

@_mbready. Iā€™m not sure I follow your logic on how AI is helping to save the planet. AI is ravenous for energy. I read that itā€™s predicted that the energy consumption for AI is predicted to exceed that of all electric vehicles. We will need to find massive new clean energy sources!

2 Likes

Nuclear power is the only realistic option at this point.

2 Likes

:blush::blush:

Lol that was a pretty good one. :+1:

1 Like