☀ Astrology & (Astronomy)

:sunny: :new_moon_with_face: :star: :crescent_moon: :waxing_crescent_moon: :first_quarter_moon: :waxing_gibbous_moon: :full_moon: :waning_gibbous_moon: :last_quarter_moon: :waning_crescent_moon: :sparkles:

I have been meaning to post about this topic for over a year, but I have been very hesitant and reluctant to do so. Mostly becuase of the lack of interest, and dealing with skeptics and their critcisms. (The vast majority of my life I was a skeptic, and a non believer). But when I look back at my life what made me dive deeper intomthe spiritual path, Astrology was it. It made me realize that there are monumnetal forces at play that are invisible and drastically influence personality and human interactions.

If you have never done a birth chart for yourself before, these two sites do a pretty good job in showing you where the planets were at your time of birth:

(the location feature on this one is glitchy, so if you cant get it exact, find the closest town or city)

This one will paint a 2D picture for you, and give a decent explanation:

Most horoscopes you see in the papers only deal with your sun sign. If you are oblivious to where your moon sign is, or Mars, or Saturn, you will never get the full perspective of the Egoic personality.

Its a form of cosmic prejudice, but this prejudice has withstood the test of time, and like most great religions that have done so, it would be foolish to disregard their value withipout doing a deep dive.

I dont know how old the earliest zodiac depictions are, I have read over 2,000 years old. But I believe it is far older. The cave artwork at Lascaux & Chauvet dipects about (25%-33%) of the animals in the zodiac (Bulls, horses, Lions, Man):

(The depiction of a man with a bird I think is showing a spirtual leader dreaming)

While there is really no hard evidence to link these depictions to the zodiac, I think it does illustrate our ancestors captivation with and connection to these animals for over 15,000 years!!!

Astrology is a passion of mine. I dont claim to be an expert by any means, but if you are interested in learning more about it, or getting insight on your birth chart, or specific planetary placements, I would be more than happy to help.

Andrew has often talked about how 95%-99% of our behaviors are habits, and that calls into auestion the concept of free will. I think understanding the ‘Elemental’ make up of ones ego, really helps understand these behaviors that eventually lead to unconscious habits.

So put another way, understanding the ‘elemental’ make up of an ego, is a very powerful way to help fascilitate ego death, or rising about the ego in a more purified form.

@_Barry showed me this fantastic video on Tibetan Astrology, (which I know nothing about), but I was shocked on how its explanation of the elements was almost Identtical to how Western Astrology interprets them, especially when it comes to personality:

I am very interested in learning about Tibetan Astrology, so I you have resources or knowledge you would like to share, I am all ears :star_struck: One of my favorite memories with a monk, was meeting him in a park at random, and telling him what planets could be viewed in the sky, and at what times, and watching how his eyes lit up, even though the language barrior made communication difficult.

" The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed." C. Jung

Its so fascinating to see this take place from an astrological perspective. How Fire and Water typically are disharmonious combinations, as are Wind and Earth. Its been said that Carl Jung did a birth chart on all of his patients. I think this is the definition of “Skillful Means”, finding the best way to realate material and get a message accross.

My orginal title for this was going to be ASTROLOGY & ASTRONOMY, but in the minds of the ancient star gazers, the two disciplines were not separate, but One.

The next time you ask that cute girl at the bar:
“Whats your [sun] sign?”

Make sure you follow up with:
“Whats your Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn signs???”
:wink: :upside_down_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck: :wink: :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :wink:

4 Likes

Intriguing information. My wife enjoys astrology while I am more of a sporadic venturer. Particularly during specific events in my life that are planned, after the date is set I often look if there is any cosmic events that align with them.

Before your post, my wife and I were discussing that my almost completely faded tattoo (concelead about 95% now) was inked on a day when the moon was at its apogee, the point in its orbit farthest from Earth. Astrologically, this alignment is believed to amplify masculine energies.

What led us to this conversation is an interesting story. There’s a male reiki practitioner that my wife met at her job (she specializes in back and neck pain). From what my wife shared, it seems he has been refraining from taking on female clients for seven years from the date of his divorce.

The irony doesn’t escape me, that reason aligns with why I have been considering switching from my current reiki practitioner. While my existing reiki guide is deeply rooted in energies of love – which I believe is crucial – I feel reluctant to disturb her energy field as I recognize the energy field in my presence shifting. Notably, there has been a change in my dream-space and waking relationship recently, aligning more towards the masculine energies. Moreover, my interaction with Tim and @NightHawk999 over the phone further stimulated my considerations.

When I suggested this to my wife, she found it concerning because this potential new practitioner didn’t cater to women, which was ultimately a red flag to her. But rather than causing concern for me, this sparked my curiosity further, as it was in perfect alignment with my very reason for considering a practitioner switch in the first place.

I plan to arrange a meeting with him to further explore this particular path.

The story is a little off topic but it began with astronomy and your post synchronized with the conversation I had with my wife earlier so I wanted to share. Also, my wife happily read the post, hopefully she was able to get some information that will help on her journey.

Enjoyed the post :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

How deep has she dipped her toes?

Women, from my experience, are far more perceptive about this kind of stuff. I think in heneral theynare much more in tune with their intutions, peoples energies, peoples inner workings, and the behaviors of those around them.

Very interesting insight!

You were also very close to the Summer Solstice, (longest day/ week of the year).

As well as about 2 weeks away from when the sun hit its Aphelion (around july 6th).

If you list the most painful experiences of people’s lives, divorce has got to be very close to the top of the list, and for some its the most painful by far.

I dont think giving him a try and seeing whats up, would hurt. Due diligence to search for red flags might be wise, if hes not taking on women because of misogyny, I would not book a second session. If he is not taking them on because of heart break or heart ache, or some other legitimate reason, then thats a different story.

Im glad you shared, most people dont know what a lunar apogee or Aphelion is. Your gifts with the nocturnal meditations may be advice that plants the seed to help him get over his (potential) mental blocks on women.

2 Likes

Mark your calendars, especially for the 2024 event April 8th:

https://eclipse.aas.org/eclipse-america-2023-2024

Annular Solar Eclipses are dangerous to view with the naked eyes, and can burn your corneas, make sure you got protective glasses.

3 Likes

For the deep divers, highly recomend this weekly insight:

" The FULL MOON occurs on Wednesday, August 30th, 2023, at 9:35 PM EDT.

On Wednesday night, a Full Moon occurs when the Sun in Virgo forms an opposition to the Moon in Pisces. The Full Moon is a time of culmination and the promise of fulfillment of what we started at the New Moon. It is an emotional time – a time of romance, fertilization, and relationships.

This lunation occurs along the Virgo-Pisces polarity, which is the service axis. This axis deals with the balance between day-to-day functions and routines, physical health, and the need for order (Virgo) and vision, spiritual health, disorder, and the infinite (Pisces).

Virgo rules our personal set of tools and techniques that we use to deal with day-to-day life, while Pisces rules the tools that we use to deal with our spirituality.

The key to balance lies in identifying and expressing our spiritual needs while maintaining order in our everyday lives.

Neglecting either end of the axis will surely backfire–we would either be living in chaos or in excessive order.

The Moon is conjunct Saturn around the time of this Full Moon, suggesting a serious, sober look at our emotions. There may be a tough decision or choice, reality check, or we may feel some pressure to make changes. Watch for fear-driven moves. Instead, aim to strengthen and safeguard."

2 Likes

" The LAST QUARTER MOON occurs on Wednesday, September 6th, 2023, at 6:21 PM EDT.

On Wednesday, the Last Quarter Moon occurs as the Sun in Virgo forms a square to the Moon in Gemini. The Last Quarter Moon phase points to a crisis of consciousness.

After basking in the awareness symbolized by the full light of the Moon at the time of last week’s Full Moon, we disperse our knowledge, coming to a point when we need to sort out what works for us–and what doesn’t. This is in preparation for next week’s New Moon when something new is born once again.

This is not the best time to start a major project, as the decreasing light of the Moon symbolizes descent into unconsciousness. It’s time to begin finishing up the details of that which was conceived at the last New Moon. We might consider revelations we may have had in the last week and what they mean for us. Next steps may be clearer."

2 Likes

The NEW MOON occurs on Thursday, September 14th, 2023, at 9:40 PM EDT.

On Thursday, the New Moon occurs as the Moon aligns with the Sun in the sign of Virgo.

A time of new beginnings, this New Moon presents an excellent opportunity for us to formulate some goals regarding “all things Virgo.” We’d do well to concentrate on new ways to get our day-to-day life organized. We might think about the keywords for this particular and earthy sign — such things as analytical, intelligent, reserved, critical, helpful, conscientious — and consider ways to enhance, develop, or incorporate these traits into our personalities.

Please note that Virgo is found somewhere in every person’s chart, and these are the areas of our lives most affected now.

The New Moon in Virgo is an excellent time to commit to personal goals that express the positive energies of the sign of the Virgin. These include:

• building our powers of healthy, constructive discrimination;
  • rolling up our sleeves and getting down to some serious work;
  • beginning a new project that requires attention to details;
  • making lists, actively ticking off completed activities, and taking pride in our “little” accomplishments;
  • starting a health regime, researching nutrition and nourishment, and paying attention to our diet;
  • setting up specific routines that will help us manage our lives in constructive and mindful ways;
  • and handling the finer details of our day-to-day life in an organized, step-by-step fashion so that we can free our minds of clutter.

We’re ready to make something special of our work, routines, or tasks. It’s a powerful time to transform our jobs, health, self-care programs, and habits. We’re filled with innovative, inventive, and unusual ideas. However, it’s an impulsive time and perhaps an unclear period (Virgo’s ruler, Mercury, is retrograde and approaching its station, and the New Moon is opposite Neptune), and it’s important not to jump into something too quickly. Fortunately, this New Moon harmonizes with Uranus, boosting our spirit for progress.

3 Likes

Adding context:

In the Tibetan calendar, The New Moon is Sakyamuni Buddha Day. In Kathmandu, multitudes of people circumnavigate (Kora) Boudhanath as merit for doing good deeds is increased greatly on this day. The following day is the first day of the next Tibetan month. On the tenth day of the month, you have Guru Rinpoche Day, also a great day for gaining merit in honoring Padmasambhava ,Tibet’s great “second Buddha,” conqueror of demons and bringer of Buddhism to Tibet. The full moon in the Tibetan calendar honors Amita Buddha, also a day for increased merit and serving others.

3 Likes

Appreciate you letting me know this. Do you know what are the top 3 holy days on the Tibetan (or Buddhist’s) calendar?

Andrew said in the last PTD book club meeting that “Barry is a ROCKSTAR”

I agree 100% :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

https://www.science.org/content/article/milky-way-more-warped-astronomers-thought

Sacred Science stuff :innocent:

1 Like

Shes gorgeous!

2 Likes

We use this app on the iPhone. Not sure about the three top ones, as the paranirvana (anniversary of passing) of various enlightened beings are celebrated by their followers and others who knew or honored them. Each Tibetan month has several important observational days, not just the three I mentioned. Dakini Day is big, as is a couple of others my wife always springs upon me. Observance of special days, circumstances, events, places and phenomena can also be important for generating merit on the path, or so I’ve been told, and maybe experienced.

3 Likes

Wednesday, September 13 is Dharma Protectors Day and Thursday is the New Moon, honoring Buddha Shakyamuni, both auspicious days.

3 Likes

Wanted to add some information for those who are not familiar with this day (myself included) and a list of what can be done to honor this day:

"Dharma Protectors Day is a Buddhist event observed to honor and show gratitude to the Dharma Protectors, powerful and wrathful deities who safeguard the Buddhist teachings (Dharma) and its practitioners. These entities are enlisted to combat the hindrances and obstacles that may deviate practitioners from the path of enlightenment.

Here are some common activities Buddhist practitioners might do to honor Dharma Protectors Day:

1. Offerings: Devotees can make offerings of food, drink, incense, and other items to the Dharma Protectors. These offerings are seen as gestures of respect and devotion.

2. Recitation of Mantras and Sutras: Practitioners could spend time reciting specific mantras and sutras associated with Dharma Protectors in order to connect with these powerful beings and seek their protection.

The specific mantras or sutras could vary depending on the Dharma Protector being venerated and the particular Buddhist tradition someone is following. Here are a few examples:

1. For Dorje Shugden, a popular Dharma Protector in Tibetan Buddhism, practitioners often chant: “OM VAJRA WIKI WITRANA SOHA.”

2. For the Dharma Protector Mahakala, the mantra might be: “OM SHRI MAHAKALA HUM PHAT.”

3. For the Dharma Protector Palden Lhamo, the mantra could be: “JO RAMO JO RAMO JO JO RAMO TUNJO KALA RACHEN MO DEI PA ZA LOCHO MEI CHING JO ZHI LI DU NEI PEMA THOE KYI LA MAR SENG KAYE SHO.”

4. The Shurangama Mantra, found in the Shurangama Sutra, is considered a powerful mantra for protection within Chinese Mahayana Buddhism.

5. Sutra of Golden Light is another protective sutra popular within the Tibetan tradition.

Remember that mantras and sutras should ideally be learned from a qualified teacher, who can also explain the specific methods and visualizations used in each practice. Always be respectful and considerate of the cultural and spiritual significance these sacred texts hold, and follow appropriate guidelines when practicing.

1. Meditation: This practice helps individuals clear their minds, making them more receptive to the guidance of the Dharma Protectors.

2. Dharma Protector Puja: Participating in rituals that specifically honor and invoke Dharma Protectors can help cultivate a strong, direct relationship with these deities.

3. Acts of Kindness and Compassion: These acts align with the fundamental Buddhist principles that Dharma Protectors guard, such as righteous living, self-discipline, kindness, and compassion. By putting these principles into action, practitioners honor the protectors.

4. Fasting or Observance of Sila (ethical conduct): This practice of self-restraint can be a form of offering to the Dharma Protectors and a way of purifying oneself.

5. Dharma Study: Studying Buddhist teachings not only honors the Dharma Protectors, but also deepens the practitioners’ understanding and practice of Dharma.

Remember that the specifics of how to observe this day may vary based on different traditions. It’s suggested to follow the guidance of a trusted teacher or lineage."

3 Likes

Awsome thank you for letting me know this. I will have to start checking the monthly calendar, and do some due diligence. :slightly_smiling_face:

OMFG @_Barry , this morning I had my first lucid dream of the summer, I had been going through a dry spell for the past few months since early spring. I wonder if it had anything to do with Dharma Protectors Days or the new moon or BOTH??? All signs point to yes… Im not one to believe it was just a coincidence…

Thank you for telling me this :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

3 Likes

So Cool, really glad you shared this!

Going to look these up on youtube.

3 Likes

Crazy, I had an intuition to fast today, and not eat anything. Ended up eating 1 meal (dinner) which was stupid, because I wasnt even hungry. :upside_down_face: :laughing: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

" About the Sutra

“The most beneficial thing to have peace and to stop the wars is recitation of the Golden Light Sutra. This is the most beneficial thing to bring peace, everyone should try to do this, no matter how busy they are, even to recite one or two pages, even a few lines. When you read the Golden Light Sutra you also read the ‘mantra without attachment’ this practice is within the text. The benefits of reciting just this mantra: Even all the material possessions, all the human wealth, especially all the wealth of the deva realms (asura’s and sura’s) can not compare to the value of this mantra. It is nothing compared to this mantra. You collect limitless skies of benefit and merit by even just reciting one word of this mantra. So by reciting the whole text is unbelievably beneficial, one collects extensive merits, liberates numberless sentient beings from the oceans of suffering and brings them to enlightenment.” – Lama Zopa Rinpoche
"

Here is an audio of it:

Here is a text version:

1 Like

I wonder what this line means?:

“Troubled by stars, planetary bodies…”

2 Likes

Not sure, but when ever I run into a question like this I run it through AI to see if it gives me any ideas or points me in thebright direction.

"This quote seems to come from a Buddhist sutra, or scripture, and it is conveying spiritual advice for those who are experiencing hardship, grief, fatigue or fear. The message encourages individuals to cleanse themselves physically (bathe well and wear clean clothes), which symbolically represents purification of the mind and soul as well.

“Troubled by stars, planetary bodies and fierce demonic spirits” and “Excruciating nightmares following grief and fatigue” metaphorically describe different forms of personal suffering and distress that an individual might be experiencing.

This passage then recommends listening to “this sublime sutra” which would imply gaining wisdom from the Buddhist teachings enclosed within that scripture. Listening to the sutra is expected to provide comfort, guidance or solutions to the described distress.

“Should those with virtuous intent and pure mind adorn themselves well in clean garments, Then listen to this sutra on the profound” suggests that in order for the teachings to be most effective, the listener needs to approach them with clear and noble intentions. The “profound” is referring to deeper, spiritual truths about life and existence, which is the “domain of buddhas’ experience”.

Overall, the passage conveys the belief in the healing and impacting power of Buddhist scriptures especially when approached with a clean body, a pure mind and noble intentions."

Hopefully that helps :v:

2 Likes