Infinite space

Hope you all enjoy this video as much as I did. (not sure if you caught the very beginning, where the viewer is looking at their hands…)

I know one of the big topics of meditation is to meditate on infinite space, curious to know what types of meditations members have had on this. What types of visualization techniques do you use? What questions do you ask?

The Kurzgesagt group is pretty liberally biased, but their artwork and many of their vids are masterpieces.

3 Likes

I felt overwhelmed, maybe a bit too much for my old brain.

1 Like

not at all, I got to believe that the concept of infinite space turns even the brightest minds at NASA into mush upon deep contemplation. Newton had to invent a new branch of mathematics just to describe the ‘simple’ orbits of the planets in our system.

its mind-blowing stuff.

1 Like

It’s like trying to eat a whole buffet meal in a single gulp. Been there, done that, didn’t work.

1 Like

I just got another interesting Link about Infinite space in my E-Mail today:
The Lonely Planet (mailchi.mp)
It’s about why consciousness is first.

2 Likes

The source of everything in the known Universe, Consciousness itself!

Seem like this idea is becoming more mainstream in the right way. Soon to be a major motion picture . . .

3 Likes

@Marlise

Really great article, thank you for posting that.

Loved this quote:

Space is not empty, it is the WOMB, [and the tomb] for the existence and impermanence of everything

3 Likes

This video reminds me of the powers of 10 video that came out in the late 70s. Gives a similar feeling but from a different perspective.

When I come across this kinda stuff this part of one of George Carlin’s skits pop into my head… in this case I swap little to big :smiling_face:.

The author did some great artwork to pull off the overall effect.

3 Likes

I remember seeing The Powers of Ten as a featurette at the NY World’s Fair in 1964, or maybe it was at Expo '67 in Montreal. It was later updated and reissued over a decade later. Heady stuff. Sure could use George Carlin today!

2 Likes

Loved that video. I think he is spot on about the plastic ‘problem’. For most people, they don’t really care about what plastic is doing to the environment, or ‘the planet’, they just don’t like seeing plastic on the sides of roads or washed up on their private beaches. Its an unsightly personal inconvenience to them, not an existential problem.

I am sickened though by the toxic chemicals we dump (China dumps) into our oceans.

1 Like

Concerning plastic in our seas, check out Seaspiricy, one of the movies we watched in our now defunct-Saturday Night Club Movie night.

2 Likes

My browser was not able to open the link.

will try to find that video on youtube

Just go to Netflix, it’s still available there. Way better than I thought it would be.

1 Like

Please don’t make fun of me, but I don’t have Netflix any more. I canceled my subscription there so I could save up and become a member here.
:slightly_smiling_face:

I think it was a wise decision

1 Like

I just ride on the back of my daughter’s subscription. Given my druthers. I’d drop it as well. We don’t even have broadcast TV service anymore.

1 Like