Wet behind the ears, saying hi from Crystal Palace, London UK

Sure. Light’s shadow is darkness, and vice versa. The contrast is what brings forth the ‘existance’ of the 2.

Pain is a more jam packed word, but the same logic follows.

2 Likes

How about viewing all in equanimity?

1 Like

Can you elaborate… ?

no highs and lows, all have one taste.

1 Like

Yes the equanimity is the cure to both the pains and pleasures of the world. But I dont believe it stops ones ability to descriminate between the two, its power is in it liberates the minds attachments or aversions to the two. Its my understanding that thoughts and sensations are not the problem, its the minds relationship to them that causes a great deal of suffering.

2 Likes

Yeah, but the values such as wins, losses, good, bad become valueless so in a way it instantiates what Krishnamurti’s secret was.

2 Likes

Love that quote, appreciate you sharing it.

I saw E. T. speak in a video before, they were sitting on a park bench in winter, trying to explain this concept to a guy. Saying something like there is a sifference between thinking its “bloody cold oitside” and a detached thought of its just “cold”, with no negative connotations.

Very powerful teaching.

2 Likes

Not sure I agree with the validity of that claim fully, but I think I undertand the point you are making.

Murdering children is not a valueless act in my opinion, I believe that holds monumental karmic weight, and is very bad.

I love the phrase “divorcing yourself from outcomes”, I think that is more in line with the quote, and with the point you are making.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it is fitting for this conversation:

"
The Lion’s Roar

We typically think of our happiness as dependent on good things happening

Posted June

Source: Patricio Crooker

We typically think of our [happiness] as dependent on certain good things happening. In the Buddhist tradition, the word sukha is used to describe the deepest type of happiness that is independent of what is happening. It has to do with a kind of faith, a kind of trust that our heart can be with whatever comes our way. It gives us a [confidence] that is sometimes described as the lion’s roar. It’s the confidence that allows us to say, “No matter what life presents me, I can work with it.” When that confidence is there, we take incredible joy in the moments of our lives. We are free to live life fully rather than resist and back off from a threat we perceive to be around the corner.

For most of us, especially when our conditioning is strong, we spend many moments tensing against what’s about to happen. There is a sense that something is going to be too much to handle or that what is good won’t last. We’re tensing even before anything actually happens. Sadly, in those moments of tightening to protect ourselves, we can’t really enjoy the life that’s here.

We cultivate a heart that is ready for anything when we trust our belongingness to the Earth, our belonging to timeless loving presence. When such trust flowers, we find peace in the midst of this living-dying world. We can actually be here for the moment and cherish it, rather than resist what might happen.

Ajahn Cha, a wonderful teacher of many of the teachers in the West, would take a glass that he always drank out of, hold it up and say:

I love this glass. Do you see this? I love this glass. It holds the water admirably. When the sun shines on it, it reflects the light beautifully. When I tap it, it has a lovely ring.

Yet for me, the glass is already broken. When the wind knocks it over or my elbow knocks it off the shelf and it falls to the ground and shatters I say “Of course.”

But when I understand that this glass is already broken, every minute with it is precious.

Can you imagine opening without resistance to the aliveness, change and loss that is inherent in this existence? Can you imagine opening in this very moment to the pleasantness and pain, the changing flow of life? It is that openness that awakens the lion’s roar. It is that openness that allows us to live with a heart that is ready for anything.

© Tara Brach""

Really love the quote about the glass. Andrew quotes that guy too in his book Dreams of Light.

2 Likes

Quick update to all. It happened. I reached three days early. To my surprise, I have no idea how. The precision of the timing is very surreal in many ways.

I became a father, too, in December. Our child arrived a few hours before my girlfriend’s birthday.

Realization > There is so much fun and joy in learning. I think I “grew up” too fast. I can’t wait to return to the Dream Yoga and Dream of Light material so much to uncover.

I travelled to the middle east to heal, rest and prepare. All the glory, as always, goes to mother nature.

4 Likes

Powerful stuff, thanks for sharing

4 Likes

Very true words. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Safe travels.

4 Likes

Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Very cool that the baby was born so close to the mother :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hello,

I live in West Yorkshire, welcome!!

Thanks

Steve

3 Likes